Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I need to return my Dish dish when I cancel?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

I'm moving from Dish to Directv in about a month - I like Dish, I just want Sunday Ticket and can't get it outside of Directv any longer (had it on the PS3 offering and then the EA offering last year.) Anyway, when I cancel I assume they will send me boxes to return my 3 receivers back in. What about the actual dish? Do they expect me to return that?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

If the satellite is safely reachable you would want to return the LNBF on the dish. That is the front part of the satellite dish that has the eyes on it. IF it is not safely reachable you would not need to return it.

• fudpucker likes this

Jason Surber

Social Media representative

Sun - Weds 11:00-10:00 PM MST

#3 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

If the satellite is safely reachable you would want to return the LNBF on the dish. That is the front part of the satellite dish that has the eyes on it. IF it is not safely reachable you would not need to return it.

Jason, I have no way to safely reach the LNBF, it is up on top of a second floor rooftop (I was frightened for the installer when he put it up there!) + I have a severe back injury that would make going up on a roof pretty risky. Will there be a process to ensure I don't get charged for it? Thanks for the quick reply, BTW - one area where Dish really has a competitive advantage is you DIRT guys, gonna miss you guys!

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

I've never heard of anyone getting charged for not returning an lnb.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

One needs to tell DISH that they cannot safely reach the LNB to return it ... no long story or proof required. There have been a couple of posts from people who simply ignored the request for the LNB and received a bill. Or so they claimed, It is easy enough just to tell DISH when you cannot reach it.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Just send you medical history as a proof by fax. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Just send you medical history as a proof by fax. ;)

As James made abundantly clear, you only need to tell them, not prove it to them.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

You missed the wink, it was a joke.

#9 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

You missed the wink, it was a joke.

I got it. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Jason, I have no way to safely reach the LNBF, it is up on top of a second floor rooftop (I was frightened for the installer when he put it up there!) + I have a severe back injury that would make going up on a roof pretty risky. Will there be a process to ensure I don't get charged for it? Thanks for the quick reply, BTW - one area where Dish really has a competitive advantage is you DIRT guys, gonna miss you guys!

We are going to hate to lose you as a customer. I hope your new service works well for you. As long as the receiver is returned the charge is never put on the account. I can also note the account for you. Send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account and I will ahve it done in no time.

Jason Surber

Social Media representative

Sun - Weds 11:00-10:00 PM MST

#11 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

We are going to hate to lose you as a customer. I hope your new service works well for you. As long as the receiver is returned the charge is never put on the account. I can also note the account for you. Send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account and I will ahve it done in no time.

Jason, thanks, I will do that as soon as I call DTV and get it installed (don't want to cancel dish until the other system is in place and working) - and the move is purely due to Sunday Ticket. I had Directtv from 1995 to 2009, then switched to Dish with some anxiety in 2009 (I think it was then?) because we moved and DTV didn't carry the locals in HD in our area (they do now.) We've been happy with Dish. I appreciate the help and will connect with you in the next few weeks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...