Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New GenieGO - Not impressed!

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I am not impressed at all so far. 

1. I must be on wifi to stream out of the home?

Why can I not utilize my LTE data connection on my iphone?  I can use the LTE by turing on the hotspot feature and then view on my ipad.  I can use it one way but not the other.  Makes no sense!

2. I am trying to stream on my imac right now in home and it is constantly pausing making viewing a show ridiculously frustrating! 

GG is hooked into my router.  I have 3 dvr's 2 HR24 &1 HR21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, streaming isn't the GenieGo's strong suit.

It works much better for downloading content and playing back the show from memory. That's its niche.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Does the app not buffer video during streaming?

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

GenieGo is primarily intended to be a device that supports downloaded content to be taken with you on a mobile device. No Internet connection is required for this main purpose. It works extremely well for what it was designed to do as this main capability.

While streaming is also supported as a secondary function, like any other streaming offering, how well it works depends on the quality of your Internet connection and bandwidth (speed). Streaming support was nearly an afterthought for this device.

• tnd777 likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

GenieGo is primarily intended to be a device that supports downloaded content to be taken with you on a mobile device. No Internet connection is required for this main purpose. It works extremely well for what it was designed to do as this main capability.

While streaming is also supported as a secondary function, like any other streaming offering, how well it works depends on the quality of your Internet connection and bandwidth (speed). Streaming support was nearly an afterthought for this device.

I don't travel very often, but when I like to put a couple movies on my ipad to watch on the plane. The Xfinity app shows downloadable movies and I simply click " Download". Then it's on the Ipad when I want it. There are no special devices, nothing to install, or services involved. Why can't it be that simple with DirecTV?

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Haven't used a GG since the end of April, but I used streaming a lot for 2-3 months before. I had no playback issues that weren't related to network problems, outside the GG's control.

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I don't travel very often, but when I like to put a couple movies on my ipad to watch on the plane. The Xfinity app shows downloadable movies and I simply click " Download". Then it's on the Ipad when I want it. There are no special devices, nothing to install, or services involved. Why can't it be that simple with DirecTV?

Does it allow you to download anything, or just selected movies? If it's the latter, there's a difference right there.

#8 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Does it allow you to download anything, or just selected movies? If it's the latter, there's a difference right there.

You're right, not everything. But I believe that's an issue of licensing and agreements, not hardware and software. My point is that I believe the GenieGo hardware and software is an unnecessary barrier. The technology I seek exists simply with an app... Nothing else. Am I wrong? I mean I could be wrong and am seeking an explanation of why the "GenieGo system" is needed... Or more desirable.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

With the GenieGo I can load up anything I have recorded on the DVR, no restriction as to what can be loaded, though it does expire. No Internet connection needed. I bet they don't want to deal with upset customers that exhausted their mobile data limit as well.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

You're right, not everything. But I believe that's an issue of licensing and agreements, not hardware and software. My point is that I believe the GenieGo hardware and software is an unnecessary barrier. The technology I seek exists simply with an app... Nothing else. Am I wrong? I mean I could be wrong and am seeking an explanation of why the "GenieGo system" is needed... Or more desirable.

With the GenieGo I can load up anything I have recorded on the DVR, no restriction as to what can be loaded, though it does expire. No Internet connection needed. I bet they don't want to deal with upset customers that exhausted their mobile data limit as well.

GenieGo and the XFinity streaming app are designed to provide different services and functions - so comparisons are of little value.

GenieGo has no dependency on Internet access once content is downloaded to a mobile device - you can view content on your mobile device anytime, anywhere. Streaming can be done too...but again...it's not the main purpose of that offering. If you're in a hotel, on a plane, in an airport, in a car...and can't get good Internet connectivity or any connectivity at all - GenieGo lets you watch any downloaded content that you have taken with you on your mobile device.

XFinity's mobile app is specifically designed for streaming content...so some form of connectivity is required. You can't download hours upon hours of content and then watch it later at your convenience without an Internet connection.

Apples and Oranges.

#11 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

The technology I seek exists simply with an app... Nothing else. Am I wrong? I mean I could be wrong and am seeking an explanation of why the "GenieGo system" is needed... Or more desirable.

But it's been established that the app has limits. You're downloading limited content, not anything that you want from your DVR. If Comcast let you transfer anything that you have, yeah, that's a better way to go, but they don't.

A Hopper from Dish with either a Sling adapter or Sling built in is the best I've seen at both streaming content and offloading programming to a device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

But it's been established that the app has limits. You're downloading limited content, not anything that you want from your DVR. If Comcast let you transfer anything that you have, yeah, that's a better way to go, but they don't.

A Hopper from Dish with either a Sling adapter or Sling built in is the best I've seen at both streaming content and offloading programming to a device.

Having viewed the GenieGo for years, XFinity app at 2 locations, and Dish offering at CES this past January...they all serve a purpose (each a bit different)...but not sure I'd rate Dish as the best...in fact...the video quality on their offering was the poorest quality of the 3 choices. 

Then again...it's nice to have choices....as long as people realize these are all a bit different from each other.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

With the GenieGo I can load up anything I have recorded on the DVR, no restriction as to what can be loaded, though it does expire.

Did they remove the restrictions on OTA, RSN, VOD and PPV content?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Having viewed the GenieGo for years, XFinity app at 2 locations, and Dish offering at CES this past January...they all serve a purpose (each a bit different)...but not sure I'd rate Dish as the best...in fact...the video quality on their offering was the poorest quality of the 3 choices.

I've seen them all in the real world, and for my money the Hopper with Sling wins hands down. The only thing that comes close is my Slingbox, but it's a Solo and I believe the Hopper streams at higher resolution than it does.

The Sling features of the Hooper, both streaming and offloading are the only things I actually would prefer Dish for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using DBSTalk mobile app

#15 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I can finally weigh in on the GenieGo after purchasing one from Solid Signal just before the July 4th weekend. I received the original model and was advised by my brethren here to use the GGo app for my iOS devices. But the lure of using the DirectTV iPad app tasked me. It works sort of. It streams a bit then locks up, most of the time the 30 second rewind works to reset the stream but frustrating this is.

I added a memory stick and it would not format until I burnt a license for GG on a Mickey$oft Windup (Microsoft Windows) 8.1 laptop which displayed the request to format and add the additional memory. Well now, , , it streamed flawlessly to the laptop which is just above the minimum requirements for GG. Hmm. . .

Transcoding and downloading to the iOS devices has been flawless! It is a GREAT product for this purpose! In this context Mongo happy :) Wife went in for a tooth extraction last week and I watched "The Bridge" on an iPaid2 in the waiting room.

So I had a small bonus show up and went out and nabbed a new iPod Touch and an iPaid Mini (both 32G) and I gave in to the advice the wise ones here gave me initially and downloaded the GG app for iOS on both. Streaming has been flawless! (after I restarted one of my wireless access points that had been orphaned by a power outage last Friday).

So I strongly suggest you try the GG specific apps based on tribal knowledge and my own experiences.

The DirectTV iPaid app has a teasing amount of the GG setup options to display, I have found nothing on the GG specific app on iOS for these setup controls :( . The WindUp app seems to have it all for setting up though.

So based on my lumpy experiences, at least operationally for iOS devices (and WindUp 8.1) the GG app is the shizzle. The regular DirectTV app for at least iPad has promise but it cannot quite fulfill for the GG end of things. At least that is what I have seen.

Now I have to wait two weeks to free off the initial 2 iPaid licenses so I can transfer them to the working applications.

Don "ecstatic that I finally can stream off the DVRs directly in home and it works without tinkering!" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I primarily use the DAFI app for GG and it transcodes, downloads, and streams fine both in and out of home.  The only gotcha  would recommend is kill the multi-task when switching in / out of home or vice versa.  It finds the GG much faster.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I've seen them all in the real world, and for my money the Hopper with Sling wins hands down. The only thing that comes close is my Slingbox, but it's a Solo and I believe the Hopper streams at higher resolution than it does.

The Sling features of the Hooper, both streaming and offloading are the only things I actually would prefer Dish for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using DBSTalk mobile app

My viewings were all in the "real world", and respectfully disagree regarding the comparable Dish offering - the image presentation was visibly inferior to GenieGo. Even the manager at the Dish booth showing the demo apologized and blamed it on "the iPad2 wasn't a good model to show it".

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

I am not impressed at all so far. 

1. I must be on wifi to stream out of the home?

JB'ing will remove this restriction.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Did they remove the restrictions on OTA, RSN, VOD and PPV content?

One of the GenieGo2 reviewers said OTA can be viewed.

RSN? I have never had a problem transcoding my RSNs.

But I can't transcode any out of market pro-sports games even with a subscription (NHL CI). Those, for GenieGo purposes only, are considered PPV.

I also seem to remember someone posting that Adult channels can't be transcoded. But I don't subscribe to any, so I can't confirm.

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

One of the GenieGo2 reviewers said OTA can be viewed.

I'm unable to test, but I heard the GG1 can also transcode OTA now. Hopefully someone can confirm.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...