Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Genie 0x08C2/0x08D4, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

HR44-700/AM21 (and an HR34-700/AM21 combo, too, but no real need to submit another report for this well-known and oft-reported issue) 

Report All ID: 20140730-TQVH

As has been occurring and reported for many, many, many cycles, AM21 OTA channels, both primary and secondary, either briefly, or more-than-briefly, but quite consistently, lose video, audio, or both at the hour and/or half-hour.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 31 July 2014 - 05:10 AM.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

You must have missed the part about wanting to access the info without having to use the DVR. :-)

An example of what I'm talking about,

vNRMca.jpg

This info can also be seen at TiVo.com and on mobile device TiVo apps. DIRECTV is a dinosaur when it comes to accessing this info.

I thought you were only talking about the to do list in terms of being at the DVR.

I could not agree more I think it's absolutely ridiculous we don't have any online management via webpage. My replay TV had that over a decade ago! as I'm concerned it's inexcusable.
  • keenan likes this

#43 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Still no fix for the phantom caller-ID issue....

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#44 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I thought you were only talking about the to do list in terms of being at the DVR.

I could not agree more I think it's absolutely ridiculous we don't have any online management via webpage. My replay TV had that over a decade ago! as I'm concerned it's inexcusable.

Yup, this and no season/episode numbers are by far my biggest peeves about DIRECTV's service, that and the audio dropout/glitch thing but I've tried to just ignore that as it seems to be something that will never ever be fixed. 

#45 OFFLINE   sydneybird11

sydneybird11

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

I received the update on 7/30 at 1:18am Phoenix time on my HR44/200.  Once again I lost my DVR recordings that were recorded before about 7/27 from my HR44/200 and the networked HR24/500 (went from 50% free to 92% free), and lost all VOD downloads.  Tried the 2 reboots within 30 minutes trick for each box which did not result in getting my recordings back.  I used to think this was a random event every month or so but it seems this happens with every software update on either the HR44 or HR24.  DTV has no solution.  I spent the last 6 months replacing 3 wireless mini's with wired mini's then with HD boxes and replaced the HR44/200 Genie once.  Always hoping the next equipment replacement or software upgrade will fix this problem.  I want to go back to a Genie-free system but that is a $100 upgrade.  I want to quit but I'm locked into the contract.  Any suggestions?  I have escalated my issues to the office of the president.  We'll see.

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

There's plenty they can do about it, and yes, the guide data I get via my Comcast cable connected TiVo Roamio is excellent, providing episode and season numbers.  Either DIRECTV is too cheap to pay for the guide data package that includes that info, their programmers don't know how to incorporate it in the software or it's patent protected and DIRECTV doesn't want to pay the licensing. I have no idea, but it's utterly ridiculous that DIRECTV doesn't have this data.

To be clear, DIRECTV has the worst guide data of about 3-4 providers I've seen. I've been with DIRECTV for over 15 yrs and it's something that has always annoyed about the service.

"OADs" ?

P.S. Having those episode/season numbers might solve some of those errors.

Too cheap?  hah... programmers don't know?  doubtful...  Have you ever thought maybe they don't want to put the data there?  

And you have options.  If you don't like what DirecTV provides you then you can take your money elsewhere.  

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Yup, this and no season/episode numbers are by far my biggest peeves about DIRECTV's service, that and the audio dropout/glitch thing but I've tried to just ignore that as it seems to be something that will never ever be fixed. 

Just out of curiosity why do you require season and episode numbers?  What do you do with that info and why does it have to be in the info on your DVR? 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Just out of curiosity why do you require season and episode numbers?  What do you do with that info and why does it have to be in the info on your DVR? 

I use them so I can watch shows in the proper order.  Also for general info.

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I use them so I can watch shows in the proper order.  Also for general info.

But they record in the proper order.   Not all shows air by their actual episode ID.  They air in the order the makers want them aired in.  Sometimes if watched by episode ID they make no sense. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

But they record in the proper order. Not all shows air by their actual episode ID. They air in the order the makers want them aired in. Sometimes if watched by episode ID they make no sense.

It airs in the order the channel wants to air them in. Big difference. It can make less sense to watch them in air order.

#51 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

But they record in the proper order.   Not all shows air by their actual episode ID.  They air in the order the makers want them aired in.  Sometimes if watched by episode ID they make no sense. 

It airs in the order the channel wants to air them in. Big difference. It can make less sense to watch them in air order.

Plus, many channels air repeats and with premium channels there's sometimes an east and west feed with different airtimes.

A perfect example is when I recorded the Showtime series about climate change. I had started recording the episodes after the show had first started airing so I was collecting the episodes from both east and west channels and in groups where they would air several "catchup" episodes all in a row. Without any season or episode numbers I had no idea what order to watch them in without using a third party website and matching up the episode titles, at least it had those!  

There's no rational reason for purposely leaving that info out of the guide data unless it's money, or they can't figure out how to do it or the hardware is not capable of it. I'm leaning toward it simply being that DIRECTV doesn't want to pay extra for the guide data package that includes that info from TMS or who ever it is they use.

Besides, didn't someone mention earlier that the info is available when using a mobile device for playback? If it's there why can't it be on DIRECTV's 'cat's meow super duper" advanced(????)  DVR?

#52 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

HR44-700/AM21 (and an HR34-700/AM21 combo, too, but no real need to submit another report for this well-known and oft-reported issue) 

Report All ID: 20140730-TQVH

As has been occurring and reported for many, many, many cycles, AM21 OTA channels, both primary and secondary, either briefly, or more-than-briefly, but quite consistently, lose video, audio, or both at the hour and/or half-hour.

I have not gotten this update yet, but I'm very sorry to hear that this has not been fixed yet.  It is one of my biggest gripes with the HR44.  All of a sudden while watching TV the picture just goes blank and audio cuts out.  The strange thing is that if the subtitles are turned on, they continue to appear as if things were continuing normally.

SMK 

Edited by RoyGBiv, 02 August 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I disagree...  

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Plus, many channels air repeats and with premium channels there's sometimes an east and west feed with different airtimes.

A perfect example is when I recorded the Showtime series about climate change. I had started recording the episodes after the show had first started airing so I was collecting the episodes from both east and west channels and in groups where they would air several "catchup" episodes all in a row. Without any season or episode numbers I had no idea what order to watch them in without using a third party website and matching up the episode titles, at least it had those!  

There's no rational reason for purposely leaving that info out of the guide data unless it's money, or they can't figure out how to do it or the hardware is not capable of it. I'm leaning toward it simply being that DIRECTV doesn't want to pay extra for the guide data package that includes that info from TMS or who ever it is they use.

Besides, didn't someone mention earlier that the info is available when using a mobile device for playback? If it's there why can't it be on DIRECTV's 'cat's meow super duper" advanced(????)  DVR?

As noted above the data is in their app and on their website.  This is not an issue where they don't want to pay for the data because clearly they have it.  You can drop that from your theory.

It's quite possible they just don't feel it's important enough to clutter up the "info" on a show when the "info" area is already a cluttered mess.   

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#55 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

I disagree...  

Why? Many shows have aired episodes out of storyline order due to production issues or because the network thinks that certain episodes will generate more early interest in a new show, or airing something out of order durings sweeps to generate more audience numbers for advertisers. 

Firefly is famous for having FOX air episodes out of order which damaged it's audience numbers and as a result the show was cancelled.

Hey, I'm a very reasonable person, if someone can give me a well thought out, logical and reasonable explanation why DIRECTV chooses to leave this info out of the guide info I'm all eyes and ears. Do tell, why do they do it??

And, why have so many others providers chosen to include the data? Off the top of my head, Comcast, TWC, AT&T, Cox... the list goes on. What's up with DIRIECTV????

:)

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

I disagree...

It happened with Almost Human, where the second episode aired 8th along with other switches. I didn't watch it, but they aired episodes season 1 of Don't Trust the B in season 2. Some shows it may not make a whole lot of difference, though it made you wonder how the uneasiness between the characters in Almost Human was seemingly resolved in episode 2, which was actually 5. I think they have done the same with some Joss Whedon shows.

One of the most famous examples was back in the 90s, with American Gothic, one episode the doctor leaves the show, then the next he's back with no explanation for an episode, then gone again.

This is not better.

#57 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

As noted above the data is in their app and on their website.  This is not an issue where they don't want to pay for the data because clearly they have it.  You can drop that from your theory.

It's quite possible they just don't feel it's important enough to clutter up the "info" on a show when the "info" area is already a cluttered mess.   

Clutter?

1qaAV3.jpg

MDIiam.jpg

Yeah, no, I'm not buying the clutter reason, there's plenty of space to about 6-10 characters containing the season and episode number. Clutter can't possibly be the reason.

#58 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

It happened with Almost Human, where the second episode aired 8th along with other switches. I didn't watch it, but they aired episodes season 1 of Don't Trust the B in season 2. Some shows it may not make a whole lot of difference, though it made you wonder how the uneasiness between the characters in Almost Human was seemingly resolved in episode 2, which was actually 5. I think they have done the same with some Joss Whedon shows.

One of the most famous examples was back in the 90s, with American Gothic, one episode the doctor leaves the show, then the next he's back with no explanation for an episode, then gone again.

Almost Human is an excellent example of a show ruined by airing out of order, it totally ruined how the relationship between the lead cops developed, a relationship that  was at the heart of the whole show. FOX again by the way...

Edited by keenan, 02 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

For comparison purposes, the below is from a TiVo.

This is what you see when browsing the guide, notice the season and episode number,

56ek72.jpg

This what you see when you select the show from the guide, notice the season and episode number,

J5s88g.jpg

This is what you see when you press "info" while watching the show, need I say it? :-)

B2eXbN.jpg

I'm curious, do the DIRECTV TiVos have this information? 

And it was asked why I don't just go with a different service the answer is because the good outweighs the bad with DIRECTV, and it provides programming I can't get elsewhere(MLB-EI). But, that doesn't mean I don't want the service to be better, and to implement something so simple and highly informative as season and episode data should not be that hard to do.

:-)

• DJ Lon likes this

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Why? Many shows have aired episodes out of storyline order due to production issues or because the network thinks that certain episodes will generate more early interest in a new show, or airing something out of order durings sweeps to generate more audience numbers for advertisers. 

Firefly is famous for having FOX air episodes out of order which damaged it's audience numbers and as a result the show was cancelled.

Hey, I'm a very reasonable person, if someone can give me a well thought out, logical and reasonable explanation why DIRECTV chooses to leave this info out of the guide info I'm all eyes and ears. Do tell, why do they do it??

And, why have so many others providers chosen to include the data? Off the top of my head, Comcast, TWC, AT&T, Cox... the list goes on. What's up with DIRIECTV????

:)

Why?  Because they are aired in the order that the producers want them to, not the network.  If they want them aired in a certain order they can have that because they produce the show and know what's best!

Firefly is the reason networks now do not determine air order.

"They don't want to" is pretty logical and reasonable.   

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...