Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Genie 0x08C2/0x08D4/0x8D6, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#226 OFFLINE   scottb8888

scottb8888

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

Checked.  I restarted again.  the guide is only a few days out.

The series manager is missing about 90% of the series we had.  The library of shows recorded is mostly intact.

Called in and Friday the tech came out and replaced the HR34 with an HR44.  He had no problem doing that!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#227 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

Running 0x08c2 on my HR34 now.  Got a new remote from DTV.  Receiver still has these 10-15-20 second "mini-freezes" where pushing a button on the remote does nothing.  Anybody else? 

#228 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Running 0x08c2 on my HR34 now. Got a new remote from DTV. Receiver still has these 10-15-20 second "mini-freezes" where pushing a button on the remote does nothing. Anybody else?

I have the same issue on my HR34, on the last two software releases. This one (0x8d4) is better than the last one, which was getting to be a real problem, receiver would become unresponsive about 50% of the time. Now, for me, the freezes occur about 20% of the time, and definitely on a daily basis. Before these last two releases, I had the HR34 for about a year where this literally never occurred. I am a long-time owner of a HR20-700, which I still have, so I have seen my share of this over the years. HR20 still has this issue intermittently, although it has improved greatly. This may be due to the fact that is it no longer the primary receiver for the family, since the HR34 came on board.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#229 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

Running 0x08c2 on my HR34 now.  Got a new remote from DTV.  Receiver still has these 10-15-20 second "mini-freezes" where pushing a button on the remote does nothing.  Anybody else? 

Is this while watching something and the image just freezes and no remote inputs will do anything, then it "releases" and starts playing again?

I've had this happen about 10 times over the last few weeks, very annoying. It seems as if the video decoder craps out and has to "re-buffer" or maybe the signal loses sync somehow but it doesn't seem to lose any data when it happens, it just stops playing and there's nothing you can do but wait, other than re-booting the DVR itself of course.

This is with an HR44 BTW.

Edited by keenan, 31 August 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#230 OFFLINE   jefirdjr

jefirdjr

War Eagle

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

I have been waiting for Direct TV to fix the HR34-700 remote response problem for quite some time.  I am approaching my limit on waiting.

My DVR will stop responding to the remote commands at the worst possible times! For example, I can be doing a skip back, and am unable to stop it until the unit "un-hangs".  By that time, it has skipped way too far.  It can be anywhere from a couple of seconds to 30 seconds that I have to wait before the remote commands will be accepted again.  This is VERY annoying!  Overall, when it IS accepting remote commands, it is slow.  My HR20-700 is MUCH faster than this HR34 POS!

Does anyone have any REAL inside as to whether a firmware fix is possible, or is the HR34 just a bad box???

• Blackfoot_Bandit likes this

(1)HR34-700 (1)C41-500 (1)HR20-700
Networked, OTA enabled, VOD enabled, MRV
Vizio XVT472SV using HDMI, Native OFF- Locked 1080i
1200 watt UPS

#231 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Are you using an RC 65x? RF or IR? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#232 OFFLINE   jefirdjr

jefirdjr

War Eagle

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Are you using an RC 65x? RF or IR? 

I am using an RC65RB remote in RF mode.  The remote is NOT the problem! I have tried several remotes, both RF and IR, and the problem doesn't  change.  The front panel leftmost light doesn't even blink while the problem is happening.

(1)HR34-700 (1)C41-500 (1)HR20-700
Networked, OTA enabled, VOD enabled, MRV
Vizio XVT472SV using HDMI, Native OFF- Locked 1080i
1200 watt UPS

#233 OFFLINE   ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Add me to the list of people whose HR34 ignores commands from the remote. This release has made the problem much worse for us. We got this release on 8/19. This is not a remote problem. It's a problem with the firmware in the HR34. The remote response problem happens while watching in the bedroom on the genie client (completely different remote than in the living room where the HR34 is), except on the genie client, I can see the light blinking indicating the genie client received the remote's command. Something on the HR34 is busy processing such that the commands are dropped.

This used to happen occasionally, but with this release it happens 50% of the time. I'd call and get this HR34 replaced, but they'll probably just send me another HR34.

#234 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

My picture never freezes.  The freezes come mainly when I am scrolling throught the guide or scrolling through a favorites list.  However, I have had occassions where I was in the FFW mode and I pressed PLAY, and the receiver stayed in the FFW mode and, maddeningly, went ahead about 20 minutes before it woke up and went back into PLAY.  The HR34n is also oftentime unresponsive when I press EXIT.  Thanks for your replys.

#235 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,500 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

My picture never freezes.  The freezes come mainly when I am scrolling throught the guide or scrolling through a favorites list.  However, I have had occassions where I was in the FFW mode and I pressed PLAY, and the receiver stayed in the FFW mode and, maddeningly, went ahead about 20 minutes before it woke up and went back into PLAY.  The HR34n is also oftentime unresponsive when I press EXIT.  Thanks for your replys.

Have you turned Scrolling Effects to OFF ?

Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Display, Preferences

If you turn it off it should fly thru the Guide.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#236 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Have you turned Scrolling Effects to OFF ?

Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Display, Preferences

If you turn it off it should fly thru the Guide.

My HR34 has always had scrolling effects OFF and has freezing problems. Yes, I can scroll fast through the guide but then it appears as if a buffer fills up and it just freezes for some period of time. The problems have gone from bad to completely unacceptable with 8d4 firmware. It not only freezes but channels changes take forever (as others have reported). I timed one channel change at roughly 20 seconds. That's defines sloooow.

I got to wonder if DTV actually tests their firmware releases. How could they not see this horribly slow performance. It's beyond me.

#237 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

I got to wonder if DTV actually tests their firmware releases. How could they not see this horribly slow performance. It's beyond me.

I'm not trying to make light of your frustration, but this mildly amuses me because I see almost the exact same comments on FiOS and Comcast forums whenever a new firmware is released. Maybe they all use the same tester pool? :) 

#238 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

My HR34 has always had scrolling effects OFF and has freezing problems. Yes, I can scroll fast through the guide but then it appears as if a buffer fills up and it just freezes for some period of time. 

Make a smaller custom guide: problem ameliorated! 

#239 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm not trying to make light of your frustration, but this mildly amuses me because I see almost the exact same comments on FiOS and Comcast forums whenever a new firmware is released. Maybe they all use the same tester pool? :)

Maybe you're on to something. It is the same tester pool...it is us. 

• sangs likes this

#240 OFFLINE   ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Add me to the list of people whose HR34 ignores commands from the remote. This release has made the problem much worse for us. We got this release on 8/19. This is not a remote problem. It's a problem with the firmware in the HR34. The remote response problem happens while watching in the bedroom on the genie client (completely different remote than in the living room where the HR34 is), except on the genie client, I can see the light blinking indicating the genie client received the remote's command. Something on the HR34 is busy processing such that the commands are dropped.

This used to happen occasionally, but with this release it happens 50% of the time. I'd call and get this HR34 replaced, but they'll probably just send me another HR34.

My HR34 just went into a state where it wouldn't respond to anything. I was watching a recorded show, and I couldn't even stop it. I had to hit the red button to manually reset.

#241 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,482 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Make a smaller custom guide: problem ameliorated

You like that word, don’t you?  :rotfl:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#242 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

And who doesn't??  :)

You seem to indicate I have used it lots before. Have a link or several? 

#243 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Freezing problem on HR34 has gotten much worse over the past two days. Now this happens more than 50% of the time, and more than the last update did. To be clear, it doesn't just happen when scrolling in the guide, it happens when any series of remote commands are initiated. I hope this is able to be resolved on a future update.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#244 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

This has really gotten bad. I expect I could get it changed for a 44 if I complained, but we're backed up on our TV and I'd loose our recordings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#245 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 240 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Add me to the list who has gone from good to worse to terrible. My HR34 is routinely locking up in the guide for 20-30 seconds at a time. I've also locked up during recordings and channel changes. I want to watch TV, not sit and wait for this garbage receiver to catch up.

I will be calling this week to talk to retention - my contract is up and this is ridiculous. 

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#246 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

What's a few hundred bucks or much cheaper HR44 on ebay,  

It saves you the nagging unresponsive issue for every sw update they release   leased or owned.

Then return the HR34 if they still want it.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#247 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

I talked to DTV tech support this am. They said they are aware of the freezing, stalling issues on the HR34 and working on a solution. They asked if they could download data from my DVR (since it is connected to the internet). The tech support person couldn't even get that to work correctly. After several tries of me entering in smart search codes, they gave up. I just got the feeling that this does not bode well for a quick, effective solution.

I asked for a timeline on a solution and there is none. I asked why pre-release testing didn't catch this. The answer was the problem wasn't this bad initially and seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure I buy all that but if that is true, I still wonder if a buffer is filling up. Oh well, I hope they fix this asap.

#248 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm very surprised to read that some folks actually have hope for the HR34. To me, it just seems like the normal progression that the DVR's have taken over the years. Most likely, the software has outgrown what the HR34 can handle. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time before the HR44 suffers the same fate, I'm sure.

#249 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,347 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

Almost every DoD from MTV, A&E, CNBC, Food Network, Spike and others has quick audio drop outs about every 5 seconds.

HR44, hardwired internet.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#250 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Most likely, the software has outgrown what the HR34 can handle. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time before the HR44 suffers the same fate, I'm sure.

I think that's already happening. There must be a 54 about to be released!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...