Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Genie 0x08C2/0x08D4/0x8D6, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

I called the retention department today to discuss my options because I have reached my tolerance level with the HR34-700's horrible lag/freezing up issues.  Was told that instead of the little genie client they could swap that for an HD-Dvr which would hopefully help with it and I was totally on board with trying that - but I would have to lock in for another 2 year agreement.  I explained that I was NOT willing to do that at this point for them to band-aid the issue and that it really didn't sit well with me because the only reason I have the HR34-700 is because I had horrible lag with the previous HD-Dvr that I had prior and the HR34 and I already locked in for two years for that change.  So I said that I guess I'm going to have to search out other options at this point, and they seemed fine with that.  

Completely unacceptable.  And the part that really gets me is that we pay a fee for DVR service.  It shouldn't be crippled like this for a paid service.  I don't get that either, it's all locally stored content why is there a monthly fee?  So irritated right now.

Only other way is get a HR44 owned through ebay, it's pricey though and return back HR34,  unless the HR34 fails with a tech replacing it,  That's the only option at this point,  or get leased with 2 year commitment for less on ebay also.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

I saw a suspicious HR44 for $279 owned on ebay, it says brand new never installed or used,  If it's owned I would guess is from a previous owner's account,  but it does provide RID,  but I think is leased although it needs new access card purchase.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#343 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:39 AM

I received 0x8D6 for my HR34 and it fixed the guide delay issues :).

The recording I played back worked perfectly also so fingers crossed!

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#344 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well, after dealing with the complete system lockups over the last week and a half I started running some tests. Turns out my hard drive in my HR34 is failing. Called DirecTV and they are sending a replacement.

Hoping for a HR44 but fully expecting a refurbed HR34.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#345 OFFLINE   gvc

gvc

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

I received 0x8D6 for my HR34 and it fixed the guide delay issues :).

The recording I played back worked perfectly also so fingers crossed!

I received that update Sept 30 and since then no major problems except yesterday.  rewinding the live buffer caused the audio to stop and rewinding to the beginning of a live show (on demand rewind) gave error 4 message.  had two recordings cancel on me last night due to error.  I rebooted this morning and all is back to normal.  the cancelled recordings were set up to re-record today by the receiver automatically.

#346 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

I noticed today on the HR44 that the some of my first-run series links aren't set to record shows with new episodes whereas others are set just fine. Same goes for tomorrow night on a different channel. It's not just a data issue as the HR21 was set to record things on the same channels just fine. A reset via the menu did not correct the situation but at least I was able to catch the shows I missed later in the night on the west coast feed.

I'll probably go through the list tomorrow and just delete/re-enter the ones that are currently broken.

#347 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

Sometimes a double reset within 30 minutes will completely clear the Guide cache, and it will be rebuilt over the next day or so. If your set had a reboot (before you did so) it could have flushed the Guide also, and that could be a reason why recordings don't show out far. 

Sometimes shows in a series recording list won't show with the R dot until close to the time it records. As long as the shows due to be recorded in the next half day or so are marked, you should be good. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#348 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Received software update to my HR24-200 early this AM.  Software update says "0x08ca."  Am I to interpret that this morning's update did not apply to the HR24 but to other models?  Curious, as to whether this update is a fix to the response to signals from the remote.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

#349 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

Looks like they started a distribution of a new NR 0x0929.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#350 OFFLINE   jamoke

jamoke

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

Got the 0x0929 update a few moments ago.

#351 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

Anything new with it or just "under the hood"?

#352 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Anything new with it or just "under the hood"?

No new features with this update.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#353 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

HR34/0x8d4

Still suffering from sporadic remote delays and/or lockouts. In addition (and I haven't seen it mentioned), every time I do a normal button press I get the aural error "bonk" which has become aggravating as hell. It started with the previous release to 0x8d4. Silly me, I thought this release would've fixed it. :rolleyes:

And before you all tell me to just turn the aural error bonk off, the HR34 is my Mom's (who is technologically challenged) and she relies on that bonk sound to let her know she's made a mistake.

I have an HR24 that was giving me the bonk sound and I was using a remote that was only a year old. I thought surely that I had worn it out so I bought 2 more on Ebay. Tonight my receiver told me the batteries in the remote were low and I should change them. Instead I put new batteries in one of the new remotes and set it up for my TV. Wow, works great and the bonk sound is gone.

Then I got to wondering if it was the new remote or the new batteries. I put 2 new batteries in the year old remote and used it for awhile. No bonk sound now using it either.

It could be a coincidence that the new software came out at the same time your batteries are weak.

Try replacing the batteries and see if the bonk goes away.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#354 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

I just turn off the sound effects so I won't hear that navigation "bonk" sound it's annoying.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#355 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

HR34-700 8d6 LOCKUP

20141012-C699 ERROR: 3

When I started playing NFL ST games in PIP mode I noticed that the annoying Prompt appeared only once then never showed up again. The enhanced report still worked by hitting the red button.

PIP whitching worked very well.

When halftime started on the early games I went to send DirecTV a "HAPPY GRAM" thanking them for fixing the issue!!

With two games being displayed in PIP mode I hit the info screen to get the software version for the report and the game on the main display went into the small box upper left and info displayed normally.

The Genie then LOCKED UP!!!!

It would not take any remote commands nor would it respond to any buttons on the box including power.

Let it set in this state for 3 or 4 minutes and the info screen cleared and it went back to the PIP display that I had been watching however it would still not respond to remote or on the box.

Did a red button and normal operation returned.

Shortly after the restart I noticed on some of the games the audio sounded like it was muffled like talking under water. Othr games sounded ok. Not unusual to get different audio levels across several NFL games,

Later in the evening while playing a recorded program the audio muffled sound issue returned. Most times the back button a few times would ckear it up, sometimes not.

I have been defending the HR34's operation since I first got it but I'm about to join the "Its broken Club"!!!

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...