Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Genie 0x08C2/0x08D4/0x8D6, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I also find it ridiculous that you can schedule a recording online but can't check to see what you have scheduled to record. 

That is the easy part, as the request goes via satellite and satellite is a one way street, so there needs to be a lot more to get this done!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Got 0x8c2 this morning. Search on MENUSC doesn't display any list of shortcuts mentioned in the release notes. Pressing Menu + number does nothing. Also can't find anything about HDMI CEC.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

You must do an smart search to enable.  And no "list" will be display

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

That is the easy part, as the request goes via satellite and satellite is a one way street, so there needs to be a lot more to get this done!

The DVR is connected to the Internet so it shouldn't be that hard to do, even just a local LAN app for a PC or smart phone would be an improvement over no option at all.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

The DVR is connected to the Internet so it shouldn't be that hard to do, even just a local LAN app for a PC or smart phone would be an improvement over no option at all.

Not fair to switch topic while on conversation.  My reply was for access over the inter webs.  Obviously access in your LAN is a piece of cake, but that is not what you suggested.  Internet access is much more complicated 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Not fair to switch topic while on conversation.  My reply was for access over the inter webs.  Obviously access in your LAN is a piece of cake, but that is not what you suggested.  Internet access is much more complicated 

I'm just looking for any way to find the information that's all. But I suspect that's in the same pile of things they may or may not do as the why no episode numbers in guide data is. ;-)

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Menu7 will get you there a little quicker.  It would be nice if you had to option to set them to whatever you want.  CC on/off would be one of mine.

I thought Menu7 was for Series Manager.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm just looking for any way to find the information that's all. But I suspect that's in the same pile of things they may or may not do as the why no episode numbers in guide data is. ;-)

Heh. The Guide data has enough errors already- and there's not a whole lot DIRECTV can do about it. It's something I'd like if it were accurate. Are other providers giving Ep. Numbers? 

I'd be very happy with accurate OADs in the first Info button. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I thought Menu7 was for Series Manager.

It looks like it goes to Manage Recordings.  To Do list should be the first on the list. 

So I imagine you would mash Menu7 and then select.  That should get you to To Do list.  Not too bad...3 buttons mashes.

#29 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Heh. The Guide data has enough errors already- and there's not a whole lot DIRECTV can do about it. It's something I'd like if it were accurate. Are other providers giving Ep. Numbers? 

I'd be very happy with accurate OADs in the first Info button. 

There's plenty they can do about it, and yes, the guide data I get via my Comcast cable connected TiVo Roamio is excellent, providing episode and season numbers.  Either DIRECTV is too cheap to pay for the guide data package that includes that info, their programmers don't know how to incorporate it in the software or it's patent protected and DIRECTV doesn't want to pay the licensing. I have no idea, but it's utterly ridiculous that DIRECTV doesn't have this data.

To be clear, DIRECTV has the worst guide data of about 3-4 providers I've seen. I've been with DIRECTV for over 15 yrs and it's something that has always annoyed about the service.

"OADs" ?

P.S. Having those episode/season numbers might solve some of those errors.

Edited by keenan, 30 July 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

OAD-> Original Air Date. This is better than just Ep numbers, as if the season isn't also ID'ed, they can cause confusion. 

#31 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

There's plenty they can do about it, and yes, the guide data I get via my Comcast cable connected TiVo Roamio is excellent, providing episode and season numbers.  Either DIRECTV is too cheap to pay for the guide data package that includes that info, their programmers don't know how to incorporate it in the software or it's patent protected and DIRECTV doesn't want to pay the licensing. I have no idea, but it's utterly ridiculous that DIRECTV doesn't have this data.

To be clear, DIRECTV has the worst guide data of about 3-4 providers I've seen. I've been with DIRECTV for over 15 yrs and it's something that has always annoyed about the service.

"OADs" ?

P.S. Having those episode/season numbers might solve some of those errors.

I have seen episode and season numbers with directv.  It shows up when I use the directv app on my tablet.  So I guess they have the service, but it is not implemented on the receivers.  I also remember some really old receivers had a lot more info, this was way back before HD.  I think RCA receivers had more info that other receivers.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I have seen episode and season numbers with directv.  It shows up when I use the directv app on my tablet.  So I guess they have the service, but it is not implemented on the receivers.  I also remember some really old receivers had a lot more info, this was way back before HD.  I think RCA receivers had more info that other receivers.

And I just checked the online Guide on my laptop- Season and Ep numbers are there. It may be that design considerations- i.e.. Keep it simple and clean- overruled OADs and/or Ep numbers. 

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

It would have certainly been nice if one of those was for the "to do list". I find it crazy that the only way to see what you have scheduled to record is to go to the DVR itself and dig down into the menu a couple of layers. I also find it ridiculous that you can schedule a recording online but can't check to see what you have scheduled to record.

Actually going into the guide which is one button press is the fastest way to see if something is set to be recorded. ;)

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Actually going into the guide which is one button press is the fastest way to see if something is set to be recorded. ;)

How so If the show is a week form today?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

You must have missed the part about wanting to access the info without having to use the DVR. :-) 

An example of what I'm talking about,

vNRMca.jpg

This info can also be seen at TiVo.com and on mobile device TiVo apps. DIRECTV is a dinosaur when it comes to accessing this info. 

Edited by keenan, 30 July 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

I had it as well in the past, on a DIRECTV TiVo.

#37 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

To go to a week in the future, use the Guide feature of Jump to Date and Time.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

But how this correlates to the bottom 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

That doesn't help when you're 300 miles away from the DVR. The whole point is to see what's scheduled without having to be sitting right in front of the DVR. :-)

Edited by keenan, 30 July 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

CC on/off would be one of mine.

Yes, that's another one, way too many button presses just to turn on CC.

+1

Menu shortcuts are nice, but can we PLEASE get a PIP toggle already???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...