Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's with all these video ads suddenly in Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Within the last day or so, with no advance warning or notice, video ads have popped up while I'm on the Internet using Firefox. They're all in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I can close the vids, but only after 10 seconds have elapsed. I made no changes to my PC, Firefox, or my A/V software that I use. (Scans of my system show nothing bad or unwelcome.) I've always had the "block pop-ups" box, among other related settings, checked on Firefox. None of that seems to be making a difference, because as I said, this annoying crap just started.

This happens regardless of the site I am visiting. In the time it took me to come to this forum and post this, two of these damn ads came on. In addition, a large pop-up box about Seinfeld appeared.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix this?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Nothing of the sort happening to me on my Firefox, on any Web sites I visit.  That sounds a lot like some ad-ware I once had on my system years ago... something I had installed had left behind a thing that was feeding ads in the corner of my screen at random times.  I forget what it was or how I got rid of it, as it was so long ago... but it was related to some program I had installed and then uninstalled but it left its ad-reader behind when it uninstalled.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Do you have the extension ArcadeCandy Games. I fixed a friends firefox by getting rid of that extension. Try starting Firefox in safe mode with extensions disabled,if the pop ups go away its a bad extension.

Edited by onan38, 29 July 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Check out adblock plus.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Thanks, Gentlemen. I'll work on this when I get home.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,625 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Run Malwarebytes.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

You might also want to run ShouldIremoveit.  Very helpful program.     www.shouldiremoveit.com

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Run Malwarebytes.

I do that quite frequently. Unfortunately, Malwarebytes found nothing wrong during the scan I ran last night. Weird. 

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,625 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

I do that quite frequently. Unfortunately, Malwarebytes found nothing wrong during the scan I ran last night. Weird. 

Not weird if it's coming through a FF extension.  Somebody may have hi-jacked that extension.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I have been running an extension in FF called Noscripts. You can selectively deny access to any site that is showing on the screen.

It is free and they update it more than FF.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...