Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should Jeter be the first player to get elected to the Hall of Fame unanimously?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'll save my comments for later, but I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this.  Nobody has ever been voted in unanimously.  Does Jeter really deserve this major honor?

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

At one time, it was considered taboo for voters to vote for anyone in his first year of eligibility.  Jeter is an ordinary, first ballot Hall-of-Famer who has enjoyed the good fortune of playing his entire career in New York... and of being white. If the rules were changed and I could only vote for one player each year, I'd vote for Mariano Rivera before I'd vote for Jeter.

Edited by AntAltMike, 30 July 2014 - 11:05 AM.

• yosoyellobo and JACKIEGAGA like this

#3 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I seriously doubt that Jeter will be voted in unanimously. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I'm not one of the voters either.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#4 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

The sport writer are waiting for the coming of Jesus before they vote unanimously for a player on the first ballot. :) The one problem I have always had with the process is the waiting for years for some of the players to get in. To me a player is either a Hall of Famers or not.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'll save my comments for later, but I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this.  Nobody has ever been voted in unanimously.  Does Jeter really deserve this major honor?

Rich

There are too many Yankee haters in the media. There are also too many anti-NYC members in the media for any New York player to get an unanimously vote.

• Rich likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

At one time, it was considered taboo for voters to vote for anyone in his first year of eligibility.  Jeter is an ordinary, first ballot Hall-of-Famer who has enjoyed the good fortune of playing his entire career in New York... and of being white. If the rules were changed and I could only vote for one player each year, I'd vote for Mariano Rivera before I'd vote for Jeter.

Not sure what his race has to do with anything, but for accuracy's sake, he is biracial.
  • Rich likes this
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Being white? As in his race? He's mixed... black and white. Here's his parents -

image881111x.jpg

• Rich likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Rich

In a word No!

First ballot HOF for sure but plenty of players far far better than Jeter have failed to be voted in unanimously.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

IMO, it doesn't matter once you're in the HOF.  Unanimously or not, he's a HOFer.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

In a word No!

First ballot HOF for sure but plenty of players far far better than Jeter have failed to be voted in unanimously.

Agree. There's no bigger Jeter fan than me, but I'd be shocked if he was a unanimous choice. I'd also be shocked if he wasn't voted in on the first ballot.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,433 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm a Met fan and a Yankee hater, but Derek Jeter is one class act on and off the field. One helluva ballplayer. Unanimous all the way.

JACK,

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

The sport writer are waiting for the coming of Jesus before they vote unanimously for a player on the first ballot. :) The one problem I have always had with the process is the waiting for years for some of the players to get in. To me a player is either a Hall of Famers or not.

The five year wait is to prevent emotional voting.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

The five year wait is to prevent emotional voting.

I could have explain better. That is what I meant.

#14 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

I don't even think he's a first ballot HOF player.  Maybe third.  He played during the wrong era.  I honestly don't think anybody who played during any part of the steroid era will be a first ballot HOF player.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Certainly not Montero :)

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Agree. There's no bigger Jeter fan than me, but I'd be shocked if he was a unanimous choice. I'd also be shocked if he wasn't voted in on the first ballot.

That would shock me too.  I still haven't heard the comment I'm waiting for.  

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Rich

The knock on his fielding?

Comparison to Cal?

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

I don't even think he's a first ballot HOF player.  Maybe third.  He played during the wrong era.  I honestly don't think anybody who played during any part of the steroid era will be a first ballot HOF player.

You don't seriously think he took PEDs, do you?  Take a good look at him throughout his career, look at the pictures.  He still has the same body type he had in when he broke in.  I've stood a few feet away from him on several occasions and he shows no sign of ever using PEDs.  

Rich

#19 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Rich

If you think that Jeter is the greatest player in the history of baseball than why not. I do know that he be getting into the players hall of fame in the first round.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

The knock on his fielding?

Comparison to Cal?

Having watched the Yankees since 1948, I can truthfully say he's the best SS the Yankees had during that time.  I should say the best "all around" SS the Yanks had during that period.  To play that position for 20 years on the same team is really something.  

Comparison to Cal?  No. I do know he was pretty special too.  You really have to know how big a Yankees fan I am.  When we were looking at siding a few years ago, we tried to find pinstriped white siding.  If we had found it and had it installed, I would have had the interlocking NY painted on the siding in the front of my house.  Couldn't find the siding.  I know you're a big Yankees fan too.  

Still not the comment I want to hear.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...