Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Rugby FInal - Guide Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

We've had another flawless season of Super Rugby coverage on Channel 490-1.

Until now!

The Super Rugby Final is schedule for Saturday, August 2, at 5:40 AM EDT.

Unfortunately, it's in the Guide for Friday, August 1, at 5:40 EDT.

I've called in 3 times already and you can probably guess the creative stories I've heard.

No one seems to know anything about this or who to contact to fix it.

I know Tribune furnishes Guide data to DIrecTV, but do they also furnish this information?

And how can I contact someone - anyone - at DirecTV who might be able to fix this before it's too late?

SatelliteRacer, can you help?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

I believe TMS serves up all the Guide info, and DIRECTV® puts it in their format. Sometimes these things get straightened out in the middle of the night, but.... Are you concerned about others missing it? 

Flash: as of precisely 6:49:17 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 30, 2014, it says "Upcoming: Waratahs vs. Crusaders"... And everything else is TBA.... Including both times you mentioned or both 490 and 490-1.... 

To be continued.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Ah- Waratahs start at 2:40 a.m. PDT, Friday. Is that the match you're concerned about?

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Tribune doesn't handle the guide data for the Rugby channels, DirecTV does that on their own.

Unfortunately since DirecTV barely acknowledges that this exists or promotes it outside of a page on DirecTV.com, it will be hard to find a CSR who knows what it is.

Edited by KyL416, 30 July 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Good info- but how would one go about finding that out? And other channels they might handle? 

#6 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yes, the match is the Final between the Waratahs and the Crusaders, Saturday night in Sydney.

That channel only has live rugby matches with TBA listed at all other times.

I guess if it's not fixed in the Guide, I'll manually record the channel.

It would be a shame to have seen the entire season, except for the Final.

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

It's usually channels like the sports packages, RSN overflows and PPV. Check Tribune's data, if the channel doesn't exist in their data and instead something like INFOxxx or LOORxxx is shown in its place or the channel is there but the schedule is mostly filled with SIGN OFF instead of the actual programming, DirecTV is handling it on their own.

I've seen this happen before with the Rugby channels where they initially have the wrong date since the time difference makes it confusing, but it usually gets fixed. You might have better luck via e-mail since if the initial reply is wrong you can continue to follow up with them instead of starting over with a new CSR.

Edited by KyL416, 30 July 2014 - 08:14 PM.

• Laxguy likes this

#8 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

4 more calls today to D* on the subject.

4 more incredibly stupid answers.

Manually recording the channel at 05:40 EDT Saturday on the 1% chance the game shows up.

120 regular season games - Perfect.

4 playoff games - Perfect.

The Final - Who cares?

http://www.superxv.com/fixtures/

#9 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Well, someone got the message, as the match now appears correctly in the Guide for Saturday morning, 5:40 AM EDT.

And the game should be a cracker.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Good to hear. When I get home I will check to see if the recording I set up a few days ago has moved into the right time and place. 

#11 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have it set to record twice, once through normal recording which is scheduled to start at exactly kick off time.

And another manually set to record 40 minutes before game time and tacking on 90 minutes on the back end.

If we're lucky DirecTV will show the pre-match show.

There are interesting overtime rules which could add as much an hour to the event.

1)  Extra Time - If the scores are level at the conclusion of regulation time, the procedure will be:

After a five minute rest period, the extra time is played in two 10 minute periods with a two minute halftime;

2 ) Sudden Death – if the match is still tied at the end of extra time, the procedure will be:
An up to 10 minute sudden death period is played after another five minute rest period;
The first team to score (by a penalty, drop-goal or try) will be the winner;

3 ) Kicking Competition – if the match is still tied at the end of sudden death, the Referee will conduct a place kicking competition to determine the winner of the match. Those rules can be found here, and they are more complicated than penalty kicks in football, er, soccer.

http://www.superxv.com/about/

The home Waratahs are only 1.5 point favorites, but I think the Crusaders will nick it.

Edited by cmasia, 01 August 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just a followup- the recording I "set" via the Guide for this morning did not carry over to the correct time for tomorrow morning. Easy enough to remedy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...