Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI issue with HR44 and 3 mini Genies with AV receiver

Yamaha HR44 Genie HDMI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   engineercliff

engineercliff

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hello all-

First time I've posted here. Usually, when I have a DTV problem I come here and find out how to fix it. I am not so fortunate this time.

I've got an HR44 acting as a server. I have a theater with a JVC DLA RS49U projector fed from a Yamaha RS-A830 AV receiver where the HR44 is connected, or to be connected. All my devices are running the latest firmware. When I connect the HR44 to the Yamaha, the HR44 locks up and locks up all my mini Genies. I have to reboot the HR44 with the Yamaha disconnected. When I bypass the Yamaha and connect straight to the projector, it works great. The Yamaha claims to support pass through, but I find it strange that just connecting the HR44 to a receiver would bring it to its knees. I have component feeding a different display and it seems to be stable. I have disabled HDCP on all devices. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

I have disabled HDCP on all devices. Any ideas?

How are you accomplishing that?  There are no settings in the HR44 to disable its copy protection and any device that does removes it would be illegal or against the DMCA and perhaps the cause of your troubles.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

If I am reading the original post correctly you have a second TV connected to the Genie with component cables ??

If so, that might be  the problem. Disconnect them and try just using the HDMI to the Yamaha and then HDMI from there to the projector.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,249 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

I would find strange that a set of component cables will bring a receiver to its "knees"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

I remember reading a couple of posts recently that the new software was shutting down the unused connections on the HR44.

One post stated that the only way around that now was to use an HDMI powered splitter to feed 2 TVs.

Is this wrong ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

I remember reading a couple of posts recently that the new software was shutting down the unused connections on the HR44.

One post stated that the only way around that now was to use an HDMI powered splitter to feed 2 TVs.

Is this wrong ?

Yup, that is wrong.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Is this wrong ?

Sort of half right.

The HR44 enforces HDCP on HDMI on all channels (the DVRs only enforce this on premium movie channels). You can use the multiple outputs on the HR44 fine unless you put the HDMI-connected TV on standby.  With many TVs (including my Samsung) this causes the HDCP validation test on the HDMI link to fail, and the HR44 shuts down all its outputs. The only real way to solve this is to put an HDMI splitter on the HDMI connection, must be a powered one, and not all of them seem to work (ones from Monoprice seem to be OK). The HDMI splitter maintains HDCP compliance even when the HDMI-connected tV is "off".

If you disconnect the HDMI-connected TV completely by removing the cable, that works also, but not very convenient!

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sort of half right.

Re-read the post.  He said the HR44 was shutting down unused connections.  HDMI HDCP may or may not be at play.  I took it literally and that (the assumption) is wrong.  As if you are using component, composite is still "alive" so does is HDMI.  HDMI is the one that may kill the other outputs under certain conditions 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

Re-read the post.  He said the HR44 was shutting down unused connections.  HDMI HDCP may or may not be at play.  I took it literally and that (the assumption) is wrong.  As if you are using component, composite is still "alive" so does is HDMI.  HDMI is the one that may kill the other outputs under certain conditions 

I re-read the post. My response was just for clarification. If the HR44 is connected to a device via HDMI, and the device fails the HDCP compliance test, it will disable all the HR44 video outputs including component video. So if the Yamaha fails HDCP when it isn't connected to the TV, you would lose all the video. However, I don't see how this could affect the clients because they are connected via whole home. To me it looks like the Yamaha is sending an HDMI control signal to the HR44 that the HR44 can't accept, and it just locks up. In the past, this sometimes happened if CEC was enabled on the receiver, because the HR44 did not have CEC. However, it now does support CEC. But it might be worth disabling it on the Yamaha just to see what happens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yamaha, HR44, Genie, HDMI

Protected By... spam firewall...And...