Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2014-15

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yes, with the cooler and longer nights fast approaching, it is time to look forward to the new season.

The national television schedules are posted on NHL.Com for US and Canada. Also, with the new contract between Rogers and NHL, the days of SD feeds should be behind us. The contract provides for 100% HD Center Ice in Canada from a single provider. The only quibbling for us is the capacity issue for Directv. Can they support the 100% feeds available. I will let the techie people answer that one. 

Therefore let us see if we hear from someone in the know on the plans for the upcoming year. I do not know when renewal for Center Ice was/is up. This would also make a difference on content and special features. I wonder if the timing of the Center Ice package deal in Canada (along with national TV)  has any bearing on the US renewal with providers? If there is a change, then I hope to god that Directv gets to show home and away feeds even if the game is on NHL Network. I hate the graphics taking up the screen on NHL Network. My rant!

Anyway, my Rangers came up just short this past year and I look forward to the new season. The salary cap makes the composition of the team have lots of question marks. This is true for many of the teams. 

Go Rangers in HD of course.....

• fireponcoal likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hackettt

Hackettt

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Has anyone heard any word on whether the NHL will follow the path of the NFL, NBA, and MLB by offering both the DirecTV subscription bundled with the online streaming? I know having both with the MLB Extra Innings package has been brilliant this season.

#3 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

I expect it to happen when the rights are up. It is the strategic goal of Directv to have digital rights. I cannot figure out when the new contract starts. My glimmer of hope is the Canadian one is this year if I read the news this past spring correctly.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

I also sub to NHL CI and MLB EI.. having MLB EI accessible online this year has been helpful when I am out of town.  I also would really like it if the NHL would follow suit and offer NHL online game access (NHL GameCenter?) available for NHL CI ss part of their sub.  Having the Canadian HD feeds (TSN, Rogers, CBC) here in the US on D* is always great..

Go Rangers in HD, of course, too.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

If the Rogers deal means HD for Canadian games on CI I'll buy it, but if CI is still carrying those games in SD there's no way I'll do it.

• fireponcoal likes this

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Think this the full local team list from Canadian feeds.

WGN 9 (Canadian feed same as OTA feed)

TSN-Sens Moving to TSN 1-5?

TSN-Habs Moving to TSN 1-5?

RDS (French)
TVA Sports (French)

Sportsnet West

Sportsnet Flames

Sportsnet Ontario

Sportsnet Sens Ending?

Leafs TV

Sportsnet Pacific

Sportsnet Canucks

TSN Jets Moving to TSN 1-5?

TSN local team games may show up on TSN 1-5 or local area only feeds. TSN has local rights for some of the Leafs games.

National

CBC

City

Sportsnet feeds

Sportsnet ONE

Sportsnet 360

FX Canada

TVA (French)

TVA Sports (French)

TVA Sports 2 (French)

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 09 August 2014 - 09:31 AM.

• Barcthespark likes this
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

some of the sat night games on rogers are going to be the us feeds from the local rsn's so you wont need those anyway. 

you will probalby never see the games on the nhl network on centre ice. 

#8 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

I also sub to NHL CI and MLB EI.. having MLB EI accessible online this year has been helpful when I am out of town. I also would really like it if the NHL would follow suit and offer NHL online game access (NHL GameCenter?) available for NHL CI ss part of their sub. Having the Canadian HD feeds (TSN, Rogers, CBC) here in the US on D* is always great..

Go Rangers in HD, of course, too.

I'm actually planning to drop Center Ice and switch to Game Center Live this year if they don't bundle. I can watch nearly everything on all of my devices except Islanders games. For that I am tied to my living room TV. I bought a Nomad (now GenieGo) just to solve this problem, but the GenieGo classifies NHLCI as PPV so it doesn't work and after two seasons of trying I've come to conclude that DirecTV has no interest in fixing this. I can't even use DirecTV2PC to watch the Islanders. I find that with my busy schedule I'm missing more games than ever. Makes me wonder what I'm paying for. And if I do want to watch on my big TV, well Game Center is on AppleTV too.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#9 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

It will be very interesting to see whether the Rogers deal actually helps or hurts the Canadian HD feeds for D*.

In previous seasons, we have seen HD games from Sportsnet Ontario (Leafs) and Sportsnet Pacific (Canucks).  We saw very few (any?) HD feeds from Sportsnet West for Oilers/Flames and Sportsnet East for Sens.

Also, for HNIC on Saturdays, I heard that Rogers was going to do more regional segmentation via CBC, meaning more games split up across different parts of the country.  In the past, when there are multiple games on across the country, we've seen a single CBC feed on D* in HD as they seem to have capacity/equipment for only one CBC game at a time.  This may mean that we still only get one HNIC feed in HD on Saturday nights, but that's just speculation.

On the flip side, you would think that having only one broadcast partner to work with might help D* to align their capacity and equipment specifically with the Rogers feeds rather than having to negotiate with TSN and CBC separately.  I guess we will see.

Edited by steve_launch, 11 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

It will be very interesting to see whether the Rogers deal actually helps or hurts the Canadian HD feeds for D*.

In previous seasons, we have seen HD games from Sportsnet Ontario (Leafs) and Sportsnet Pacific (Canucks).  We saw very few (any?) HD feeds from Sportsnet West for Oilers/Flames and Sportsnet East for Sens.

Also, for HNIC on Saturdays, I heard that Rogers was going to do more regional segmentation via CBC, meaning more games split up across different parts of the country.  In the past, when there are multiple games on across the country, we've seen a single CBC feed on D* in HD as they seem to have capacity/equipment for only one CBC game at a time.  This may mean that we still only get one HNIC feed in HD on Saturday nights, but that's just speculation.

On the flip side, you would think that having only one broadcast partner to work with might help D* to align their capacity and equipment specifically with the Rogers feeds rather than having to negotiate with TSN and CBC separately.  I guess we will see.

They also started carrying SportsNet West games in HD in the middle of last season, at around the beginning of February I think (before the Olympic break).

To my knowledge, they did not have any Senators games in HD, except maybe for a "wild feed" or two.  They also didn't have any SportsNet Alternates in HD (SNET-VAN, SNET-EDM, etc.).

#11 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

It will indeed be very interesting to see what happens with Canadian broadcasts this year.  One thing to keep in mind is that TSN is still very much a player on the regional level.  They will have all of the Ottawa games that are not on a national channel, and packages of both Montreal and Toronto games.  Unless things have changed, I don't think we can count on getting regular Canadian feeds of these games.   

If that turns out to be the case, I too will consider dropping NHLCI and going with Game Center, unless of course they do the right thing and bundle them.  But, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Why would the NHL agree to that when it would cut off a revenue stream for them.

#12 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Think this the full local team list from Canadian feeds.

WGN 9 (Canadian feed same as OTA feed)

TSN-Sens Moving to TSN 1-5?

TSN-Habs Moving to TSN 1-5?

RDS (French)
TVA Sports (French)

Sportsnet West

Sportsnet Flames

Sportsnet Ontario

Sportsnet Sens Ending?

Leafs TV

Sportsnet Pacific

Sportsnet Canucks

TSN Jets Moving to TSN 1-5?

TSN local team games may show up on TSN 1-5 or local area only feeds. TSN has local rights for some of the Leafs games.

National

CBC

City

Sportsnet feeds

Sportsnet ONE

Sportsnet 360

FX Canada

TVA (French)

TVA Sports (French)

TVA Sports 2 (French)

It is my understanding that TSN will have as many as 26 Leafs games.  Not good for us who want to see the Leafs broadcast, since TSN is not always included even in SD.

#13 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Unless things have changed, the problem with dropping CI and going with GC is you don't get to see the intermission programming, which for me is a big deal.

#14 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Unless things have changed, the problem with dropping CI and going with GC is you don't get to see the intermission programming, which for me is a big deal.

It depends on the feed. Some of the Sportsnet feeds have intermissions, CBC ones haven't. 

#15 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

If you go to the NHL's home page, then click on schedules and ask it to display only games on the the NHL Network US, it does look as if they are planning on picking up some, but not all of the the Hockey Night in Canada games that will air either on Sportsnet or the CBC.

This link should take you to the right place.

#16 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Well, I'm quitting Center Ice for GameCenter today, but I sent off an email to the president of DirecTV to explain why.  We'll see if anything comes of it:

EMAIL:

"I am about to call DirecTV to cancel my renewal of NHL Center Ice after 19 seasons.  I thought it only fair to tell you why.

First, while DirecTV claims to be the leader in sports, NHL Center Ice is way behind other subscription packages in mobile viewing.  NBA, MLB, and NFL fans have access to games on their TV and on their PC, Phone, Tables...  NHL Center Ice locks me in to one screen in the living room.  Since I have become more tightly scheduled, I have looked for other solutions, and I purchased a Nomad (GenieGo) two seasons ago, only to bring me to reason #2 for leaving Center Ice.

The Nomad/GenieGo has a major bug wherein you cannot transcode, download, or stream games from NHL Center Ice.  I have reported this bug several times, but it has only gotten worse.  Last season, games on the NHL Network stopped working too.  There was $150 down the drain.

Now I left with no alternative but to drop NHL Center Ice and sign up with NHL GameCenter Live.  There, I can watch on my iPhone, iPad, PC, and even on that living room TV with my AppleTV.

It is a shame that it has come to this.  If only you could have fixed the problem with the GenieGo or packaged NHL Center Ice with NHL GameCenter Live (I'd have even paid more for that, but not double).  But, I guess NHL fans aren't a real priority for you.  I will be keeping my DirecTV service for my regular TV viewing, but it is goodbye to Center Ice for me."

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#17 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Well, I'm quitting Center Ice for GameCenter today, but I sent off an email to the president of DirecTV to explain why.  We'll see if anything comes of it:

EMAIL:

"I am about to call DirecTV to cancel my renewal of NHL Center Ice after 19 seasons.  I thought it only fair to tell you why.

First, while DirecTV claims to be the leader in sports, NHL Center Ice is way behind other subscription packages in mobile viewing.  NBA, MLB, and NFL fans have access to games on their TV and on their PC, Phone, Tables...  NHL Center Ice locks me in to one screen in the living room.  Since I have become more tightly scheduled, I have looked for other solutions, and I purchased a Nomad (GenieGo) two seasons ago, only to bring me to reason #2 for leaving Center Ice.

The Nomad/GenieGo has a major bug wherein you cannot transcode, download, or stream games from NHL Center Ice.  I have reported this bug several times, but it has only gotten worse.  Last season, games on the NHL Network stopped working too.  There was $150 down the drain.

Now I left with no alternative but to drop NHL Center Ice and sign up with NHL GameCenter Live.  There, I can watch on my iPhone, iPad, PC, and even on that living room TV with my AppleTV.

It is a shame that it has come to this.  If only you could have fixed the problem with the GenieGo or packaged NHL Center Ice with NHL GameCenter Live (I'd have even paid more for that, but not double).  But, I guess NHL fans aren't a real priority for you.  I will be keeping my DirecTV service for my regular TV viewing, but it is goodbye to Center Ice for me."

I am sure all those issues are important, and as I do not have a Geniego, I can't comment. However, I would bet at least a dollar (a very big bet for me) that the issue of not having Game Center packaged with NHLCI is an NHL decision, and D* has absolutely no control over this. 

• sigma1914 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Well, someone just called me from the DirecTv Office of the President regarding my email. He assured me that Extended Sports Subscriptions are NOT in the excluded list in their GenieGo policy. He read me the policy and it lists the things you cannot record with a GenieGo, including "PPV, not including Extended Sports Subscriptions, Premium Channels, and Adult Channels." According to him, there is no valid reason that NHLCI should be excluded from GenieGo. The upshot is that he's giving me until the end of October to quit NHLCI with a full refund if they can't get the GenieGo situation fixed in that time.

Since the best solution for me is to be able to use the GenieGo to watch the Islanders, I'm willing to give it another try.
  • Barcthespark likes this

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#19 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Well, someone just called me from the DirecTv Office of the President regarding my email. He assured me that Extended Sports Subscriptions are NOT in the excluded list in their GenieGo policy. He read me the policy and it lists the things you cannot record with a GenieGo, including "PPV, not including Extended Sports Subscriptions, Premium Channels, and Adult Channels." According to him, there is no valid reason that NHLCI should be excluded from GenieGo. The upshot is that he's giving me until the end of October to quit NHLCI with a full refund if they can't get the GenieGo situation fixed in that time.

Since the best solution for me is to be able to use the GenieGo to watch the Islanders, I'm willing to give it another try.

Although I'm interested in your Genie situation, I wish they had addressed the mobile viewing issue and the NHL joining MLB as the lastest D* sports package to join forces with it's online "partner".

#20 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Although I'm interested in your Genie situation, I wish they had addressed the mobile viewing issue and the NHL joining MLB as the lastest D* sports package to join forces with it's online "partner".

He did say that he would take that issue up the chain as well. I don't think that means anything other than them knowing that people are willing to quit NHLCI if they don't add GameCenter to it.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...