Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on Sports Pack? What is it good for?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'm thinking of signing up for the DirecTV sports pack.  They offered me a deal for a year on it the other day, and I think it would solve a lot of the issues I'm having with my "Team" recordings.  My question is what exactly is the Sports Pack good for now days?  My problem is the "Team Recording" feature keeps picking ACC Football & Basketball games that are on RSN channels that I don't get, but then doesn't find the correct channel so it isn't recorded.  I've tried smart search recordings too, but then I get coaches shows, etc mixed in and it is a pain. The ACC stuff is just too spread out.  

Are NFL Pre-Season games blacked out on the Sports Pack channels? 

I know you can't see any live MLB or NBA action unless you subscribe to those packages due to blackouts, but how about replays?  And classic games?  I know at one point in time YES Classics were available on the Sports Pack, are they now or has that been phased out?

I'm assuming all the College Broadcasts would be in the clear on these channels, but are some of them blacked out too?  

Just trying to decide if it would be worth it.  

Edited by cpalmer2k, 02 August 2014 - 10:18 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I used to subscribe from Sept-March for college football/hoops, when they had a lot of content, but now with the proliferation of the conference networks and networks like FS1, there's just little left for college sports on the RSNs. 

#3 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Are NFL Pre-Season games blacked out on the Sports Pack channels?

They were blacked out,unless you were "in the correct market area".

I just record my team's games from replays off the NFL Network.

#4 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

The ONLY reason I personally ever sub to the sports pack is because I live out of market from my favorite hockey team, so I subscribe to NHLCI to watch their games, BUT I'd like to also watch the postgame shows, but those aren't on NHLCI.  If you're out of market, you need the sports pack for that.

My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#5 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

The only reason I have the sport package is for the soccer on beIN.

#6 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

I think it depends on your market.   For me I get Comcast Chicago in my regular package but by adding sports pack I get Fox Sports North and Midwest giving me Brewers, Twins, Royals and Cards baseball in addition to the Cubs and Sox.

#7 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have the Sports Pack for the fall & winter.  It is the only place you can get a decent amount of FCS football games & college hockey.

Edited by Gordon Shumway, 02 August 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

I think it depends on your market.   For me I get Comcast Chicago in my regular package but by adding sports pack I get Fox Sports North and Midwest giving me Brewers, Twins, Royals and Cards baseball in addition to the Cubs and Sox.

In the same boat: central Iowa. Also the Blues and Wild, in addition to the Blackhawks.

#9 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I have the Sports Pack for cycling on BeIN Sports and Universal Sports and for the Kentucky football and basketball coaches shows, Big Blue Madness, Blue-White game, women's basketball, and exhibition games on an out-of-market RSN.  It is also good for football and basketball from the mid-major conferences and for college sports other than football and basketball.

With the launch of the SEC network, I do not know if anything related to Kentucky will still be on a RSN, but I will still keep the Sports Pack for BeIN Sports and Universal Sports.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I got the Sports Pack once that I can remember, we wanted to watch the Tour of Utah, which was on Fox Sports. Our version is only HD part time, so had to subscribe to get HD coverage.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

I have SportsPack to watch pre-game/post-game programming of my favorite teams on MSG and YES, plus some other non-live sports programming on these out of market RSNs.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I've got it to watch Pens pre/post game and universal sports
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

If we had Universal Sports Network in HD I'll be more inclined to get SP.
  • John Strk likes this

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#14 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

If we had Universal Sports Network in HD I'll be more inclined to get SP.

Yeah this! I keep asking Directv's Twitter page to add it.  Hoping to have it in HD for the FIS Alpine World Cup season this winter. If not, I'm not adding Sports Pack again any time soon and have started shopping around for alternatives.

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#15 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

sports Pack is seldom worth the money.. this is coming from a 14 year D* subscriber.. you get NO pro games.. No added games UNLESS you are in a multi team area.. meaning you are "supposed ' to  get say the Nats, Orioles , and say someone else.. When I first moved to my area.. I was "supposed to get the Brewers, Twins' and Rockies" that lasted one year.. Now.. even though 5000 of my 50,000 people metro area still get both. .I do not.. and in fact , even adding sports pack , I would have to PAY to see the Twins, were as a neighbor, ( in a town this small, every one is a neighbor) gets to see them both.. Sports pack is giving free money to D* for little return.. 

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

sports Pack is seldom worth the money.. this is coming from a 14 year D* subscriber.. you get NO pro games.. No added games UNLESS you are in a multi team area.. meaning you are "supposed ' to get say the Nats, Orioles , and say someone else.. When I first moved to my area.. I was "supposed to get the Brewers, Twins' and Rockies" that lasted one year.. Now.. even though 5000 of my 50,000 people metro area still get both. .I do not.. and in fact , even adding sports pack , I would have to PAY to see the Twins, were as a neighbor, ( in a town this small, every one is a neighbor) gets to see them both.. Sports pack is giving free money to D* for little return..

And when you subscribe to the service, they still charge you the rsn fee.
Sorry but that a double dip.

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Sports Pack to me is only good for fall and winter season games,   like high school or college football,basketball or hockey,  Out of market pre game or post game shows if that's your thing,  Also for college baseball,  Even though at times is nothing different than what they show from my local RSN CSN Chicago,  as most other out of market RSN most notably from CSN, show the same thing.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

And when you subscribe to the service, they still charge you the rsn fee.
Sorry but that a double dip.

I wonder if they charge the RSN fee if you subscribe to the Select Package + the Sports Pack.  That combo is still cheaper than Choice, which is the lowest package that comes with your local RSNs (and includes the RSN fee).

#19 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

I like having the sports pack (still not sure if its worth the money every month)

• Pre and Post game shows on my sports packages
  • Preseason MLB games
  • HD college hoops and football on RSNs (I am rarely blacked out on every RSN for any game in Florida)
  • some nice local stuff from my hometown of Pittsburgh on root sports
  • Uconn Womens basketball for my mother in law on SNY
  • other non RSN channels included

#20 OFFLINE   evilquik

evilquik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

Tons of benefit in the sports pack for me, but its different for everyone. I like to wager on games and there are tons of college football and college hoops all over different RSN's. A great value for me and I really enjoy it. There are a few months where its not as valuable. I'd say from about April-August. I'm a premier subscriber though so I just deal with it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...