Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on Sports Pack? What is it good for?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

sports Pack is seldom worth the money.. this is coming from a 14 year D* subscriber.. you get NO pro games.. No added games UNLESS you are in a multi team area.. meaning you are "supposed ' to  get say the Nats, Orioles , and say someone else.. When I first moved to my area.. I was "supposed to get the Brewers, Twins' and Rockies" that lasted one year.. Now.. even though 5000 of my 50,000 people metro area still get both. .I do not.. and in fact , even adding sports pack , I would have to PAY to see the Twins, were as a neighbor, ( in a town this small, every one is a neighbor) gets to see them both.. Sports pack is giving free money to D* for little return.. 

If your only interest is MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL, then other than the pre-game and post-game shows, I agree that the Sports Pack is not useful.  If you are interested in NCAA sports from conferences other than the Big 10, SEC, or Pac 12, soccer, cycling, skiing, swimming, Olympic trials, etc., then it is useful.

Edited by fleckrj, 06 August 2014 - 06:31 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

If you are interested in NCAA sports from conferences other than the Big 10, SEC, or Pac 12, soccer, cycling, skiing, swimming, Olympic trials, etc., then it is useful.

Well, there's still a fair number of B1G Hockey games still carried on RSNs and the 8 SEC football games (and some number of basketball games) carried on FSNs.  The SEC contract with FSN runs out at the end of the 2014-2015 season.  I just found out about this remaining contract between the SEC and FSN which makes me wonder why they picked this year to launch their network.  Yes, it still simplifies the SEC TV agreements and they can technically claim that all SEC home games are national broadcasts, but FSN coverage does confuse things.

#23 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I had it so I could watch other football and basketball games, but I just found myself watching less during the day and at night mainly sticking with the games on the national networks.

#24 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I've always had Sports Pak and today, I'm starting to think its a waste of money. Other than pre game and post game MLB shows, I always liked watching the "baseball magazine programming" but more and more they keep blacking out these shows even if in this case you have MLB Extra Innings. I used to be able to watch Padres POV but this year they black it out as well as Padres Social Hour. Most likely the pre game and post game shows will be next.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

sports Pack is seldom worth the money.. this is coming from a 14 year D* subscriber.. you get NO pro games.. No added games UNLESS you are in a multi team area.. meaning you are "supposed ' to  get say the Nats, Orioles , and say someone else.. When I first moved to my area.. I was "supposed to get the Brewers, Twins' and Rockies" that lasted one year.. Now.. even though 5000 of my 50,000 people metro area still get both. .I do not.. and in fact , even adding sports pack , I would have to PAY to see the Twins, were as a neighbor, ( in a town this small, every one is a neighbor) gets to see them both.. Sports pack is giving free money to D* for little return.. 

Well, you can always downgrade and subscribe to Cable or DISH.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   JVK

JVK

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

You do get replays of NHL regular season games that are broadcast on the RSN's. You also get pretty much all NHL preseason games that are broadcast, and a few AHL games during the regular season and post season.

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

You do get replays of NHL regular season games that are broadcast on the RSN's. You also get pretty much all NHL preseason games that are broadcast, and a few AHL games during the regular season and post season.

Any out of market replay MLB or NHL has always been blacked out.

#28 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would like to see Directv have a multi-tiered Sports Pack --- maybe something like Bronze, Silver and Gold given sports analogy.

Sports Pack Bronze: $13/month  current Sports Pack

Sports Pack Silver: $20/month    plus ESPN3 content (basically get rid of Full Court and Game Plan and have Directv just put ESPN 3 feeds in sports pack -- also could include some other ESPN 3 events -- most notably international sports.  This could be possible with launch of new satellite.)

Sports Pack Gold: $70/month     plus every pro sports package (MLS, NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL)

#29 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Not all NHL replays are blacked out.  Some are, but some are not.  Rangers in 60 for example isn't blacked out.

#30 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sports Pack Silver: $20/month    plus ESPN3 content (basically get rid of Full Court and Game Plan and have Directv just put ESPN 3 feeds in sports pack -- also could include some other ESPN 3 events -- most notably international sports.  This could be possible with launch of new satellite.)

ESPN 3 doesn't cost extra, it just has the caveat of requiring an internet connection. For much of the international content ESPN only has the digital rights and not the television rights. Plus Game Plan is $29.99 a month, good luck not getting in a legal dispute with ESPN if DirecTV were to drop their packages entirely in favor of all the ESPN 3 feeds via satellite.

Sports Pack Gold: $70/month plus every pro sports package (MLS, NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL)

NFL Sunday Ticket Max is about 55 a month, Extra Innings is about 50 a month, Direct Kick is about 20 a month, League Pass is about 50 a month, Center Ice is about 40 a month, Game Plan is about 30 a month, Full Court has a similar price. With the overlap between all of them $70 wouldn't even begin to cover it.

#31 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would like to see Directv have a multi-tiered Sports Pack --- maybe something like Bronze, Silver and Gold given sports analogy.

Sports Pack Bronze: $13/month  current Sports Pack

Sports Pack Gold: $70/month     plus every pro sports package (MLS, NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL)

ESPN may want the ESPN 3 stuff in basic packs with the main ESPN channels.

What this sports basic all the non RSN channels in there now + NHL NETWORK at say $6 mo also maybe add fox soccer plus to this.

$10 outer ring RSN's + out of market BTN net, pac12 net, SEC net, etc. maybe the few ESPN 3 game that in the past have been on local area cable systems.

$13-$15 out of market RSN's blackouts on pro sports may with wide open college games on RSN's. Directv should push ESPN to let full court and Game plan become like fox collgle sports on DTV. with them haveing only the few FC and GP only games maybe as part this level of the sports pack..

$30-$40 super sports pack NHL CI, NBA LP, NFL ST, MLB EI, All other channels in sports pack minimum 4-month commitment.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 06 August 2014 - 04:43 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#32 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

ESPN 3 doesn't cost extra, it just has the caveat of requiring an internet connection. For much of the international content ESPN only has the digital rights and not the television rights. Plus Game Plan is $29.99 a month, good luck not getting in a legal dispute with ESPN if DirecTV were to drop their packages entirely in favor of all the ESPN 3 feeds via satellite.

NFL Sunday Ticket Max is about 55 a month, Extra Innings is about 50 a month, Direct Kick is about 20 a month, League Pass is about 50 a month, Center Ice is about 40 a month, Game Plan is about 30 a month, Full Court has a similar price. With the overlap between all of them $70 wouldn't even begin to cover it.

ESPN3 does have a few games that where only on it that have been shown in the teams local areas on cable systems.

any ways with ATT looking to buy directv they may try some hardball with ESPN like how Netflix will pay Comcast for faster and more reliable access to Comcast’s subscribers. They can say we cut the fee / have no fee if you let us push some of that load over to the TV side.

rogers cable has the super sports pak that has the out of market packs for about $36 cn year round.

#33 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

rogers cable has the super sports pak that has the out of market packs for about $36 cn year round.

Comparing Canada to US is apples and oranges. With the CRTC regulating EVERYTHING, including cable and satellite channels and providers, it's a different market. Having no local teams outside of NHL, and the Blue Jays and Raptors being available in all of Canada as a national broadcast helps too. Their packages also have less content since there are more games available nationally on CBC, CTV, City, the SportsNets and the TSNs since they don't have to deal with things like exclusive windows where only one game can air nationally. (i.e. the 4pm NFL game on CBS or Fox, the Tuesday night NHL game on NBCSN, or the weekend MLB games on Fox or ESPN)

#34 OFFLINE   JVK

JVK

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

. I've been watching out of market replays of nhl games with sports pack for years.

#35 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

If you think about $60/month for all the pro sports packages, that is $720 per year.  It's basically like buying NFL w/ max, MLB, and NBA, and MLS, then getting NHL free.  So it may actually be too much for most.  $50/month is probably more reasonable.  One issue is that people would add and drop this too often.  For example, September with NFL and MLB pennant race.  Could require 12-month commitment.

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

If you think about $60/month for all the pro sports packages, that is $720 per year.  It's basically like buying NFL w/ max, MLB, and NBA, and MLS, then getting NHL free.  So it may actually be too much for most.  $50/month is probably more reasonable.  One issue is that people would add and drop this too often.  For example, September with NFL and MLB pennant race.  Could require 12-month commitment.

What about an commercial pack for all of the pro sports packs or at least NHL CI, NBA LP, NFL ST, MLB + college?

#37 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,559 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

What about an commercial pack for all of the pro sports packs or at least NHL CI, NBA LP, NFL ST, MLB + college?

Too difficult for them to do combined commercial packages like that since they're dependent on capacity and not all sports have the same levels or even measure it the same way (EVO vs FCO)

If there was a package like that it would have to be a significant savings, because I don't get the NBA or NHL packages. Little interest in either league around here aside from the Bulls and Blackhawks, which are mostly on CSN Chicago. People mostly don't care about the regular season for pro basketball or hockey since so many teams make the playoffs.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#38 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

I'd get the Sports Pack in a jiffy if Comcast Philly was available. But alas...

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#39 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Not as much college football and basketball as there used to be, and the baseball is going to decrease with the SEC Network starting, but there's still a lot of college hockey and a fair amount of high school football.

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Not as much college football and basketball as there used to be, and the baseball is going to decrease with the SEC Network starting, but there's still a lot of college hockey and a fair amount of high school football.

You start getting the lower conferences since most if the majors are on national networks from espn to fs1 to BTN to sec to PAC 12 to CBS sportsnet to the OTA networks.

Oddly, there are a few big 12 games on RSNs.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...