Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on Sports Pack? What is it good for?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

The only reason I have the sport package is for the soccer on beIN.

- plus the odd match on Fox Sports.

Least return for the money inside D*.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I have a Bright house Subscription as well as DirecTV and I just got a note from them saying that they will have 8 college sports channels (College Zone 1-8) included in their sports pack.  The note ends with this sentence:

ESPN GamePlan and Full Court will no longer be sold separately as seasonal sports packages.

I assume this is where all will go but it is not clear whether these channels will be in HD or not on Bright House (actually my guess is SD) ... however if DirecTV did this in HD it would make the sports pack a little more valuable (even though 90% of the college games are shown in it as is).

#43 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have a Bright house Subscription as well as DirecTV and I just got a note from them saying that they will have 8 college sports channels (College Zone 1-8) included in their sports pack.  The note ends with this sentence:

ESPN GamePlan and Full Court will no longer be sold separately as seasonal sports packages.

I assume this is where all will go but it is not clear whether these channels will be in HD or not on Bright House (actually my guess is SD) ... however if DirecTV did this in HD it would make the sports pack a little more valuable (even though 90% of the college games are shown in it as is).

Unless espn begins to deliver them in HD, they will be in SD for sure.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Unless espn begins to deliver them in HD, they will be in SD for sure.

maybe direct can get the right to show them in HD (even if directv has to feed in / remap feeds) or the right to use ESPN3 feeds as well.

They should push to make game plan and full court as part of sports pack as well maybe even do a FCS and have a few channels in the sports pack for the games only on game plan / full court / game only ESPN 3 feeds.

If Bright house got a deal to have it in sports pack then directv can as well.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#45 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

I believe that ESPN is not allowing HD content on the packages as it will drive adoption to ESPN3 for contract negotiations. It's not like the games are being shot in HD now ESPN just chooses to not broadcast them in HD.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

maybe direct can get the right to show them in HD (even if directv has to feed in / remap feeds) or the right to use ESPN3 feeds as well.

They should push to make game plan and full court as part of sports pack as well maybe even do a FCS and have a few channels in the sports pack for the games only on game plan / full court / game only ESPN 3 feeds.

If Bright house got a deal to have it in sports pack then directv can as well.

And maybe they will be under the new contact. We will see. Maybe not. It depends on if it makes sense for DirecTV and ESPN. If they put it in sports pack then the sub base for the game plan and full court packages goes way up. Does the price per sub go down? If not, then you are talking about a big increase for DirecTV for minimal ROI, especially if the games are still not in HD.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#47 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I believe that ESPN is not allowing HD content on the packages as it will drive adoption to ESPN3 for contract negotiations. It's not like the games are being shot in HD now ESPN just chooses to not broadcast them in HD.

And yet they allow HD for the women's basketball tournament and for other regional items they could force people into packages for. I don't think that is the reason. I think the reason is that ESPN has always been a bit behind in HD distribution channels. Why is Classic still SD only? If they offer it in HD, they have to provide the HD pipeline. Where does that come from when they are using all their pipes already on a busy college football weekend. Heck, we have seen a HUGE variation in the HD quality because they are pushing older equipment into use on days when they have a lot of live games.

#48 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

And yet they allow HD for the women's basketball tournament and for other regional items they could force people into packages for. I don't think that is the reason. I think the reason is that ESPN has always been a bit behind in HD distribution channels. Why is Classic still SD only? If they offer it in HD, they have to provide the HD pipeline. Where does that come from when they are using all their pipes already on a busy college football weekend. Heck, we have seen a HUGE variation in the HD quality because they are pushing older equipment into use on days when they have a lot of live games.

also cable systems don't have the room for game plan / Full court HD.

Classic is in zombie mode it's old over flow use has moved to ESPN News. Back when they did the ESPNU / Classic flip it's use started to go down.

Directv uses real did not need game plan as much due to lot's of games on RSN's. Now back in 2010 they tried to get in HD and espn said no. Around the same the time they started to black out RSN feeds. Also Directv had PPV games in HD that where local market only that where also in game plan. Now they may of wanted to remap feeds and only use the game plan feeds for the game plan feeds for the game plan only / local cable / local OTA stuff like how FCS is on directv. Now ESPN 3 has more game plan stuff as well.

Also cable systems don't seem to do as well with part time event / game / overflow feeds.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#49 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Directv doesn't really have capacity for a bunch of additional channels from stuff like GamePlan and ESPN3 in HD right now, especially on Saturday afternoons when they're already broadcasting a lot of extra stuff like BTN and now SEC alts, not to mention MLBEI in September, and NBA and NHL later in the season. They typically cut down on PPV channels as needed to bring up these short term channels, but they'd have to pretty much shut them all down and even that might not be enough, depending on how many broadcasts are in progress from those sources.

When the first of the two new satellites launch they'll have tons of additional HD capacity (about 80 additional national HD channels worth from 99) It won't be in place in time to help this football season, but barring something really going awry, it will be ready for next football season. Whether ESPN can/will deliver stuff currently in SD in HD if Directv is the only provider capable of delivering it all in HD at that point in time is unknown.

I used to get GamePlan, but dropped it a few years ago since the quality of the games on it versus the price no longer made sense. I would like to get ESPN3 delivered by satellite, not for football but there are sometimes some good basketball games on it. Sometimes one per season involving Iowa, but the women's team is on it more often than that, and has a pretty good following around here.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#50 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Directv doesn't really have capacity for a bunch of additional channels from stuff like GamePlan and ESPN3 in HD right now.

Espn 3 games, maybe but most of the gameplan games are already on the satellite in HD on one or more of the RSNs if they can use them (maybe with commercial inserts).

And, the sec deal actually will free up a couple PPV channels sec teams used in the past.

Yes, there is more of a crunch but they don't eliminate PPV now and the net change wouldn't be that great.

Edited by tonyd79, 15 August 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Espn 3 games, maybe but most of the gameplan games are already on the satellite in HD on one or more of the RSNs if they can use them (maybe with commercial inserts).

They'd have to use the identical RSN feed. Commercial inserts aren't possible on receivers.

#52 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

They'd have to use the identical RSN feed. Commercial inserts aren't possible on receivers.

Yes they are. They do it now.

#53 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yes they are. They do it now.

No they aren't. Receivers have no hard drive, and don't have nearly enough RAM to store commercials. Theoretically they could stream them over the internet, assuming the receivers are even internet connected, but they'd look pretty bad for people who have crappy internet links or are experiencing a bit of slowdown, so I highly doubt they'd want to do that.

Obviously they can insert commercials before they send them to their satellite to be broadcasted, but you're talking about taking a single RSN channel and having receivers show it as two different channels (the RSN channel, and a GamePlan channel) with different commercials. Not possible with receivers.

#54 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

No they aren't. Receivers have no hard drive, and don't have nearly enough RAM to store commercials. Theoretically they could stream them over the internet, assuming the receivers are even internet connected, but they'd look pretty bad for people who have crappy internet links or are experiencing a bit of slowdown, so I highly doubt they'd want to do that.

Obviously they can insert commercials before they send them to their satellite to be broadcasted, but you're talking about taking a single RSN channel and having receivers show it as two different channels (the RSN channel, and a GamePlan channel) with different commercials. Not possible with receivers.

Ah. You meant non-dvr receivers. Got you.

Who cares? Just show the rsn.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...