Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Audio Dropouts on DVR playback only?

dish audio drop outs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

I have a pretty new Hopper, replaced my 622.  Mostly a good system, but when playing back from the DVR - even if it's just like having skipped back a minute in a live show - the audio sometimes drops out for a few seconds every few minutes.

This isn't in the recorded program.  I can skip back and the dropout won't be there at the same spot. 

So what I know is:

1. It only happens when the Dish Hopper is the HDMI source; not when my Oppo or other sources are.  (I'm not using optical or analog.)
  2. It only happens when playing back from the hard drive.  Direct-from-Satellite doesn't do this.
  3. It isn't a recording problem, because it's in different places when playing back the same programs.
  4. Therefore, it's not the HDMI cable, the audio receiver, the TV or even the Dish tuner or recording codec.
  5. It doesn't seem to always happen on playback.  I'm not sure what the secret sauce is - everything should typically be turned on in the same order, for example, because they happen by macro.  But when the problem is there, it survives changing audio sources back-and-forth.

Any ideas?  This is annoying.  Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   andrewe@DISH Network

andrewe@DISH Network

• DISH Representative
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Have you noticed any distorted video or any error messages? If not, Try resetting the Hopper by pressing the red reset button on the front panel of the Hopper.

Andrew E.

Social Media Representative

DISH, L.L.C.

Saturday - Tuesday 11:30am-10:30pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

No video distortion.  I've seen the problem before, and have rebooted the puppy regularly (more due to moving equipment around than debugging.)  Will do so now.  Is the Hopper like an older cell phone, just needs rebooting every few days?

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like a successful work around to me.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Kind of an annoying one.  Think about it, Jim... suppose you're watching an event... perhaps a sporting event.  You've buffered a bit because of a snack break, phone call, life...  And you get these audio drop-outs.

If you reset the system, you lose your buffer.   (There may be some way around that, but it would require a bit of work at the time.)  So you can't see that half-hour you were planning to watch.  If you don't reset it, you get the drop-outs.

How are you defining "successful"?

#6 ONLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Any ideas?  This is annoying.  Thanks.

Do you have the OTA module installed on your Hopper?  I had the same non-repeatable audio dropouts on local channels (Both satellite delivered and OTA) and occasionally on satellite delivered cable channels with the OTA module installed. I yanked the module and turned off PTAT.  No more dropouts.  I've turned PTAT back on a couple of times since and have not noticed any dropouts, so I'm guessing the module was at fault.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

This may be related to the problem seen on ViP receivers when the OTA module is tuned to a weak station, causes problems with even satellite reception.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I recently bought a new Onkyo receiver and decided to go all in on Video and Audio thru HDMI. After a couple of days I started noticing audio dropout while watching recorded shows. I previously had used the optical input/output for my audio and never had a problem. Long story short, I found out some Onkyo receivers have experienced handshake problems with some HDMI sources and it caused momentary audio dropouts. I reconfigured my Hopper to Onkyo to use Digital Optical audio and the audio dropout problem went away.

All my other sources work just fine using HDMI for both Vid/Audio. My issue was just between Onkyo and Hopper.

Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe it will help you resolve your problem.

#9 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

No OTA to my knowledge.  Maybe icmoney is onto something; the receiver is an Onkyo.  But I didn't have the problem with the 622.

#10 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Just to update, after a month since I changed my audio from Hopper back to Optical input on my Onkyo, I have not had any more instance of audio dropout when watching recorded content.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, audio, drop outs

Protected By... spam firewall...And...