Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Audio Dropouts on DVR playback only?

dish audio drop outs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

I have a pretty new Hopper, replaced my 622.  Mostly a good system, but when playing back from the DVR - even if it's just like having skipped back a minute in a live show - the audio sometimes drops out for a few seconds every few minutes.

This isn't in the recorded program.  I can skip back and the dropout won't be there at the same spot. 

So what I know is:

1. It only happens when the Dish Hopper is the HDMI source; not when my Oppo or other sources are.  (I'm not using optical or analog.)
  2. It only happens when playing back from the hard drive.  Direct-from-Satellite doesn't do this.
  3. It isn't a recording problem, because it's in different places when playing back the same programs.
  4. Therefore, it's not the HDMI cable, the audio receiver, the TV or even the Dish tuner or recording codec.
  5. It doesn't seem to always happen on playback.  I'm not sure what the secret sauce is - everything should typically be turned on in the same order, for example, because they happen by macro.  But when the problem is there, it survives changing audio sources back-and-forth.

Any ideas?  This is annoying.  Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   andrewe@DISH Network

andrewe@DISH Network

• DISH Representative
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Have you noticed any distorted video or any error messages? If not, Try resetting the Hopper by pressing the red reset button on the front panel of the Hopper.

Andrew E.

Social Media Representative

DISH, L.L.C.

Saturday - Tuesday 11:30am-10:30pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

No video distortion.  I've seen the problem before, and have rebooted the puppy regularly (more due to moving equipment around than debugging.)  Will do so now.  Is the Hopper like an older cell phone, just needs rebooting every few days?

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like a successful work around to me.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Kind of an annoying one.  Think about it, Jim... suppose you're watching an event... perhaps a sporting event.  You've buffered a bit because of a snack break, phone call, life...  And you get these audio drop-outs.

If you reset the system, you lose your buffer.   (There may be some way around that, but it would require a bit of work at the time.)  So you can't see that half-hour you were planning to watch.  If you don't reset it, you get the drop-outs.

How are you defining "successful"?

#6 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Do you have the OTA module installed on your Hopper?  I had the same non-repeatable audio dropouts on local channels (Both satellite delivered and OTA) and occasionally on satellite delivered cable channels with the OTA module installed. I yanked the module and turned off PTAT.  No more dropouts.  I've turned PTAT back on a couple of times since and have not noticed any dropouts, so I'm guessing the module was at fault.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

This may be related to the problem seen on ViP receivers when the OTA module is tuned to a weak station, causes problems with even satellite reception.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I recently bought a new Onkyo receiver and decided to go all in on Video and Audio thru HDMI. After a couple of days I started noticing audio dropout while watching recorded shows. I previously had used the optical input/output for my audio and never had a problem. Long story short, I found out some Onkyo receivers have experienced handshake problems with some HDMI sources and it caused momentary audio dropouts. I reconfigured my Hopper to Onkyo to use Digital Optical audio and the audio dropout problem went away.

All my other sources work just fine using HDMI for both Vid/Audio. My issue was just between Onkyo and Hopper.

Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe it will help you resolve your problem.

#9 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

No OTA to my knowledge.  Maybe icmoney is onto something; the receiver is an Onkyo.  But I didn't have the problem with the 622.

#10 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Just to update, after a month since I changed my audio from Hopper back to Optical input on my Onkyo, I have not had any more instance of audio dropout when watching recorded content.

#11 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

I have a pretty new Hopper, replaced my 622.  Mostly a good system, but when playing back from the DVR - even if it's just like having skipped back a minute in a live show - the audio sometimes drops out for a few seconds every few minutes.

This isn't in the recorded program.  I can skip back and the dropout won't be there at the same spot. 

So what I know is:

1. It only happens when the Dish Hopper is the HDMI source; not when my Oppo or other sources are.  (I'm not using optical or analog.)
  2. It only happens when playing back from the hard drive.  Direct-from-Satellite doesn't do this.
  3. It isn't a recording problem, because it's in different places when playing back the same programs.
  4. Therefore, it's not the HDMI cable, the audio receiver, the TV or even the Dish tuner or recording codec.
  5. It doesn't seem to always happen on playback.  I'm not sure what the secret sauce is - everything should typically be turned on in the same order, for example, because they happen by macro.  But when the problem is there, it survives changing audio sources back-and-forth.

I have the same issue..Not the cable.... switched to a new one and its still there.  Turn on my audio receiver and use the optical out on the hopper to my receiver and the tv with the HDMI hook up drops audio and the optical on the receiver plays through the drop.  Sounds like the HDMI out on the hopper may be bad?.  A reboot will fix it sometimes but not always.  Do you think I need a replacement Hopper? 

#12 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

...when playing back from the DVR - even if it's just like having skipped back a minute in a live show - the audio sometimes drops out for a few seconds every few minutes.

I'm also experiencing the same HDMI audio dropouts during DVR playback. I can't say with any certainty that this works 100 percent of the time, but I've had some luck going into Settings: Diagnostics --> Reset Receiver when the issue occurs. Seems to fix the issue for awhile. YMMV.

However, the HDMI audio dropouts are not the only HDMI audio issue. I've also noticed that the audio sync varies. For example, last night I had to delay the audio by 200ms, but later I had to reset audio sync back to 0ms. The audio shouldn't vary that much. I wonder if the two are related?

If new firmware doesn't fix the HDMI audio and provide someway to configure the hard coded 1:30am software check, it will be, IMO, a disappointment. While there are other bugs such as the priority screen crashing, search feature needs an overhaul, Today/Tomorrow timers updates at the wrong time, INFO screen doesn't show complete title/description, etc, etc -- the HDMI audio and the hard coded software check are the two most aggravating issues and they should be immediately addressed.

Blowgun

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Don't hold your breath on the 1:30am update time.  There's no reason for them to change it really, because if you're there watching TV you can click "No" and let it try again later... if you aren't there watching, it doesn't matter if it updates... so there is no sense of urgency and it is not viewed as a problem that needs to be fixed.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#14 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

Don't hold your breath on the 1:30am update time.

Why, has this been felt like a knife in the back of customers for quite awhile?

There's no reason for them to change it really,

How about for urinary bladder health reasons?

...because if you're there watching TV you can click "No" and let it try again later... if you aren't there watching, it doesn't matter if it updates... so there is no sense of urgency and it is not viewed as a problem that needs to be fixed.

Then I highly recommend DISH moves the update timer to fire off at 8pm for the same reasons you mentioned above. After all, if you are watching TV you can click "No".... ;)

Seriously, the first attempt is around 1:30am and it will keep pestering you. The next one is around 2:30am and so forth. It's not exact from morning to morning, which if it was, would only make it somewhat livable. Having to select semi-randomly "No" gets aggravating when you have to urgently go to the bathroom and can't because you have to wait to answer "No".

It's not ideal in the least, but I'm to the point were I'm about to set up a keep once kluge timer to fire off at 1:15am and run for 6 hours and 45 minutes everyday.

Blowgun

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

I have a 922 and I did move my scheduled update to 7am...  but if I couldn't move it (like on the Hoppers) I really don't see the big deal.  I guess it could be annoying to have to click "No" every hour or so after 1:30am... but you could also just let it update and then go back to watching TV after it is done... I would prefer they kept the scheduling option on the Hoppers, but I can't imagine there being a lot of pressure on them to change it this far out.  The Hopper has been out a couple of years (I think it has been nearly 2 years now)... and if they haven't done it by now, I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   brucewampler

brucewampler

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

DISH claims that it received no reports of this issue, but I have the identical problem.

DISH stepped me through an audio debug list, and, at least so far, there seems to be a "cure".

It may be related to the Volume Leveling "feature".

Menu -> Settings -> Audio -> Audio Output -> Volume Leveling -> Disable. (After disabling, a Mode option shows up, and I left my on the default RF).

So far, my DVR recordings are no longer have audio dropouts.

#17 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

DISH claims that it received no reports of this issue, but I have the identical problem.

That's total bull. I can't speak for anyone else, but I reported the HDMI audio dropout issue a month ago when I reported the wrong network association for locals issue. That explains why the latter issue hasn't been fixed.

Blowgun

#18 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

I see this problem on almost every playback. Does Dish really not believe this is a real problem?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

DISH stepped me through an audio debug list, and, at least so far, there seems to be a "cure".

It may be related to the Volume Leveling "feature".

Menu -> Settings -> Audio -> Audio Output -> Volume Leveling -> Disable. (After disabling, a Mode option shows up, and I left my on the default RF).

So far, my DVR recordings are no longer have audio dropouts.

Unfortunately, disabling Volume Leveling has not stopped the dropouts on my equipment. This afternoon I was chasing live and started getting audio dropouts. I went into settings and disabled Volume Leveling. Due to the way Volume Leveling works, the video jumped ahead, but neither the jump or disabling made any difference.

I then reset the receiver (as mentioned above). After the reset finished, I paused the video for 1 minute and when played the dropouts were gone. Aside from switching over to the TOSLINK, resetting the receiver is the only way I've found to temporarily correct the issue.

Blowgun

#20 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

The trouble with this problem is it is intermittent. This has been going on for over a year according to the Dish website. I've changed the Hopper and HDMI cables, problem persisted. A tech came out and found a small piece of the metal coax shield almost touching the copper wire in the center of a connection. No more problem for two weeks. I decided to add a second hopper in the bedroom. For some reason the installer decided to hook up some kind of signal checker on the living room cable. He got an error and ended up changing every cable in the entire system, the lnb, the new dual node twice and still showed the error. His boss came out and told him not to go by the meter, check strength in the program, which was great. Problem is my audio dropout was back. I've had Dish back twice but no joy. They changed all connections. The latest tech said since I had the problem when going through my Onkyo and not when hooked direct to the TV, they could not help me. I decided to hook the HDMI direct to my tv and use a digital optical cable to go to the Onkyo. The problem promptly went away and has not appeared in the last week. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I should add this only happened with the Hopper settings set to Dolby Digital.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, audio, drop outs

Protected By... spam firewall...And...