Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RV Satellite TV, Making a Choice - The "clear" choice is DISH

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,118 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hi All...

As some of you know, my wife and I travel the country in a motor coach.  For some reason I seem to get asked a lot about what satellite service someone should use or even worse, is "can you help me...I can not seem to get HD on my satellite".  

“Okay, okay, I’ll make a video!”…is what I said to one RV owner who came up to talk to me about satellite TV in the RV. You see, we talked for about an hour and at the end, he just kept saying “you need to make a video on your blog about this.”  He would not let it go until I said “Okay.”  So not wanting to break a promise, I made the video and I hope this may help others make a choice.

Here is our travel blog entry on it...

http://www.outsideou...making-a-choice

...and here is the video...

We all have our preferences, but these are my thoughts on it and hope it helps someone.

• damondlt likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

I especially like the flying video.

Well done on the production side and also on the talent side!

Some clips of the antennas in operation might help drive the point across about what's taking place and why it might be noisy.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

There are pro's an con's for both, Dish has the rcvrs w/ built in OTA tuners for scanning for local off-air channels, but no DNS.

Directv on the other, does have DNS (Distant network service [locals]) but only has OTA tuners that are 'plug an play' via USB, an only w/ certain models..

My choice would be directv, simply cuz, as long as HD is not important, u just need a single LNB dish an aim at 1 SAT thats higher in the sky than dishnets birds, plus u can sub to Distant Locals, for when u cannot receive any locals via OTA.  I know u can 'change your location' w/ Dish whenever u move the RV to a new city, but w/ directv u save yourself that phone call an can always watch E & W coast locals from NYC & LA.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#4 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

You are correct...But really this comes down to HDTV reception as most people kind of expect that in this day an age.  But you surely are correct if you don't care about getting HDTV.  And and you know, the Distant Locals you can get from DirecTV are in SD only.  So again, no HD.  (Sat Domes)

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#5 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

You are correct...But really this comes down to HDTV reception as most people kind of expect that in this day an age.  But you surely are correct if you don't care about getting HDTV.  And and you know, the Distant Locals you can get from DirecTV are in SD only.  So again, no HD. 

I was told when enquiring on an upcoming move to a DNS area, the DNS channels were all in HD if equipment was HD. Now I'm going to have to call and confirm again or could someone else confirm. 

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#6 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

I was told when enquiring on an upcoming move to a DNS area, the DNS channels were all in HD if equipment was HD. Now I'm going to have to call and confirm again or could someone else confirm.

That is correct, DirecTV offers DNS in HD if you have the proper equipment. You only get either East Coast or West Coast though, not both. Some grandfathered users who insisted on keeping both coasts only have SD, that might be where the confusion is.

Also Dish before they went out of the DNS business only offered SD DNS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by cpalmer2k, 05 August 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for that confirmation. I also found confirmation in a RV forum for those wanting Directv they do offer HD. 

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,908 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for that confirmation. I also found confirmation in a RV forum for those wanting Directv they do offer HD.

For clarity ... David mentioned the availability of DirecTV HD in the video but noted (correctly) that one needed a special dish to receive HD. The "no HD" comment refers to the dome antenna that is common on RVs ... not specialized equipment that only is used for DISH or DirecTV. (The dome antenna that, if capable, may be used "in motion" but not for the driver.)

The use of a system specific antenna also allows the receiver to tune to multiple satellites at the same time (if the antenna is capable).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

You're welcome, I have DirecTVs DNS service. It is wonderful.

#10 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

I have the automatic slimline 3 on my Travel trailer.
Works great, and I Do get HD and dvr.

I'm guessing you are talking about the dome system that doesn't have HD with directv?

I love it, and we just use Sirius backseat tv in our 2014 Dodge ram 3500 quad cab, since we don't ride in the travel trailer when we are towing it . Lol.

We have a Coachman 357 5th wheel. So watching tv on the go isn't something we are really into.

It only takes 5 to 10 minutes for slimine to pop up and find satellites. It's sweet.

#11 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

That is correct, DirecTV offers DNS in HD if you have the proper equipment. You only get either East Coast or West Coast though, not both. Some grandfathered users who insisted on keeping both coasts only have SD, that might be where the confusion is.

Also Dish before they went out of the DNS business only offered SD DNS

My parents have east and west HD DNS from Directv. There was a time when they only received west, but when Directv changed the pricing they started offering both costs again. I think this was three or four years ago. I am not sure if this is a grandfathered situation or the norm.

They use a 19X20 dish with a slimline 3 sat LNB attached for HD service. The signal strength is obviously considerably weaker than a full slimline dish, but it has not caused a problem for the 4-5 days at a time they set it up when traveling. They like this solution since 1) you can move the dish around so you don't have to worry about los from a fixed location on the roof 2) the dish is much smaller and lighter than the full slimline.

#12 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'm guessing you are talking about the dome system that doesn't have HD with directv?

Yes, a lot of the video was just about driving that point home. :)  Not to mention the RANT part of the blog post. :)  

And yes, you are right, the Travl'ers are quick and easy.  Kind of cool how it all works automatically. ;)

• damondlt likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yes, a lot of the video was just about driving that point home. :) Not to mention the RANT part of the blog post. :)

And yes, you are right, the Travl'ers are quick and easy. Kind of cool how it all works automatically. ;)

Yes too bad I can't bolt one of those to my house lol.

#14 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yes too bad I can't bolt one of those to my house lol.

Don't see why you could not.   :)  Not sure why you would want other than it's cool.  You could stow it during a bad storm I guess.  But the cost of it would out weigh just replacing 8 storm damaged ones.   :)

My avatar at the left is of my G74 Internet dish that was automatic.  .74 meter dish with a 1 watt transmitter.  Now THAT was COOL.  (No longer being used and is being stored at my dads home.)

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...