Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cannae Drive for Satellites

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

NASA Says Puzzling New Space Drive Can Generate Thrust Without Propellant

gizmag.png by DARIO BORGHINO

A NASA study has recently concluded that the "Cannae Drive," a disruptive new method of space propulsion, can produce small amounts of thrust without the use of propellant, in apparent discordance with Newton's third law. According to its inventor, the device can harness microwave radiation inside a resonator, turning electricity into a net thrust. If further verified and perfected, the advance could revolutionize the space industry, dramatically cutting costs for both missions in deep space and satellites in Earth orbit.

The basic principle behind space propulsion is very simple: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Use a rocket engine to throw mass one way, get propelled the other way. And according to the law of conservation of momentum, the more mass you throw behind you and the faster you throw it, the stronger your forward thrust will be.

One consequence for space travel is that, to counter Earth's gravity and reach orbital velocity, rockets need to carry a very large amount of propellant: For instance, in the now-retired Space Shuttle, the mass of the fuel was almost twenty times greater than the payload itself. In satellites the impact is smaller, but still very significant: for geostationary satellites, fuel can make up as much as half the launch weight, and that makes them more expensive to launch and operate.

But now, a NASA study has concluded that a new type of spacecraft propulsion is able to generate thrust without propellant. This appears to violate the law of conservation of momentum: in other words, if no mass (fuel or otherwise) is being ejected from the system, where is the thrust coming from? Where is the equal and opposite reaction?

SNIP

READ WHOLE ARTICLE

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Interesting. It sure would change space if that is right.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Interesting. It sure would change space if that is right.

That is interesting.  I wonder if it would have any earthbound applications.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Closer to a warp drive maybe
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Closer to a warp drive maybe

It does make one think about exciting possibilities. Right now it's as if it were the early 1700's and we are reading about the invention of the Newcomen atmospheric engine (aka steam engine) but now have to wait 60 years for a James Watt to come along and make it practical in revolutionary ways.

Edited by phrelin, 05 August 2014 - 10:26 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

It does make one think about exciting possibilities. Right now it's as if it were the early 1700's and we are reading about the invention of the Newcomen atmospheric engine (aka steam engine) but now have to wait 60 years for a James Watt to come along and make it practical in revolutionary ways.

lol yep is there a Zefram Cochrane born yet that we don't know about yet lol
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

That time frame sounds about right considering that Zefram Cochrane will invent the warp drive in 2063...

Seriously, this just reinforces my belief that you can never say something is impossible, just impossible with our current understanding of science and technology

Edit:  Boukengreen beat me to it :)

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

That time frame sounds about right considering that Zefram Cochrane will invent the warp drive in 2063...

Seriously, this just reinforces my belief that you can never say something is impossible, just impossible with our current understanding of science and technology

Edit: Boukengreen beat me to it :)

yep we're on the same mind frame lol

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hopefully it will not take as long as it took to harness the power of Fusion. Oops...

#10 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,632 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hopefully it will not take as long as it took to harness the power of Fusion. Oops...

Particularly COLD fusion!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Particularly COLD fusion!

I knew I was missing something in my post. Man this getting old sucks. :)

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

That is interesting.  I wonder if it would have any earthbound applications.

Rich

Think our gravity would make any movement extremely small compared to weightlessness of space.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Think our gravity would make any movement extremely small compared to weightlessness of space.

I think it would take a lot to change our normal gravity even a little bit

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

If you think outside the box, you'll find that we've defeated gravity in many ways.  Airplanes are an example.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

If you think outside the box, you'll find that we've defeated gravity in many ways. Airplanes are an example.

Rich

I was excluding external factors like roller coasters, planes, car wrecks. Et all

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

I was excluding external factors like roller coasters, planes, car wrecks. Et all

Hovercraft fit into that category too, as do the space shuttles and rocket ships.  We just don't think of them as "anti-gravity" devices.  

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

I would assume the microwave energy has to come from somewhere, (either beamed to the spacecraft, solar or nuclear-generated).  I don't know much about physical astro-dynamics, but the concept of energy exchange shouldn't be too hard to grasp.  Only when limited to thinking of having to eject some sort of mass (conventional, or even ion drive propulsion) does this seem totally mysterious.

However, it certainly doesn't sound like the type of propulsion that's going to get a spacecraft from the ground up into orbit all by itself! Seems to me it would most likely be used to maneuver spacecraft already in orbit (such as our beloved broadcast satellites).

#18 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

I would assume the microwave energy has to come from somewhere, (either beamed to the spacecraft, solar or nuclear-generated).  I don't know much about physical astro-dynamics, but the concept of energy exchange shouldn't be too hard to grasp.  Only when limited to thinking of having to eject some sort of mass (conventional, or even ion drive propulsion) does this seem totally mysterious.

However, it certainly doesn't sound like the type of propulsion that's going to get a spacecraft from the ground up into orbit all by itself! Seems to me it would most likely be used to maneuver spacecraft already in orbit (such as our beloved broadcast satellites).

Once in space it could be use to travel to other planets or even other stars. If I remmenber correctly to get to Mars you would accelerate for half the distance turn the craft around and decelerate the rest of the way. Please feel free to correct any or all of this as I am going from memory from something I migth have study forty or fifty years ago. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...