Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hopper w/sling and 2 joeys not working properly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

I have a customer that is having continuous problems. The room where the hopper is has always worked fine from day 1. The 2 joeys randomly give the error message looking for hopper (msg 1305). They primarily do it on recordings, although they have done it on live tv. When the problem happens the only way to get them working is by resetting the joey. Sometimes just powering down and back on will fix it. We have replaced the hopper, node, splitter and tested the plugs and also the ground. Any ideas that ya'll could come up with would be a great help. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

Is the Joey cabling existing or new coax?  That is the only variable you did not mention.  Thanks.

I have a customer that is having continuous problems. The room where the hopper is has always worked fine from day 1. The 2 joeys randomly give the error message looking for hopper (msg 1305). They primarily do it on recordings, although they have done it on live tv. When the problem happens the only way to get them working is by resetting the joey. Sometimes just powering down and back on will fix it. We have replaced the hopper, node, splitter and tested the plugs and also the ground. Any ideas that ya'll could come up with would be a great help. Thanks

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

You mention a splitter... where and how are you using a splitter in the configuration?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

The cabling to the joey's I did not replace. It is rg-6 cable that was working on Directv when we put in dish. As far as the splitter it is a 2 way holland diode steered splitter.  It is at the solo node hooked to the client port.  

#5 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

The 2 joeys are hooked to the splitter of course.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Sounds like you have replaced everything except the Joeys...  Any reason why you haven't replaced those?

While it seems unlikely that both Joeys would fail in the same way at the same time... it might be possible for one Joey's failure to corrupt the MoCA network in a way that messes with the other Joey's connection as well.

#7 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

I have thought about that, but didn't realize one bad joey could possibly make the other one have problems as well.I will replace them this afternoon and see how it works. Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

It probably shouldn't normally... but I can imagine ways that any network can get corrupt traffic, and that can bog down the entire network... if one Joey starts making a lot of bad requests or something... just spitballing since I don't know exactly how the MoCA network manages traffic... but we do know there are bandwidth limits, so I have to think it's possible for a scenario to exist where a Joey or Hopper could be doing something incorrectly that taxes the bandwidth across the network and then might manifest in unexpected ways.

#9 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

sorry I havent responded to the post. I have replaced the joeys and the problem is still happening. The only thing left to replace is the cable runs to the 2 joey's, although I'm not optimistic that it will resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

#10 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have seen this happen when Joeys and Hoppers are connected with both MOCA and ethernet. Limiting the ethernet connection to just one device fixes it.

#11 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

I've seen that but before too. Unfortunatly thats not the problem. The hopper is connected to the internet via wifi

#12 OFFLINE   eisberg

eisberg

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

IF you haven't verified every inch of those cable lines, there is a good chance that the cable lines are the issue.  There could be something on those lines that nobody saw, like another splitter, a Direct TV device, stuff that can still pass a toner signal.  I always try dummy lines to see if that clears the issue.  If it does, then that meant the cables were the issue and I replaced the cable lines.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...