Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie C41 client and Advanced IR setup?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmark

jmark

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

My Google-fu must be lacking but I can't seem to find out how to set up my C41 clients to use alternate IR codes.  I have all my boxes centralized in a rack with IR distribution throughout the house.  While RF seems to work okay in some areas of the house, the master bedroom is probably close to the 100 foot limit from the boxes and it's just an exercise in frustration trying to use the remote there - it's either too sensitive or it waits a few seconds before anything happens and then you get a run of commands... With my old setup I could set up 8 different sets of IR codes using the Advanced Setup in the menu options... it doesn't appear that this is possible anymore with the C41s... why the heck not?  Am I missing something?  As it stands, I'm frustrated beyond belief with this setup and while the Genie functionally is awesome, I can't stand the RF remote.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Part of the RF setup is the actual last 6 digits of the serial number of the receiver. This makes a distinction between the receivers.

Have you gone into the Remote Setup and chosen Advanced Setup to see what it says there ? I do not have a Genie so what mine says to do might be different than your, especially since your remote does not have a Mode Switch.

Edited by jimmie57, 05 August 2014 - 09:41 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jmark

jmark

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

The thing is I don't WANT the RF setup - it's just not working consistently enough.  I want the IR setup that my old receivers supported... i.e. the Advanced IR setup that allowed you to use up to 8 different codes... 00001, 00002, 00003 etc.  It seems this functionality isn't present on the C41 even though it was on the C31 - at least I can't find it.  Seems like a pretty bad oversight if this is accurate.  If there's no way to do this then the Genie is useless to me and I'll end up sending it back and going back to using my old equipment.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

The thing is I don't WANT the RF setup - it's just not working consistently enough.  I want the IR setup that my old receivers supported... i.e. the Advanced IR setup that allowed you to use up to 8 different codes... 00001, 00002, 00003 etc.  It seems this functionality isn't present on the C41 even though it was on the C31 - at least I can't find it.  Seems like a pretty bad oversight if this is accurate.  If there's no way to do this then the Genie is useless to me and I'll end up sending it back and going back to using my old equipment.

In a worst case scenario, but better than doing without the Genie, how about replacing the C41 clients with an HD receiver ? You could then use those codes that you want on them. This would also give you 2 more tuners to use.

Would that work for you ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   jmark

jmark

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

That's what I had before I got the Genie "upgrade"... had 2 DVRs and a regular HD receiver all sitting in the rack.  With MRV it was basically the same as what the Genie offers although I don't have to worry about changing DVRs to record things when I've got more than 2 at the same time going on.

Can anybody confirm that the IR codes have indeed gone away with the C41?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Can anybody confirm that the IR codes have indeed gone away with the C41?

Confirmed!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Not confirmed. If the C41 is in IR mode and the remote is in IR mode, I believe you can still set up the advanced settings. You may have to switch the remote back to IR mode to see the correct menu. Mute and Select until light flashes twice , then 987 to set remote back to IR.

#8 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

My C41 was programmed for code 00005 IIRC. Try an older remote, if you have one, to enter the menu. The options on the Remote Control entry in Settings can be different depending on which remote you are using.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...