Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22-100 receiver reboots each time its turned on by MX3000 remote

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

When we moved into this new house the theater room was sold to us with the equipment.  Along with it came a MX3000 Universal Remote (its one of those larger remotes with a touch screen, its an older one).  It uses RF to communicate back to a base which then uses IR repeaters to the different devices.

Now my issue which I cannot figure out is that everything I use the ON button on the MX3000 (which then turns on my AV receiver, the Projector), it causes the HR22 to reboot everytime, like someone hit the red button.  The HR22 was setup as RF on its remote, so I decided to make it IR.  Then tried it again, still same thing (mind you there is no IR repeater in front of the HR22).  So then I ruled out the fact that probably cant be an RF signal the HR22 is somehow picking up.  So then taped the IR on the HR22 so it cant receive any signal from any remote, it still reboots with the MX3000.

I cannot program this MX3000 as it comes with this software that seems to ONLY be available to programmers or installers and I cannot source this software ANYWHERE online.  So I cant reprogram it to see whats causing it.

What other options do I have?  Is the HR22 faulty?

Dixit

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Link to the following cut and paste.

http://www.universal...wnersManual.pdf

Programming the MX-3000

The MX-3000 is programmed via a windows PC equipped with a USB

port (we include a programming cable in the box), using our proprietary

software, MX-3000 Editor. You can download this software from our website:

www.universalremote.com

Basic setup takes only a few minutes with this software. However, to fully

automate an audio/video system the user must have a detailed knowledge

of how the system is connected and operated. We highly recommend that

you use a professional audio/video installer to program your MX-3000 if

you would like to enjoy one touch operation via macros.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

As I stated earlier, this software is not available online.  That PDF is very old.  URC has pulled the software from the site and also they will refuse to give it to you via phone even if you have legitimately bought it.  They claim only dealers have it and you need to pay a dealer to reprogram it.  So getting the software is not happening and I don't feel like paying $300 for a dealer to reprogram it and find out the problem is the HR22.

Dixit

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

As I stated earlier, this software is not available online.  That PDF is very old.  URC has pulled the software from the site and also they will refuse to give it to you via phone even if you have legitimately bought it.  They claim only dealers have it and you need to pay a dealer to reprogram it.  So getting the software is not happening and I don't feel like paying $300 for a dealer to reprogram it and find out the problem is the HR22.

Dixit

Wow ! Sorry about that. I thought maybe it was just a site that you had missed.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

The fact that going to IR and covering the IR port does not solve the problem would seem to indicate it's not the remote causing this.

Try disconnecting the projector from the DirecTV box and try the remote again. Does the HR22 still reboot??

#6 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

I can try that but technically the HR22 isn't connected directly to the Projector.  Its connected to the AV receiver (which was switched out a few months ago) and problem still persisted.  Right now the HDMI cable goes from the DirecTV to the Pioneer AV receiver.  Then from there it has a out HDMI to the Sony Projector.  I can try to see if disconnecting the HDMI entirely off the back of the DTV HR22 solves it. 

Dixit

#7 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Symptoms could indicate the DVR is experiencing a short power interruption, causing it to reboot.  Preventing this is the main reason I've got my DVR powered through an uninteruptible power supply.

How does the DVR receive it's power?   Is it connected to anything that you think there is a remote possibility of the remote being able to affect?

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#8 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Symptoms could indicate the DVR is experiencing a short power interruption, causing it to reboot.  Preventing this is the main reason I've got my DVR powered through an uninteruptible power supply.

How does the DVR receive it's power?   Is it connected to anything that you think there is a remote possibility of the remote being able to affect?

Starting to lean on the concept this HR22 is defective.  I walked up to it to test just now, the HR22 was on, so I went to turn it off to try my tests (of turning it on via the MX3000 remote) and it refuses to turn off.  Tried with the remote and the PWR button on the unit itself. 

It is plugged into the same set of outlets the entire theater room AV rack goes into like the Amp, AV receiver, Xbox, etc.  The outlet itself has plenty of amperage to support it but I think I see what you are getting at, when the AV receiver turns on with the amp, it could be drawing a lot to the point where maybe voltage drops enough to where the DTV box just reboots.  I may have to run an extension cord to test that theory.  All my components go through a high end Monster Power conditioner first to attempt to help alleviate these spikes/dips.

Dixit

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

It is plugged into the same set of outlets the entire theater room AV rack goes into like the Amp, AV receiver, Xbox, etc.  

Make sure these outlets are not the "smart" type" when turning off a main device the strip turns off others 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Make sure these outlets are not the "smart" type" when turning off a main device the strip turns off others 

Nope definitely not.  As I mentioned earlier just 1hr ago when I tried to do some tests, everything is off but the DVR is on but I cant power it off either.  So its in a stuck state for some reason.  That's why Im leaning on maybe this being defective. Im going to reboot and try some tests.  Then maybe call DTV tech support to see if they think its defective.

Dixit

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Starting to lean on the concept this HR22 is defective.  I walked up to it to test just now, the HR22 was on, so I went to turn it off to try my tests (of turning it on via the MX3000 remote) and it refuses to turn off.  Tried with the remote and the PWR button on the unit itself. 

It is plugged into the same set of outlets the entire theater room AV rack goes into like the Amp, AV receiver, Xbox, etc.  The outlet itself has plenty of amperage to support it but I think I see what you are getting at, when the AV receiver turns on with the amp, it could be drawing a lot to the point where maybe voltage drops enough to where the DTV box just reboots.  I may have to run an extension cord to test that theory.  All my components go through a high end Monster Power conditioner first to attempt to help alleviate these spikes/dips.

Dixit

They are dreadful HRs.  Why not see if you can replace it with a 24?  

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Nope definitely not.  As I mentioned earlier just 1hr ago when I tried to do some tests, everything is off but the DVR is on but I cant power it off either.  So its in a stuck state for some reason.  That's why Im leaning on maybe this being defective. Im going to reboot and try some tests.  Then maybe call DTV tech support to see if they think its defective.

Dixit

Call Retention.  D* tech support is also dreadful.  First thing they'll ask you to do is reset it.  They just read from a list of things that might solve a problem.  If you call Retention and politely tell them what you're going thru, they'll probably get a 24 out to you even tho they "can't guarantee any particular model".  Sounds like you've suffered enough.  

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well I thought I found the issue. I noticed just it would reboot even if I didn't use the remote, turned on the projector by hand and Pioneer receiver by hand, and still rebooted.

So I decided to plug it into a different outlet.  And test it and now it refuses to come up.  Just got the nice problem with storage device message with an error code.  GREAT............... Guess we lost all the shows.  Now I got to deal with DTV to replace this.

Dixit

#14 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Well I thought I found the issue. I noticed just it would reboot even if I didn't use the remote, turned on the projector by hand and Pioneer receiver by hand, and still rebooted.

So I decided to plug it into a different outlet.  And test it and now it refuses to come up.  Just got the nice problem with storage device message with an error code.  GREAT............... Guess we lost all the shows.  Now I got to deal with DTV to replace this.

Dixit

I don't think you will have a problem replacing it if it will not boot up.

They have a list of stuff they ask you to do ( they have been instructed to do it ) and then they should send you one.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Dixit

Look at this as an opportunity rather than a loss.  You'll probably get a 24 if you deal with retention.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Dixit

Dixit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

I asked them to send me a 24 but as you and they stated, there is no guarantee and its going to be a surprise when I open the box.

Dixit

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I asked them to send me a 24 but as you and they stated, there is no guarantee and its going to be a surprise when I open the box.

Dixit

You should have asked for a truck to roll.  I should have mentioned that.  Sorry.  If it's not a 24, don't activate it, call Retention, politely tell them the problems you've had with the 22 and they should be more than happy to send a truck.  Be polite.  Can't stress that enough.  You've had enough issues to get a truck.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

You should have asked for a truck to roll.  I should have mentioned that.  Sorry.  If it's not a 24, don't activate it, call Retention, politely tell them the problems you've had with the 22 and they should be more than happy to send a truck.  Be polite.  Can't stress that enough.  You've had enough issues to get a truck.

Rich

A truck roll wont guarantee an HR24 either.  HR23s a flying out now by the truck loads....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

A truck roll wont guarantee an HR24 either.  HR23s a flying out now by the truck loads....

If it were my home, the dreadful 23s would be flying right back into the truck.  Never happens here.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

If it were my home, the dreadful 23s would be flying right back into the truck. Never happens here.

Rich

I was stating a fact. Not referring to you
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...