Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Date A Movie Was Released ?????????

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

I recently noticed that in the GUIDE sometimes the date that a particular movie was released was omitted.  Now it is such that the release date for some movies can only be seen on the second page of information.  That bugs the hell out of me because the release date of all movies should be on the first line of the first page of information, as it always has been for the last ten years.  What's worse, however, is that when I go to an actors filmography and look at the list movies for that actor, at least as of today on about five channels that I checked, nowhere is the movie's release date mentioned.  That is outrageous.  The date of a movie's realease is one of the most important pieces of information about it.  The provider of DTV's Guide has been Tribune Media Services.  Now it is Gracenote.  I don't know if this is just a name change or a philosophy change, too.

• RexB likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

That is what IMDB is for.  When I look in the guide, I want the information that will make me decide whether I want to watch the program - not the historical detail.  I agree that it should be on the second screen, if at all.  Now, it is a television series, then knowing the first air date will tell me whether it is a first run or rerun, but even that is of secondary importance to me than the description of the episode is.  IMDB is a great reference for all of the historical information.

• tnd777 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I've noticed this too. Very annoying. Sometimes if you hit the "Info" button it will be there, but was much more convenient having it in the description.  

• RexB likes this

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

The biggest culprit is TCM HD. The sd channel has the date.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

fleckrj IMDb is on my computer not on my TV screen.  It take way too much time.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Missing information on a movie in the Guide when it's readily available elsewhere is hardly "outrageous". The evening news is outrageous, or rather some events being reported on are outrageous. 

But, nice work to learn that Gracenote is now providing movie info. How did you come across that info, please? 

• tnd777 likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

I recently noticed that in the GUIDE sometimes the date that a particular movie was released was omitted.  Now it is such that the release date for some movies can only be seen on the second page of information.  That bugs the hell out of me because the release date of all movies should be on the first line of the first page of information, as it always has been for the last ten years.  What's worse, however, is that when I go to an actors filmography and look at the list movies for that actor, at least as of today on about five channels that I checked, nowhere is the movie's release date mentioned.  That is outrageous.  The date of a movie's realease is one of the most important pieces of information about it.  The provider of DTV's Guide has been Tribune Media Services.  Now it is Gracenote.  I don't know if this is just a name change or a philosophy change, too.

Agreed, have noticed it, too, and also find it quite annoying. After the title, the date of release is the single most important piece of information with regard to a movie and should always appear in such order.

• RexB likes this

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Agreed, have noticed it, too, and also find it quite annoying. After the title, the date of release is the single most important piece of information with regard to a movie and should always appear in such order.

No it isn't the second most important; actors are. 

But I believe it should always be readily accessible. I'd even call for exact date of release, not just the year, at least for films in the last few years. 

Oh, hey! It's also fun to guess when a picture was released....

#9 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

No it isn't the second most important; actors are. 

Nope, not even a close second. Given the title and date, I pretty much know who the actors are, particularly with the all-too-common remakes (AKA refakes). Date of release is far more critical a piece of information when determining as to whether or not I have any interest in watching/recording/perusing the film.

• RexB likes this

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#10 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

The provider of DTV's Guide has been Tribune Media Services.  Now it is Gracenote.  I don't know if this is just a name change or a philosophy change, too.

Tribune Media Services will become Gracenote. One team, one brand and a single, unified vision to be the leading provider of music and TV data, everywhere.

The bringing together of Gracenote and TMS makes perfect sense. Each company is a recognized and respected leader in music and video metadata. Together, as one organization, we will do so much more to serve our customers, as well as music, TV and movie fans around the world.

http://www.tribuneme...-gracenote-FAQs

http://www.tribuneme...the-perfect-mix

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Doesn't hitting "Info" always give you the date on the 1st page? I thought it did.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

I'm confused.... I just hit 'Info' for 2 HBO movies and the year is right there. It's even right there in the guide. Also, what's so important about knowing the date released? The year isn't enough?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

fleckrj IMDb is on my computer not on my TV screen.  It take way too much time.

It is on my phone.  It takes no more time than looking at the info screen on DirecTV.

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Doesn't matter if the data is elsewhere, it should be on the main info page. It is considered important information as titles get replicated by remakes and non-remakes but the same title in the same year is pretty much non-existant, so the "full" title of the movie is the title of the movie as well as the year it was made.

It is information that has been traditionally in the main guide and telling someone that the data they have relied on that is now gone is unimportant is a matter of taste and choice.

I find it weak that it is missing. How hard is it to get that right?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Doesn't matter if the data is elsewhere, it should be on the main info page. It is considered important information as titles get replicated by remakes and non-remakes but the same title in the same year is pretty much non-existant, so the "full" title of the movie is the title of the movie as well as the year it was made.

It is information that has been traditionally in the main guide and telling someone that the data they have relied on that is now gone is unimportant is a matter of taste and choice.

I find it weak that it is missing. How hard is it to get that right?

Can you give an example currently where it's not there?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Can you give an example currently where it's not there?

Most, if not all, the TCM HD are not on the main info page last I looked. As I reported above, it is on the TCM SD guide data. Not sure if it is in further info, but it shouldn't be required to go there. The format as long as I have had DirecTV for movies was the year was right after the title.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

As hard as it may be for TMS aka Gracenote, aka.__________ , to get info right on hundreds of thousands of titles. They goof. People get upset and blame DIRECTV® when they could contact TMS. I said it wasn't outrageous, not that the date wasn't quite important. It shows in the right spot for probably 95% of the time. 

In response to a post by Rich:

"Doesn't matter if the data is elsewhere, it should be on the main info page. It is considered important information as titles get replicated by remakes and non-remakes but the same title in the same year is pretty much non-existant, so the "full" title of the movie is the title of the movie as well as the year it was made.

I find it weak that it is missing. How hard is it to get that right?"

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Nope, not even a close second. Given the title and date, I pretty much know who the actors are, particularly with the all-too-common remakes (AKA refakes). Date of release is far more critical a piece of information when determining as to whether or not I have any interest in watching/recording/perusing the film.

With such an encyclopedic knowledge of film, one would think you'd know the date from the title and key actors! No?

I agree the date should be there, but it's not a big deal when the tags are occasionally misplaced, wrong or missing. Contact TMS/Gracenote!

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

As hard as it may be for TMS aka Gracenote, aka.__________ , to get info right on hundreds of thousands of titles. They goof. People get upset and blame DIRECTV® when they could contact TMS. I said it wasn't outrageous, not that the date wasn't quite important. It shows in the right spot for probably 95% of the time. 

I agree that it is not outrageous but it is more than a minor annoyance to some of us who use the data (and have been trained to use it).

I am on the fence on blame. I don't really care in this case who is to blame. If DirecTV fields a complaint on a case like this, they should pass it on the to supplier and get it fixed.

BTW, this is more than an occasional error. Those happen (although with movies they should almost never happen since the data is in databases already). As I explained, the same movie on the same channel (just HD versus SD) will have the date information different on a pretty consistent basis. That is not just a one off mistake in a field of hundreds of thousands. That is a systemic problem, that may exist with the data provider, or the link or the reformatting process.

It really isn't up to the customer to track down who made the error. Just as it would be incorrect for the customer to blindly "blame" DirecTV or anyone else without full knowledge.

Edited by tonyd79, 06 August 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

Yes, oftentimes the date of a movie's release is mentioned on the second page of INFO that you get by pressing the INFO button.  Call me lazy, but my life is about fewer and fewer steps, not more and more.  The release ALWAYS used to be on the first page as the thrid thing mentioned after the title and the airing time.  Example:  Movie, Drama. (1994), and then some of the actor's names.   Also, again when I checked the filmography listings for about 20 actors and actresses, the dates of the movies associated with them was not posted anywhere.  I say that is outrageous.  Someone wanted an example of a movie where the date of release was not mentioned at all.  As of 6:00am Pacific this morning, I could not find a single example.  In fact I also noticed this morning that a noteably higher percentage of movies now have the release dates on the first page.  Maybe my emails to Gracenote are working, I'd like to think anyway.  Ha ha.  Now put the release dates in the filmographys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...