Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

replacing 2 HR21-100 receiveres with Genie and Mini

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

So DirecTV is coming out to my house next week to replace my 2 HR21-100s with a Genie and a Genie Mini (assuming that's a smart move on my part but please let me know if I'm wrong).  Anyway, I have numerous recordings on each of these receivers that I have already watched but that I would like to save if at all possible. I understand that I will not be able to transfer these recordings to the Genie, and I also would prefer to not have to merely record them onto a DVD-R in SD.

What options (if any) do I have if I want to preserve them in HD if at all possible?  I have a MacBook if that makes any difference.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

In regards to the client, basically, you'd be adding a tuner overall, but only when the client is not in use, and all recordings will be on a single box instead of two.

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

So DirecTV is coming out to my house next week to replace my 2 HR21-100s with a Genie and a Genie Mini (assuming that's a smart move on my part but please let me know if I'm wrong). 

IMO, the biggest potential issue with a pure Genie / Client environment is that, if the Genie dies for any reason, you will lose all TV at your home until it is replaced.  If you had a second DVR or a receiver instead of the client, at least you'd be able to watch TV using that box until the Genie is replaced.

When I got my Genie, I had an HR20 and two HR21's.  The installer agreed to replace the two DVR's that I was keeping with faster HR24's.

#4 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

IMO, the biggest potential issue with a pure Genie / Client environment is that, if the Genie dies for any reason, you will lose all TV at your home until it is replaced.  If you had a second DVR or a receiver instead of the client, at least you'd be able to watch TV using that box until the Genie is replaced.

When I got my Genie, I had an HR20 and two HR21's.  The installer agreed to replace the two DVR's that I was keeping with faster HR24's.

Hadn't thought about that.  So would you recommend asking the tech to just give me the Genie and replace one of the HR21s with a faster DVR?  If so, would I be losing any capablities that the Genie mini would give me?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

What options (if any) do I have if I want to preserve them in HD if at all possible?  I have a MacBook if that makes any difference.

Since you have a MB, you probably want to look at El Gato products.  EyeHD TV  will allow you to record on HD inn real time

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hadn't thought about that.  So would you recommend asking the tech to just give me the Genie and replace one of the HR21s with a faster DVR?  If so, would I be losing any capablities that the Genie mini would give me?

First, you may have to ask the tech ni$ely if he could replace your old clunky HR21 with an HR24, he does not have to.  The  only thing you may loose is the ability to manage the Genie from the second TV is.  IMO, having a Genie and an DVR instead of a mini is the way to go 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Since you have a MB, you probably want to look at El Gato products.  EyeHD TV  will allow you to record on HD inn real time

So basically component out from the HR21s to the EyeTV HD connected to my MB (connected how?) and then simply play the recordings and capture them in HD on my computer?

#8 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

First, you may have to ask the tech ni$ely if he could replace your old clunky HR21 with an HR24, he does not have to.  The  only thing you may loose is the ability to manage the Genie from the second TV is.  IMO, having a Genie and an DVR instead of a mini is the way to go 

So I'd lose the ability to access the Genie from the second TV?  That would seem to be a pretty big negative, no?

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

You can access the Genie recordings and delete them from another DVR (using the Whole Home feature) but you can't manage the Genie- set up new recordings etc You can do that from the Genie mini (client) because it's really an extension of the Genie, it uses a Genie tuner. Many people are nervous about having only the Genie plus client(s) because everything is dependent on the Genie, the mini client won't work without it, so if the Genie develops a fault you are dead in the water.

#10 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Basically, trade one DVR (the one with fewer programs you want to keep) for a Genie.  Keep the other DVR if it has shows you really want.  If you're not concerned about keeping any shows, you might get to trade for a faster HR24.  Don't count on that trade happening, though.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#11 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

You can access the Genie recordings and delete them from another DVR (using the Whole Home feature) but you can't manage the Genie- set up new recordings etc You can do that from the Genie mini (client) because it's really an extension of the Genie, it uses a Genie tuner. Many people are nervous about having only the Genie plus client(s) because everything is dependent on the Genie, the mini client won't work without it, so if the Genie develops a fault you are dead in the water.

Ah - I think I understand now.  The HD DVR will simply give me full access to the recordings on the Genie while the Genie Mini will give me that plus the ability to set up recordings, do PIP, have access to five tuners, change settings on the Genie, etc.

Edited by psywzrd, 05 August 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

, do PIP, have access to five tuners, change settings on the Genie, etc.

No PIP on mini. With a DVR you will have access to tuners instead of 5

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

No PIP on mini. With a DVR you will have access to tuners instead of 5

I assume you were going to say 7 there?

Also, as far as the EyeTV HD goes, I think it may be overkill for what I need.  Could I just get a video capture card in order to capture these recording from my HR21s on my Mac?  I don't really need the DVR capabilities of the EyeTV so I'd hate to pay more than necessary for what I'm looking to do.

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

So DirecTV is coming out to my house next week to replace my 2 HR21-100s with a Genie and a Genie Mini (assuming that's a smart move on my part but please let me know if I'm wrong).  Anyway, I have numerous recordings on each of these receivers that I have already watched but that I would like to save if at all possible. I understand that I will not be able to transfer these recordings to the Genie, and I also would prefer to not have to merely record them onto a DVD-R in SD.

For a new two year year commitment, you're not gaining anything.

I would kill the Mini & keep one of your HR21.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

I assume you were going to say 7 there?  YES

Also, as far as the EyeTV HD goes, I think it may be overkill for what I need.  Could I just get a video capture card in order to capture these recording from my HR21s on my Mac?  I don't really need the DVR capabilities of the EyeTV so I'd hate to pay more than necessary for what I'm looking to do.

Look on eBay, I bought mine for $79.00 shipped!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Look on eBay, I bought mine for $79.00 shipped!

That's a great deal!!!  I'd jump all over it if I found a deal like that.  I'm not really seeing any great deals on one right now, and I'm also not finding any video capture devices that will do what I need them to do.  Seems like I may just have to bite the bullet and buy one of these things for $160 or so. 

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

That's a great deal!!!  I'd jump all over it if I found a deal like that.  I'm not really seeing any great deals on one right now, and I'm also not finding any video capture devices that will do what I need them to do.  Seems like I may just have to bite the bullet and buy one of these things for $160 or so. 

Here is the listing 

http://bit.ly/1mnuKn8 

you have to keep looking.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

In regards to the client, basically, you'd be adding a tuner overall, but only when the client is not in use, and all recordings will be on a single box instead of two.

No he's adding a tuner period no matter what's going on.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

So DirecTV is coming out to my house next week to replace my 2 HR21-100s with a Genie and a Genie Mini (assuming that's a smart move on my part but please let me know if I'm wrong). Anyway, I have numerous recordings on each of these receivers that I have already watched but that I would like to save if at all possible. I understand that I will not be able to transfer these recordings to the Genie, and I also would prefer to not have to merely record them onto a DVD-R in SD.

What options (if any) do I have if I want to preserve them in HD if at all possible? I have a MacBook if that makes any difference.

I think you are doing exactly what you should do. It's just a better system overall and will be more versital than what you have.

As for your shows, I suggest you simply refectory them when they are on again.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

So I'd lose the ability to access the Genie from the second TV? That would seem to be a pretty big negative, no?

IMHO it's huge. You also would have the same guide on both with a mini, so when you scroll through looking for things to record it won't matter which tv you are at, you'll see if it's set to record. You have to actually remember what you did if you stick with non minis.

The only reason is if the genie goes down you don't have tv for the day or two it takes to get it swapped. And that's assuming you don't have over the air. IMHO, that's the day you watch a blu Ray if it ever does happen.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...