Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

replacing 2 HR21-100 receiveres with Genie and Mini

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

IMHO it's huge. You also would have the same guide on both with a mini, so when you scroll through looking for things to record it won't matter which tv you are at, you'll see if it's set to record. You have to actually remember what you did if you stick with non minis.

The only reason is if the genie goes down you don't have tv for the day or two it takes to get it swapped. And that's assuming you don't have over the air. IMHO, that's the day you watch a blu Ray if it ever does happen.

I'm actually not that concerned with the system going down unless it's on a Saturday or Sunday during football season when I really rely on DirecTV.  I have cable as well and the only reason I keep DirecTV is for Sunday Ticket.  It certainly gets expensive having both but I just can't get rid of DirecTV.  I suppose I could suspend my service from February-August but I'm not even sure if they allow that.  Plus I'm sure I'll have to keep my service active once they upgrade me to the Genie.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

I suppose I could suspend my service from February-August but I'm not even sure if they allow that.  Plus I'm sure I'll have to keep my service active once they upgrade me to the Genie.

Yep, you can.  Up to six months in one year

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Yep, you can.  Up to six months in one year

Could I suspend it for 6 months every year then?

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Could I suspend it for 6 months every year then?

Yep.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yep.

I should just start doing this then.  Suspending my service for 6 months every year will save me over $500/year.  I'll lose the 5-tuner capabilities of the Genie during those months but I can actually just buy myself a Tivo Roamio with the savings and I'll have more tuners than I could possibly need.  Thanks for the info - very helpful!!!

#26 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Just wanted to post a quick update.  While the installation didn't go smoothly (long story), I ended up with one Genie and one Mini.  I did notice that the Mini is a bit slow to respond to remote commands (the Genie itself is great).  Is this normal behavior for a Mini?

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Just wanted to post a quick update. While the installation didn't go smoothly (long story), I ended up with one Genie and one Mini. I did notice that the Mini is a bit slow to respond to remote commands (the Genie itself is great). Is this normal behavior for a Mini?

yup. Minis are a little bit slower than the mothership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

yup. Minis are a little bit slower than the mothership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems more than a bit slower to me.  In fact, I'm thinking about scrapping this whole Genie thing because the mini is so damn slow and doesn't seem to respond very well to remote commands.  I can't even imagine watching a football game or something with this thing and trying to ff through commercials.  I'd probably overshoot it half the time because the mini doesn't respond to the remote.

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

It seems more than a bit slower to me.  In fact, I'm thinking about scrapping this whole Genie thing because the mini is so damn slow and doesn't seem to respond very well to remote commands.  I can't even imagine watching a football game or something with this thing and trying to ff through commercials.  I'd probably overshoot it half the time because the mini doesn't respond to the remote.

Which mini and which Genie do you have?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Which mini and which Genie do you have?

HR44-500 and C41-100

#31 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hmm, I have 2 wireless minis.  I don't feel they are slow at all.  Then again, I went from an HR21 to an HR44 and I don't really notice much of a speed difference there either.  :)

#32 OFFLINE   ColdCase

ColdCase

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

That's a great deal!!!  I'd jump all over it if I found a deal like that.  I'm not really seeing any great deals on one right now, and I'm also not finding any video capture devices that will do what I need them to do.  Seems like I may just have to bite the bullet and buy one of these things for $160 or so. 

You may want to check the http://forums.macrum...isplay.php?f=80 forum.  There are a few other video capture options for component and composite, but I know just enough to be dangerous.  Because of DRM stuff on the HD video, you will not be able to pull off your shows in full HD without more workarounds. The DIRETV box is only going to give you full HD via HDMI. If you want full HD there are legal work arounds (assuming the videos are for personal use only).  

You don't want or need eyeTV. There are a bunch of ways to skin the cat, however. I use an elgato game capture HD box to capture video and record it on my Mac (it comes with software). It is an excellent product that brings the video into the Mac via USB, but it is in the $150 range new.   If I want to record the full HD version I run the DirectTV HDMI through a $40 HDMI 4way splitter to the capture box, there are certain models that work.  Check amazon reviews for the latest.  From the Mac I often edit and convert the video to be suitable for a broad variety of display devices. I use iTunes and AppleTV.   

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

HR44-500 and C41-100

The C41 should be acceptable when paired to an HR44

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

The C41 should be acceptable when paired to an HR44

I'll have to call them because it's not acceptable to me.  It's way too sluggish for me and it misses way too many remote commands.  Maybe I got a lemon.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'll have to call them because it's not acceptable to me.  It's way too sluggish for me and it misses way too many remote commands.  Maybe I got a lemon.

Are you using an RC71 (72) on RF mode?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   psywzrd

psywzrd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Are you using an RC71 (72) on RF mode?

I believe I've tried it in both IR and RF mode; however, I prefer to use my Harmony One anyway.   It doesn't matter which remote I use though - it's sluggish either way.

#37 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Try just the remote in RF and I think you'll see an improvement, though that doesn't help with your Harmony.... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...