Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Receivers, DVRs and R22 0x08A5/0x08A6/0x48A6/0x08CA, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

This is the official Issues and Discussion thread for all HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22.
H2x:  0x08A5/0x48A5/0x48A6
HR2x:  0x08A6
All Receivers: 0x08CA

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...a50x08a60x48a6/

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.
Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Maybe this update will restore MRV on my unsupported setup which stopped after receiving the 884 update on the HR24-500.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

I don't believe that was its purpose, but you can certainly try.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Well, the purpose of these updates lately seem to focus on stability issues and 884 mucked up my MRV between my HR24 and HR23, so maybe it will be mucked up again and reverse my problem. :sure:

If not, then I may just have to upgrade to the HR44.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

The release sucks. 30 skip is constantly jumping to the end of a recording. Bought a new remote too and switched into RF mode. Problems worse. Might go back to IR mode.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#6 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Came here to learn what "official" changes were made with this latest update download.  Clearly, this was an attempt to improve responsiveness of the DVR to the signal generated by the remote.  In the past year the DVR's responsiveness has clearly become delayed, unstable, whatever u wish to call it.  Often, viewing jumps ahead to the next hash mark or to the beginning or end of the content, which is/has been frustrating.

Following update seems the unit is a bit more responsive, but agree with comment above, there are still issues with viewing jumping to end of program, or next hash mark, if keys on remote are sequentially  pushed too quickly.  Seems a slower sequence is now required to increase fast forward speeds, otherwise DVR is unresponsive to subequent pushes of FF button, remaining in first "1" FF speed.  Not a big deal, but ease in which the content now jumps ahead or back needs to be remedied.

#7 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Squawk, I think you hit it on the head.  They must be playing with system I/O buffers or response time, so our quick clicks are registering as press and holds.  Its supposed to jump if you press and hold.  But maybe the system is so bogged down it does not see the unpress, repress event, so it sees press (unpress is missed since system is bogged down/busy), press.  The duration seen as a multi-millisecond "hold" since the system was too slow to register the unpress event, so it jumps to the end.

On my HR24-200 this happens in IR mode with an RC64 remote.  Bought a brand new sealed in bag RC66rx XMP compatable remote and followed the on screen instructions to put it in RF mode and pair it with the HR24.  Still have the problem.

Down in my family room I have an H24 going through a Yamaha AVR.  Because of this setup I have a Logitech Harmony 650 remote.  I have a macro called 3 min skip.  Its defined by a series of 30skip commands to equal 3 minutes.  This used to work perfectly all the time.  Since this release some times this is skipping to the end of the recording.  Sometimes not.  So something they did changed the behavior of the I/O.

I will go back to the RC64 IR remote for the main TV.  Though that had the same problem, it seems the RC66rx remote is worse.  I thought a new remote would be the answer.  Though the old remotes buttons don't feel sticky at all - I thought maybe internally on the board there was an issue on the pads around the transport controls.  I guess not since the replacement newer model remote experiences the same issue.

Edited by cypherx, 13 August 2014 - 06:44 AM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#8 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Squawk, I think you hit it on the head.  They must be playing with system I/O buffers or response time, so our quick clicks are registering as press and holds.  Its supposed to jump if you press and hold.  But maybe the system is so bogged down it does not see the unpress, repress event, so it sees press (unpress is missed since system is bogged down/busy), press.  The duration seen as a multi-millisecond "hold" since the system was too slow to register the unpress event, so it jumps to the end.

On my HR24-200 this happens in IR mode with an RC64 remote.  Bought a brand new sealed in bag RC66rx XMP compatable remote and followed the on screen instructions to put it in RF mode and pair it with the HR24.  Still have the problem.

Down in my family room I have an H24 going through a Yamaha AVR.  Because of this setup I have a Logitech Harmony 650 remote.  I have a macro called 3 min skip.  Its defined by a series of 30skip commands to equal 3 minutes.  This used to work perfectly all the time.  Since this release some times this is skipping to the end of the recording.  Sometimes not.  So something they did changed the behavior of the I/O.

I will go back to the RC64 IR remote for the main TV.  Though that had the same problem, it seems the RC66rx remote is worse.  I thought a new remote would be the answer.  Though the old remotes buttons don't feel sticky at all - I thought maybe internally on the board there was an issue on the pads around the transport controls.  I guess not since the replacement newer model remote experiences the same issue.

Was not aware of the "hold & jump," function you cite, but makes sense based upon experience.  Likely source of unintended jumping & should be fixed.  Only hold function I'm aware of is when in play mode can shift to slow motion, which function did not work well when first rolled out, but now works much better.  Aware if press 30 sec skip while in FF mode, content is jumps to next hash mark.  Software should limit jumping to that function ONLY & save us continual frustration.

Everything worked fine with the remote when I first got machine, an HR24-100, maybe just under 2 years ago.  Don't understand why DirecTV techs decided to "tweak" DVR's response to signals generated by the remote.  For what were purpose?  Why mess with something if it ain't broke?  Now, these jumping glitches are frustrating their subscribers. Seems to me a simple fix.  Just go back to how things were coded over a year ago.  Block all jumping unless 30 sec skip or quick replay buttons are pushed.    FYI, I use RF mode, not IR.

#9 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

0x08A6 Bad release. Came down 2 days ago. 

Remote control now takes a 1/2 minute to respond, and then it is probably the wrong entry.  Have restarted the dvr  2x and still problem happens.

Symptoms:

-  Wait 5 minutes

- channel up on remote

- wait up to a 1/2 minute for channel change ... if it happens

- if you use remote quickly after this , it will work normally, but ...

- If you wait 5 minutes, the next key press will take a minute

Waited 2 days to complain as sometimes it takes a day to settle in.  But this one is not settling in   HR24/500

Any suggestions?  If not I will call support, but you all know what good that will do.

Edited by tas3986, 21 August 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Menu, Search, type in "CLEARMYBOX" and then choose Keyword.

Let it sit there and do it's thing. I did that to mine yesterday morning and it is fine now. Mine was not filling in the Guide Data.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

CLEARMYBOX did its thing, but after restarting, a simple channel up or down takes 15-20 seconds to work. Maybe it will get better as it settles in, I will be patient.

Thank you for the recommendation.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

CLEARMYBOX did its thing, but after restarting, a simple channel up or down takes 15-20 seconds to work. Maybe it will get better as it settles in, I will be patient.

Thank you for the recommendation.

It is slow right at first because it is working hard to replace all of what it dumped out. After 1 day you should notice that it is much better. If not, you might have a different problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

I have had issues others have reported with my HR24-200 not responding as quickly to multiple presses of the remote control.  I noticed this Wednesday night. In the past when I pushed the 30 slip button, I could "stack" them pretty easily.  That night I noticed that the first one would register, but multiple additional presses would be ignored until the first 30 second slip had elapsed.  Then it would respond to additional presses.  I also noticed the same with multiple presses of fast forward.  It would stay on "FF1" for several seconds before it would respond to additional presses to get to "FF3."  I was so reproducible and such a change that I finally realized I must have gotten a software "upgrade."   I checked and found I had.  Last night I had the same problem someone else mentioned where multiple presses of 30 slip took me to the end of a program. 

I always love it when the release notes indicate "improvements under the hood."  This is hardly an improvement. 

SMK

#14 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

tas3986, on 21 Aug 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:tas3986, on 21 Aug 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:

0x08A6 Bad release. Came down 2 days ago. 

Remote control now takes a 1/2 minute to respond, and then it is probably the wrong entry.  Have restarted the dvr  2x and still problem happens.

Symptoms:

-  Wait 5 minutes

- channel up on remote

- wait up to a 1/2 minute for channel change ... if it happens

- if you use remote quickly after this , it will work normally, but ...

- If you wait 5 minutes, the next key press will take a minute

Waited 2 days to complain as sometimes it takes a day to settle in.  But this one is not settling in   HR24/500

Any suggestions?  If not I will call support, but you all know what good that will do.

In the past, when people have reported intolerable delays upon pressing a button on the remote, I have always said to myself that it wasn't so bad (for me, that is).  This upgrade has finally manifested the problem.  tas3986, I see exactly what you are describing--the long wait after a button press, then "normal" function, but if you then wait a few minutes and press a button, you again have the 1/2 to 1 minute wait before it responds.  During the waiting period, the light on the front panel of the receiver doesn't even register that a remote signal was sensed.  This is BY FAR the worst it has ever been.  I know it's been asked before many times, but rhetorically, doesn't DirecTV test these software upgrades before they distribute them nationwide? 

Edited by Church AV Guy, 22 August 2014 - 10:10 PM.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#15 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Same issue. Sticks on FF1 then somehow skips 30 mins or to end. FF and skip unusable.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Same issue. Sticks on FF1 then somehow skips 30 mins or to end. FF and skip unusable.

I never use that but mine is working. Have you tried the "clearmybox" search and choose Keyword and let it clean out all the old data ?

This is similar to the double resets.

#17 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

"Clearmybox" has not helped me.

SMK

#18 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

I found a possible improvement.

I accidently noticed that my TV was in 480p mode, even though DTV is set for only 720p and 1080p (native mode off). Changing/adding DTV resolution settings had no effect. It went all through the motions, confirmations, etc, but the TV always showed 480p even though that setting was not set in DTV. Other TV connections were at correct resolutions. Tried everything. Rebooted everything. Unplugged everything. Switched connections. TV still showed 480p.

As a last resort I hit the format button on the DTV remote. Sure enough it said 480p. Changed to 780p. Now everything started working better. Format only cycles through the 780p settings. Channels change quickly. Skip and FF .... well not as good as it was before the upgrade. No idea how it got to an unchecked 480p mode.

Something in the upgrade must have set the default and only resolution supported to 480p.

Anyway, things seem to be much better now. Time will tell.

Edited by tas3986, 25 August 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

I found a possible improvement.

I accidently noticed that my TV was in 480p mode, even though DTV is set for only 720p and 1080p (native mode off). Changing/adding DTV resolution settings had no effect. It went all through the motions, confirmations, etc, but the TV always showed 480p even though that setting was not set in DTV. Other TV connections were at correct resolutions. Tried everything. Rebooted everything. Unplugged everything. Switched connections. TV still showed 480p.

As a last resort I hit the format button on the DTV remote. Sure enough it said 480p. Changed to 780p. Now everything started working better. Format only cycles through the 780p settings. Channels change quickly. Skip and FF .... well not as good as it was before the upgrade. No idea how it got to an unchecked 480p mode.

Something in the upgrade must have set the default and only resolution supported to 480p.

Anyway, things seem to be much better now. Time will tell.

The resolutions should be 720p and 1080i. 1080p is only used when you do a pay per view movie.

Sometimes the receiver can accidently get set to 480p by pressing and holding the Exit button and putting the receiver in SD mode.

Try it and see how it works.

Pressing and holding it again will take it back to HD mode.

#20 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

As expected this update to resolve my unsupported MRV problem.  I was hoping. 

I restarted both DVRs and reauthorized them from the DirecTV web site.

The network tests show that the ethernet is connected as is the internet.

But, the Whole House reports no DVRs detected.

So I guess this is a good time to upgrade to the HR44.

Edited by jdspencer, 26 August 2014 - 06:15 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...