Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internet Connections Questions

Genie wireless Wireless CINEMA Connection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fbutera

fbutera

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

I have been a "loyal" Directv customer for about 15 years. Presently, my system consists of:

FR: HR21-100 100 hr

BR: HR21-200

Kitchen: HR24-500

I would like to add one more TV in a bedroom where there is no easy way to run a cable.

Questions:

1) If I use the Wireless CINEMA Connection Kit on my FR HR-21, will the other 2 TV's be connected to the internet for purposes of on-demand viewing?

2) If I replace my FR HR-21 with a Genie, will the other 2 TV's need a Genie mini to take advantage of the Genie or can I keep the present receivers? Or should I get a mini and keep the present receivers?

3) If I replace my FR HR-21 with a Genie, will I be able to connect the 4th TV with a wireless Genie mini?

4) How will my monthly bill change?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

There are two possible wireless solution that DIRECTV offers: the C41W GenieMini clients and using a CCK-W to bridge to a GenieMini across an existing Wi-fi LAN. In both cases, you would need to incorporate a Genie into your system. None of the conventional receivers/DVRs can work without at least one RG6 cable.

A third party wireless HD (typically HDMI) solution connected to an existing or new receiver might be an option.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I have been a "loyal" Directv customer for about 15 years. Presently, my system consists of:
FR: HR21-100 100 hr

BR: HR21-200

Kitchen: HR24-500

I would like to add one more TV in a bedroom where there is no easy way to run a cable.

Questions:
1) If I use the Wireless CINEMA Connection Kit on my FR HR-21, will the other 2 TV's be connected to the internet for purposes of on-demand viewing?
2) If I replace my FR HR-21 with a Genie, will the other 2 TV's need a Genie mini to take advantage of the Genie or can I keep the present receivers? Or should I get a mini and keep the present receivers?
3) If I replace my FR HR-21 with a Genie, will I be able to connect the 4th TV with a wireless Genie mini?
4) How will my monthly bill change?

Thanks.

When you say wire, do you mean coax or Internet? You can't get sat signal to your current units wirelessly.

If you want to get signal to a room with no way to run any wires, you need a wireless mini genie which requires a genie in the system somewhere to work. however all other units in the system will still be able to interact with all others, so you will be able to watch any playlist in any room.

Actually, do you have mrv?

Id do one of two things myself.

If you only have three DVrs because of recording space and conflicts and not because of wanting everyone in the house to have their own DVrs and your system currently meets all your dvring needs, then...

I'd replace your two hr21 with a genie and a mini genie then add a wireless genie for the new room. You will lose nothing in terms of abilities and will actually only gain since you can fully control series links and such from a mini for the genie. I'd put the hr24 in the least used room and you would be all set. This would also save you on power.

If you have so many DVrs to give one to each person, then I'd replace one hr21 with a genie and add a genie mini.

Assuming you pay for mrv now, your costs will go up $6 because you are adding one location. That's it. All other costs will stay the same.

You may have a one time cost for the wireless mini, not sure, that's up to you getting a good deal to upgrade.

Either system, your installer will connect it to the Internet and it only needs to be connected at one place for all to get internet connection.

If you need more detail on how that works we can explain it, it has to do with a deca cloud and all the units sharing Ethernet over the same coax that connects them to sat.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

There are two possible wireless solution that DIRECTV offers: the C41W GenieMini clients and using a CCK-W to bridge to a GenieMini across an existing Wi-fi LAN. In both cases, you would need to incorporate a Genie into your system. None of the conventional receivers/DVRs can work without at least one RG6 cable.

A third party wireless HD (typically HDMI) solution connected to an existing or new receiver might be an option.

This is wrong. Directv does not and has never offered a cck-w to use to bridge a mini client, and they never ever will. And I wouldn't ever recommend creating that kind of Frankenstein system on your own to anyone either, it has many shortcomings that don't exist with directv actual solution.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

This is wrong. Directv does not and has never offered a cck-w to use to bridge a mini client, and they never ever will. And I wouldn't ever recommend creating that kind of Frankenstein system on your own to anyone either, it has many shortcomings that don't exist with directv actual solution.

Nonetheless, some have claimed to have successfully implemented just such a system.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   fbutera

fbutera

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

When you say wire, do you mean coax or Internet? You can't get sat signal to your current units wirelessly.

Actually, do you have mrv?

I can get neither coax or ethernet wire to the room where I want to add another TV

Sorry, I don't know what MRV is.

Here is my bill (aside from programming fees):

$10/mo HD

$10/mo Advanced Receiver

Additional TV’s: $6.45 x 3 = $19.35 (includes tax - the 4th TV here is in our motorhome, and so won't change)

​Sounds like the Genie, 2 minis and one wireless mini is the way to go. My wife is reluctant to give up "her" DVR (BR) as she is afraid I will delete shows on the main one before she has watched it, plus she has a big backlog of recordings on the HR21-200. Is it possible to add the mini genie and keep the DVR there?

Thans for all the great info and advice.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Nonetheless, some have claimed to have successfully implemented just such a system.

Yeah me being one of them. And again it's not something anyone should ever even consider doing now that there is a proper solution that will work far far better.

And you implied directv would do this for them. That's just completely wrong.

Find a non directv thread to spew bad and misguided advice.

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

I can get neither coax or ethernet wire to the room where I want to add another TV

$10/mo HD

$10/mo Advanced Receiver

Additional TV’s: $6.45 x 3 = $19.35 (includes tax - the 4th TV here is in our motorhome, and so won't change)

​Sounds like the Genie, 2 minis and one wireless mini is the way to go. My wife is reluctant to give up "her" DVR (BR) as she is afraid I will delete shows on the main one before she has watched it, plus she has a big backlog of recordings on the HR21-200. Is it possible to add the mini genie and keep the DVR there?

Keep the HR21. Get the Genie, 1 wired mini and one wireless. This will let you keep the recordings.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

$10/mo HD

$10/mo Advanced Receiver

​Sounds like the Genie, 2 minis and one wireless mini is the way to go. My wife is reluctant to give up "her" DVR (BR) as she is afraid I will delete shows on the main one before she has watched it, plus she has a big backlog of recordings on the HR21-200. Is it possible to add the mini genie and keep the DVR there?

Ok wait. You have four receiver now then? But one you didn't mention because it's in the motor home with its own dish?

Mrv is whole home service which allows you to watch anything recorded on any TV in the system. You will see your bill go up $3 when you activate the genie and that will also give you while home.

And since you are also adding a TV at $6 a month your total should go up by $9 a month for this change.

I always revert to happy wife equals happy life. So.... I'd spend. Little extra for a couple months to make her happy.

Here's what I would end up with if i where you. a genie at the main TV. A wireless genie mini at the tv that can't have cables run. A genie mini in the bedroom. Then I'd keep the hr24 for the kitchen.

Here's how Id make the wife happy... I'd immediate stop recording if you can on the hr21s and start watching down all their content. I'd clear off one of the hr21 immediately and then setup the install. I'd have the hr21 replaced by the genie. Then I'd keep the other hr21 active while having the genie mini installed next to it till the DVr was cleared of recordings ten Id simply call and deactivate it hen it was cleared. It'll cost you an extra $6 a month to keep it active at the same time while she watches her shows but I revert to happy wife happy life. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

And you implied directv would do this for them. That's just completely wrong.

I stated that DIRECTV offers two wireless solutions, nothing was expressed or implied about either being recommended or commonly deployed.

You made it clear that it is horrible and ugly, and then admitted that it is a solution that you once employed. Which of us hasn't got their story straight?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

I stated that DIRECTV offers two wireless solutions, 

This is INCORRECT.  DirecTV® only offers ONE wireless solution, that is their wireless Genie mini.  There are no other solution for wireless offered by DirecTV®.  Any other "jury-rigged" solution that you may want to come up is not supported by DirecTV® 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

$10/mo HD

$10/mo Advanced Receiver

So you want the wireless client on the RV?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

I stated that DIRECTV offers two wireless solutions, nothing was expressed or implied about either being recommended or commonly deployed.

You made it clear that it is horrible and ugly, and then admitted that it is a solution that you once employed. Which of us hasn't got their story straight?

What's funny is you're wrong and you keep repeating what you're wrong about. And then you're saying that that makes you right. DirecTV only offers and has only ever offered one solution for wireless. That is a wireless many Genie client. They have never offered two wireless solutions ever.

I said on my own I played around to see if I could make something work. That's not the same thing as me saying directv supplied me with something to try. it's also not the same thing as me saying DirecTV offered another solution because they didn't.

I have no story I only have facts. You seem to be the one creating stories since your statements are incorrect.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

Keep the HR21. Get the Genie, 1 wired mini and one wireless. This will let you keep the recordings.

I can't think of one reason to keep the HR21 over an HR24. No deca built in, slower old... Etc...

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

I can't think of one reason to keep the HR21 over an HR24. No deca built in, slower old... Etc...

Right on!  Not even to save wanted unwatched recordings 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   fbutera

fbutera

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

OK. Thanks. To summarize:
The RV has its own satellite, is only used when traveling away from home, and so will stay the same as now with an independent DVR.
I'll replace the FR HR21 with the Genie. I'll get a wired mini for the kitchen (replaces HR24). I'll get a wired mini for BR though I may keep the HR21 there also until my wife watches all her stored recordings. I will get a wireless mini for the den where I presently have no Directv because of lack of wiring. And, I'm not interested in any unsupported Frankenstein solutions!

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Why not keep the HR24? Post pone the upgrade for a few days, watch down the HR21, record on the HR24 from now on, and keep that DVR.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   fbutera

fbutera

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'll see if my wife will go for keeping the HR 24.

#19 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

You do realize the only thing a Genie mini can do that a HR24 cannot is schedule a recording on the Genie?  All devices - Genie, mini, and HR24 will be able to see all recordings recorded on either the Genie or the HR24 and there is no difference in monthly cost. 

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'd never keep the HR21 over the HR24. Never. It's a cludge by comparison. And the installer wouldn't even want you to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, wireless, Wireless CINEMA Connection

Protected By... spam firewall...And...