Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

who controls opening up the channels after a blackout?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

trying to watch daily news live right now on SNY and it's blacked out because there was a mets replay on before it...and they still haven't opened the feed back up.  what gives?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Don't trust the guide data 100% on gamedays, including replays. If the game went long (last night's Mets game clocked in at 3 hours, 12 minutes), the replay may run long as well unless they edit it. The guide does not tell you what is truly on, only what is scheduled to be on.

Oh, and who throws the switch. Well, DirecTV has these guys that used to work at Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. They abide by the broadcasters rules. Sing cool little ditties while doing so, as well.

Edited by tonyd79, 06 August 2014 - 03:15 PM.

• mhking likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Don't trust the guide data 100% on gamedays, including replays. If the game went long (last night's Mets game clocked in at 3 hours, 12 minutes), the replay may run long as well unless they edit it. The guide does not tell you what is truly on, only what is scheduled to be on.

Oh, and who throws the switch. Well, DirecTV has these guys that used to work at Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. They abide by the broadcasters rules. Sing cool little ditties while doing so, as well.

fair enough, although i've never seen a replay run long...at least on SNY.  they usually cut most of the game out, not just enough to fit it into 3 hours...the wilpons need more commercial time to sell to make all the money they can.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

fair enough, although i've never seen a replay run long...at least on SNY.  they usually cut most of the game out, not just enough to fit it into 3 hours...the wilpons need more commercial time to sell to make all the money they can.

Maybe. Just offering a possibility. Those silly Oompa Loompas do make mistakes at times.
  • matty8199 and boukengreen like this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#5 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have noticed this also. I am paying for the Sports Pack & noticed that sometimes local sports shows are blacked out. Why am I paying for Sports Pack if they are going to black out shows that are not actual LIVE Games? They should not be blacked out at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

The damn FCC needs to end all blackouts. This is 2014 for Cryin’ Out Loud!

• mhking likes this

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

I have noticed this also. I am paying for the Sports Pack & noticed that sometimes local sports shows are blacked out. Why am I paying for Sports Pack if they are going to black out shows that are not actual LIVE Games? They should not be blacked out at all.

Same reason superstations died. Copyrights. Out of market stations cannot show copyrighted material that any local outlet has the rights to without their permission.

This is not a sports only issue. And it is not going to change from that perspective.

#8 OFFLINE   desalvsj

desalvsj

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

FCC tried to end them and the NFL just laughed.

Steve

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

Same reason superstations died. Copyrights. Out of market stations cannot show copyrighted material that any local outlet has the rights to without their permission.

This is not a sports only issue. And it is not going to change from that perspective.

Canada still has WGN 9 and on most systems they don't black out the NHL games even when it head to head with local and national exclusivity games.  As well other local area stuff. Even TV shows that Netflix has exclusively for Canada,

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 07 August 2014 - 10:25 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#10 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Canada is a different country with their own set of laws when it comes to rights issues. Unlike the US rules where a program can be blacked out even if the local station isn't airing it until 3 in the morning, in Canada instead of blackouts they do something called simsub where the foreign channel will be replaced with the Canadian network's broadcast with the requirements that it must be the same production and it must be airing at the same time. So if the Blackhawks produced game on WGN is airing at the same time as a SportsNet produced broadcast of the game it can be shown, but if SportsNet or one of their sister stations pick up the Blackhawks feed, then it would be replaced on WGN so when people turn on WGN they'll see the ads and promos of the Canadian broadcaster. It wasn't that common before, but with the new NHL and Rogers contract this fall there will be nights where they'll go all out and have games airing at the same time on SportsNet, SportsNet 1, SportsNet 360, CBC, City and FX Canada with every non-Canadian game being imported from a US channel. As for the RSN scene in Canada, the only time they have actual out of market blackouts is for local NHL games on SportsNet, TSN Habs, TSN Jets and TSN Sens, after the short lived Vancouver Grizllies left for Memphis and the Expos left for DC, all Blue Jays and Raptors games are available nationally.

What's really interesting is how screwy the rights are though. TSN has the rights to ESPN's MLB games, but they don't have the exclusive window like we have here so SportsNet, who has first dibs on MLB in Canada can air games head to head with it on their channels. There are times where TSN is showing the ESPN game and SportsNet will air the exact same game using the local RSN's feed.

Edited by KyL416, 07 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

bell has never simsubed a blackhawks telecast on wgn. 

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Canada is a different country with their own set of laws when it comes to rights issues. .

Exactly. Obviously, laws can be changed, but copyright law is what it is in the U.S. Other countries have different laws. Bringing them in as examples is not valuable to the topic other than talking about "right" and "wrong." I was speaking legally. The FCC cannot bring an end to copyright based blackouts; they would be violating law.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...