Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade Receivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

All,

Can anyone tell me what the current versions are of the HD DVR? I know the "Genie" is at HR44, but what are the "stand alone" DVRs at now?

I have two HR22s and an HR24, along with the HR34, that are all behaving very badly and I'm thinking it's time to "upgrade" them with the replacement plan I've been paying for the whole time I've had DTV.

I have that many units because we record a lot of shows (don't ask - mostly crap the wife watches) and like to have them split up between boxes.

Last, can anyone tell me if DTV is allowing multiple Genie installs now? When I got my HR34, they were only allowing one per house - if I could just get all HR44s that would be even better!

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

HR24.

No, still only 1 Genie per account.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Since you already have an HR34, I don't think there is a free upgrade in your immediate future, unless you just add receivers.

Edited by Gordon Shumway, 07 August 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

HR24.

No, still only 1 Genie per account.

Thank you.

Since you already have an HR34, I don't think there is a free upgrade in your immediate future, unless you just add receivers.

I'm not "upgrading" perse - I'm using the plan I'm paying $8 a month for to get better equipment.

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

In what way are they "all behaving badly"? Much more likely to be a problem with your installation than with the receivers....

#6 OFFLINE   thetoad30

thetoad30

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

In what way are they "all behaving badly"? Much more likely to be a problem with your installation than with the receivers....

One HR22 flat out rebooted itself and then said it had errors on it that it was trying to fix. I imagine the hard drive is dying.

The other HR22 is just so slow it barely responds. They're just showing their age (got them in 2008).

The HR24 is also slow, and spotty with recognizing remote presses. I found the "clearmybox" keyword, so I'll try that tonight to see if it helps at all.

The HR34 is doing everything that I've seen people online complaining about - slow responses, pixelated video, and recently it's been hard to FF or RR. Sometimes the counter moves but the picture doesn't. Sometimes when that happens it does RR or FF, but sometimes it doesn't. The other thing it's doing lately is that when it is off overnight and the TV is turned back on, we have no buffer. It just starts up as if we're watching live TV and the buffer never existed.

Another thing that happens is that the MRV has begun dropping clients randomly. I've never had that happen before.

Setup is great - at least it worked back when I moved into the home. New home, new RG6 quad throughout. So I know the home hardware is fine. The fact that this stuff has just started happening leads me to believe that the hardware is finally crapping out. Oh, and they're all on UPSs, so power glitches should be very minimized. We've also had only one power problem in nearly two years and that was two weeks ago.

#7 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thank you.

I'm not "upgrading" perse - I'm using the plan I'm paying $8 a month for to get better equipment.

My only point was the PP won't get you "better" equipment, only upgrades.  Not saying you can't negotiate better equipment, but it won't qualify as an upgrade under the PP.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Upgrade is upgrade in class, though that's debatable. I think they consider going fron an H2x to a Genie client is an upgrade, not everyone agrees. I personally think it depends :)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,000 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Right the PP will get you something different not something better.  It may get you an extra HDDVR, (it could be an HR23, HR24) or even a client (wired, wireless) etc

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...