Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Equipment Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

First, thank you guys very much for any help you provide.  This is a wonderful site.  

Second, I currently have two HR22's and D12.  Directv called and offered to upgrade my equipment.  They will upgrade one of my HR22's to a Genie and the D12 to a wireless Genie client for free.  I am choosing to keep the second HR22 for extra recording space.  I thought about adding a second Wireless client but to a seldom used TV and they will do that for free (equipment) however they say there will be a $10 per month fee for the extra tv.  Does that sound right? I thought it was only $5 per tv per month. They claim my monthly price will not go up if I keep the same amount of receivers.  

The rep said I could watch live TV on my PS3 for free and this would avoid paying the xtra $10 per month.  Can anyone think of a reason to pay $10 a month for an extra receiver when I can do it free on the PS3?  The extra tv is only used a couple of times a year but it would be used to watch new like CNN and Fox News.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Do you already have Whole Home where your HR22s can see each others play list?

There is no way of avoiding the additional TV fee, even with a TV that has RVU. But you're right, it's not $10.

#3 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

I do have the whole home DVR currently but I used my own equipment with help from this site.  He said it was $10 because of a DVR fee?  Don't you only pay 1 dvr fee?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, DVR is per account, like HD. Even though it's the unsupported version, you're paying the Whole Home fee, which is what I wanted to be sure since the Genie requires it.

#5 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Do you have any ideas on the Playstation 3 option? Can I really watch live TV for free with it?

#6 OFFLINE   jerseynewyorker

jerseynewyorker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Keep in mind that if you accept the free upgrade offer, they will require you to extend your contract with them for either 12 or 24 months.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

It's two years for an Advanced receiver, which is basically anything thats not a D12.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Do you have any ideas on the Playstation 3 option? Can I really watch live TV for free with it?

No, no TV watching on PS3 or PS4 for that matter. Only DirecTV® receivers (or clients) or RVU TVs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

I thought it was only $5 per tv per month. They claim my monthly price will not go up if I keep the same amount of receivers.  

Is actually $6.00 a month for every TV currently 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ok, so the PS3 info was not true.  Thanks for letting me know that and the monthly charge is $6 a month.  

One of the C41W's will connect to a standard def tv (to be upgraded later).  I see you can get a 10 pin to rca connector.  Would the installer carry this cable with him?

Also, what frequency does the Directv wireless use?  Will this interfere with my router?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

One of the C41W's will connect to a standard def tv (to be upgraded later).  I see you can get a 10 pin to rca connector.  Would the installer carry this cable with him?

Yes

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Also, what frequency does the Directv wireless use?  Will this interfere with my router?

No interference with your router if you keep the Wireless Video Bridge, client and router at least 4-5ft part of each other 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the quick replies everyone, I really do appreciate it.  I told the guy to call back tomorrow so I could gather more info before committing to another 2 years.

How do the wireless units function in the real world?  I already have a cable run to one tv but liked the idea of wireless because it was more flexible incase I wanted to move the box to a different room later.  Will I get the same performance wireless as I could a cable connected client?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

How do the wireless units function in the real world?  I already have a cable run to one tv but liked the idea of wireless because it was more flexible incase I wanted to move the box to a different room later.  Will I get the same performance wireless as I could a cable connected client?

They seems to behave nicely with a "hiccup" perhaps here and there, depending on Wireless Video Bridge placement.  I prefer wired over wireless tho

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   zdman

zdman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I just got upgraded equipment from Directv for free. Here is some background and what I accomplished with a simple phone call.

I have been a subscriber for about 4 years and have two HR24's and one H24. I was originally looking at switching to dish since I was not sure if Directv was going to get SEC network. Once Directv announced the SEC, I set out to get an equipment upgrade.

I called the 800 number and at the prompt said cancel my service. I got a nice rep that asked me why I was canceling and I said 1) I was going to move to Dish to get their new hopper receiver with the sling box thing and 2) I wanted NFL Red zone and I knew that Dish had that.  Here is what they offered (of course I had to sign a 2 year agreement):

1. Free Genie. I asked for the latest HR 44 and she said it would be - not sure I believe her. I will check before install starts.

2. The genie will replace my H24 so I will end up moving one HR24 to the bedroom, leave the other where it is now, and install the genie on the main tv.

3. Free Genie Go2. Again, i requested the latest and she said no problem but I will check before install starts.

4. Free install of the above.

5. Free NFL Red Zone - I did not know this could be done, but apparently it can. I did not want to pay for the entire NFL package, but I suspect I could have gotten a deal on it had I wanted.

6. Since I am replacing the h24 with the genie, there is no monthly cost increase and I now have so many tuners that recording will never be an issue.

I suspect I could have pushed and got more, but I was happy with the 2 year commitment and not having to pay for the hardware. I am not sure if I would have gotten the same offer or not had I not gone through the cancellation menu. Hard to say, but they were nice and wanted to keep me as a customer. That is more than I can say for Dish. I had them for many years and tried to get a free hardware upgrade before switching to Directv....they refused. Funny, after I cancelled, the began calling me and  making offers and wanting me to switch back, but it was too late. I was really happy with Directv doing what it took to keep me as a customer. By the way, I get the Xtra package, HBO and Showtime.

I hope this helps you (or someone else)

#16 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

1. Free Genie. I asked for the latest HR 44 and she said it would be - not sure I believe her. I will check before install starts.

2. The genie will replace my H24 so I will end up moving one HR24 to the bedroom, leave the other where it is now, and install the genie on the main tv.

3. Free Genie Go2. Again, i requested the latest and she said no problem but I will check before install starts.

4. Free install of the above.

5. Free NFL Red Zone - I did not know this could be done, but apparently it can. I did not want to pay for the entire NFL package, but I suspect I could have gotten a deal on it had I wanted.

6. Since I am replacing the h24 with the genie, there is no monthly cost increase and I now have so many tuners that recording will never be an issue.

Crap, I knew I should have held out for a Genie2Go.  

Ok well yesterday the installer arrives and installs a HR44/500 and two wireless clients replacing one of my HR22's.  First impressions, this thing is FAST!.  Even the wireless clients are quick though I do see small video pauses during fast forward or 30 second slip on the clients.  Searching through Premium channel On Demand is actually usable now.  Before I could almost fall sleep before the next page loaded.  

The boxes are small and MRV still works between my HR22, HR44.and clients.  I was told it wouldn't at one point.  The RC72 remotes may take a little getting used to.  I like the rocker switch for the volume and channel but I also miss the other remote sometimes.  I haven't yet had a chance to use the Genie Recommends.  I assume that records suggestions much like TIVO?

Also I had more rain fade on my HD channels than I would like.  The tech swapped out my LNB and tweeked the dish.  I went from signals ranging in the mid 70's - low 80's to high 80's - mid 90's.  As of this moment I'm pretty happy with things and the wireless clients are nice.  I don't have cable run unstairs and wasn't looking forward to drilling through the walls.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...