I just got upgraded equipment from Directv for free. Here is some background and what I accomplished with a simple phone call.
I have been a subscriber for about 4 years and have two HR24's and one H24. I was originally looking at switching to dish since I was not sure if Directv was going to get SEC network. Once Directv announced the SEC, I set out to get an equipment upgrade.
I called the 800 number and at the prompt said cancel my service. I got a nice rep that asked me why I was canceling and I said 1) I was going to move to Dish to get their new hopper receiver with the sling box thing and 2) I wanted NFL Red zone and I knew that Dish had that. Here is what they offered (of course I had to sign a 2 year agreement):
1. Free Genie. I asked for the latest HR 44 and she said it would be - not sure I believe her. I will check before install starts.
2. The genie will replace my H24 so I will end up moving one HR24 to the bedroom, leave the other where it is now, and install the genie on the main tv.
3. Free Genie Go2. Again, i requested the latest and she said no problem but I will check before install starts.
4. Free install of the above.
5. Free NFL Red Zone - I did not know this could be done, but apparently it can. I did not want to pay for the entire NFL package, but I suspect I could have gotten a deal on it had I wanted.
6. Since I am replacing the h24 with the genie, there is no monthly cost increase and I now have so many tuners that recording will never be an issue.
I suspect I could have pushed and got more, but I was happy with the 2 year commitment and not having to pay for the hardware. I am not sure if I would have gotten the same offer or not had I not gone through the cancellation menu. Hard to say, but they were nice and wanted to keep me as a customer. That is more than I can say for Dish. I had them for many years and tried to get a free hardware upgrade before switching to Directv....they refused. Funny, after I cancelled, the began calling me and making offers and wanting me to switch back, but it was too late. I was really happy with Directv doing what it took to keep me as a customer. By the way, I get the Xtra package, HBO and Showtime.
I hope this helps you (or someone else)