Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why your brand-new plane doesn't have a seat-back TV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Why your brand-new plane doesn't have a seat-back TV

(Engadget.com) - The aircraft, a 737-900 with Boeing's Sky Interior (a Dreamliner-esque recessed ceiling lit with blue LEDs), had only been flying for a few weeks. It looked new, and it even had that "new plane smell" most passengers would only associate with a factory-fresh auto. But despite the plane's clean and bright appearance, the family only noticed the glaring absence of seat-back screens. To them, our 737 might as well have rolled off the assembly line in 1984....

737sky.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Whew! I thought you were talking about my personal 12 seater jet plane on order......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

:eek:

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#4 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

I prefer to read on a airplane trip. I would not have notice.

#5 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Sleep is an option, too.
I guess I can understand the frustration on a 6 hour flight (as mentioned in the article), but I wouldn't be worried about most domestic flights. Also, they will be rolling out the streaming service for personal devices, so it doesn't seem like that much of an issue to me.
It saves the airline $ on the infrastructure of wiring all the seats, and trying to keep them working. It might even lead to a little more legroom by elimanting the distribution boxes under the seats. I skimmed the article, so I don't know if they covered that aspect.
I can sympathize with parents who might want something to distract the kids for a while. It seems like most people have either a phone or tablet that is capable of doing the trick though.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Our iPads loaded from GenieGo worked great on our trip to Belize in June. 

As fast as the technology is changing, the airline could probably rent tablets far cheaper than installing on every seatback.  Remember the phone handsets?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

As fast as the technology is changing, the airline could probably rent tablets far cheaper than installing on every seatback.  Remember the phone handsets?

Was that the sound of the cash register I just heard? :)

#8 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

That image in the first post cracks me up.  I was on a flight in the last few weeks in a very similar plane.  My iPad was my entertainment.  What I found so silly was the usage of the drop down screens which this particular airline (rhymes Schmerican) used for announcements and safety features.  Preloaded videos were fine, here are the exits, how to put on the seatbelt, if cabin loses pressure, etc, etc.  Same drill, many airlines do it.  However, in the middle of the flight with the screens in the closed (not dropped down) position, we hit some turbulance.  The fasten seat belt sign comes on and normally one of the flight attendants would get on the horn and remind passengers to get to their seats, buckle up for safety, etc.  Perhaps even the pilot would do this.  Nope, not on this flight.  Instead, the fasten seat belt sign goes off, then after about 10 seconds, the deployment of the screens come down, a video pops up that lasts probably 3 seconds "Please Fasten Your Seat Belts".  Video screens then go back into closed position.  The amount of time, energy, etc to have this be your system to warn people to put on their seat belts was a head shaker for me.  Completely inefficient.  I must be getting old.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Nah. Just wise..... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yes I do. I used to repair them, in the late 80's, when Airfone was alive. Now my son does QA for Gogo.

Edited by alnielsen, 11 August 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I don't watch anything on those overhead screens, but I do like the seat-back screens that Virgin America features. And reading a book on an iPod Touch works well in the cramped coach section of most airlines.

Unfortunately VA is eliminating their non-stop flights from LA to Philadelphia in a month or so, so it's unlikely that I will be flying with them again.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

I just flew on a brand-spanking new 787 Dreamliner on Norwegian Airlines from Bergen, Norway to JFK.  The seatback systems were installed and everyone's worked just fine.

Except mine.  Even after multiple resets by the flight attendants.

280+ people on the plane and, apparently, mine was the only one that didn't work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...