Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can you access Directv DVR content on a disconnected device with a different Access Card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   guest1

guest1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

If someone has a deactivated owned directv DVR  which you can still access and play the content, but needs to return the access card shortly can they continue to view content that is saved on it.

Is there anyway to view content by buying an old or defunct access card and putting it in?

I'm basically asking first is the permission to view content tied to the DVR or the Access Card.

Also whether putting in an OLD access card will allow you to access the content.  

And lastly if the OLD access card turns the receiver on, will it reset the dvr and will I lose all the content.

Edited by guest1, 08 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

No.

On the last question, the content won't be lost, you simply can't access it without the DVR having an active access card in it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

You don't specify your DVR model, so assuming it is DirecTV branded (R15 or R16 for SD DVRs or HR2x series for HD DVRs), the recordings on the DVR are encrypted and tied to the access card. I'm pretty sure that is also true of the older R10 Tivo based DVR. You cannot play them without the specific access card that was used when they were recorded. Also, be aware that a DVR requires periodic "refresh" from DirecTV (via satellite), and once it does not get that, you will also not be able to view old recordings, regardless of access card.  The time period seems to vary somewhat widely as to how long this might take.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

You don't specify your DVR model, so assuming it is DirecTV branded (R15 or R16 for SD DVRs or HR2x series for HD DVRs), the recordings on the DVR are encrypted and tied to the access card.

If that were the case, everyone's recordings would disappear on a card change.  Are you sure it isn't tied to the RID number?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Please cite any example of a DirecTV subscriber having to change an access card on a DVR they have that remains in service. While it might have happened it is extremely rare. I'm not even sure DirecTV would do that (they would probably just change out the entire DVR).

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Please cite any example of a DirecTV subscriber having to change an access card on a DVR they have that remains in service. While it might have happened it is extremely rare. I'm not even sure DirecTV would do that (they would probably just change out the entire DVR).

I hate doing this, but I have to agree with harsh on this one. ugggh.  A few times DirecTV® had sent access card to customers when they call in with access card issues.  Most of the times it turns out is the reader in the DVR, but the few times I have swapped access cards (sent by DirecTV®), the recordings are still intact.  So the recordings must be tied to the RID.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

Okay, learned something new. Thanks.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   wjm

wjm

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

I have a Genie HD system at home and I have added a R16-300 standard definiton DVR to my account for my RV. I use the R16 at home in the RV without any problems. We are on our first long road trip since switching to Direct. I lost the Local Networks when we got about 400 miles away from San Diego. ( I foolishly thought Direct would switch our network access.) I am not happy but can live with it and use OTA.

We had Direct TV access (and DVR access) as recently as 24-48 hrs ago. We are now parked in the pines and can not get satellite access. I thought we would still be able to view our DVR recordings, WRONG. I can see the programs in the guide but cannot view them. Can I access my DVR without having a satelitte signal?

Sorry if I got off topic. I have answered many of my questions on this forum. Thanks for all your expertise.

Bill

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to the forum! 

Sorry for your problem, but there is a wide range of answers for whether you can access the recordings. It seems for the newer units, such as yours, you have to have had satellite access within x hours. Somewhere between the 24 and 48 hours you've been out, apparently.  

I'd try futzing with the List and ignore the pop up dialogs that may happen.

Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I have a Genie HD system at home and I have added a R16-300 standard definiton DVR to my account for my RV. I use the R16 at home in the RV without any problems. We are on our first long road trip since switching to Direct. I lost the Local Networks when we got about 400 miles away from San Diego. ( I foolishly thought Direct would switch our network access.) I am not happy but can live with it and use OTA.

We had Direct TV access (and DVR access) as recently as 24-48 hrs ago. We are now parked in the pines and can not get satellite access. I thought we would still be able to view our DVR recordings, WRONG. I can see the programs in the guide but cannot view them. Can I access my DVR without having a satelitte signal?

Sorry if I got off topic. I have answered many of my questions on this forum. Thanks for all your expertise.

Bill

No need to get frustrated over this, as none of those “features” are advertised by DirecTV®.  No reason to expect a DVR to work in a manner that is not advertised.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

No need to get frustrated over this, as none of those “features” are advertised by DirecTV®.  No reason to expect a DVR to work in a manner that is not advertised.

What's not advertised about a DVR playing its recordings?

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

peds48 is saying that you shouldn't expect a dvr to work when it's been deactivated, but you already knew that, didn't you?

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Read, read my fellow basset, read, read.  don’t just jump in in the pool fully dressed.  

I pretty sure your Dish Network DVRs are made to work once deactivated and disconnected from the sat.  NOT!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   guest1

guest1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Bill

Not sure, but if you disconnected the coax/telephone wire before you moved it to the RV, try to turn it on, then go to menu once it sees that you are not connected to the cable.  Then I was able to play.  Ii could not see it if I clicked on the List button. The key is that my box had been disconnected several days before I actually cancelled service.

Had read online somewhere  that was the only way you could access is because the card didn't tell it to lock down.  I can access the recorded stuff with the original card, and so am not to worried just yet.  

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Read, read my fellow basset, read, read.  don’t just jump in in the pool fully dressed.

I did read what you posted and agree with the idea that a deactivated DVR will be close to bricked, but I strongly disagree that DIRECTV's advertising, terms or product information would lead you to understand that the DVR won't work if it isn't active.

We've probably all seen someone howling because they're owned DVR and OTA dongle stopped working upon deactivation when they had convinced themselves, absent documentation to the contrary, that ongoing use was possible.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

but I strongly disagree that DIRECTV's advertising, terms or product information would lead you to understand that the DVR won't work if it isn't active.

Would you expect your cellphone to work if deactivated? Or your Credit Card? or your internet service?  Why would you expect different with DirecTV® 

Again

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...