Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV asleep at the controls with ExInn (yet again)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

If I started a new topic every time DirecTV's 'programmers' screwed the pooch with ExInn (and 'scoreguide 2') I'd fill this area up.

But last night, the RedSox and Angles game went to 19 innings, and right at Midnight Pacific Time (where the game was being played in Anaheim) the feed(s) on DirecTV got 'yanked'.

Interestingly, the 'mix' channel stayed up, so if one wanted to watch the end of the game on a little postage stamp I guess they could.  Luckily, with the addition of MLB.tv this year (and having a 'smart' TV I set up at the beginning of the season) I was able to switch to it and continue watching the game without eyestrain.

This was about the 14th inning or thereabouts, and as the game continued I kept switching back to the DirecTV feed to see if either the NESN or Fox feed ever returned, but I don't think they ever did, but I may have been mistaken.

This has happend several times this season on games that go 'long'.  The group of folks who run this in DirecTV apparently need a new supervisor, along with the folks who came up with the disaster known as 'Scoreguide 2'. which stops working/updating at random on any given game day. 

Edited by 1948GG, 10 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Is this on EI channels?,  does it show the game on RSN's themselves?  What does it showed blackouts,Directv screen etc?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

I had to think for a moment until I realized that the TS meant EI (Extra Innings) as I have never seen it referenced as ExInn.

Anyway, it seems that DirecTV needs to hire someone to monitor the games instead of relying on timers for the games.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

I thought they did it like ST have it scheduled for 6 hours or more and when it's finished cut it off.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

How did they do with Nats/Braves that started at 11pm eastern then went 11 innings? I had the game but it is local to me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Right now, Detroit and Toronto into the 19th inning. 6 hours and 27 minutes and couting. The EI block goes for 8 hours in the guide.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

What is wrong with these people?  Someone in their broadcast center, preferable someone high, needs to be fired.

Right at 1630, they cut all the feeds for the PGA, when everybody knows they started at least 2.5 hours late due to the heavy rain.  Give me a break, a 3rd grader could have seen this comming, but apparently not the lamo folks at DirecTV!

• wilbur_the_goose and evilquik like this

#8 OFFLINE   evilquik

evilquik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Yah I couldn't believe that crap today with the PGA Championship. I was enjoying the Mix channel and they terminated it at 4:30 pacific time just like you said 1948GG

Edited by evilquik, 10 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

At least they didn't wack the Tigers game again (went to 19 innings, just like last night, and the Jays won once again!!),

But the total time was probably a bit less so didn't run up against their 'pre programmed' cuttoff.

About 4 or so minutes later, they turned at least the 'mix' PGA channel back up, but by that time I'd flopped over to the local CBS feed. 

Now, I think back to when I was a 'duffer' doing broadcast station master control duties (Yikes! 1972-3) with my 1st Class ticket in my hot hands, I would have been fired on the spot for this level of stupidity.  And this at a station so small you could almost spread your arms out and touch both walls of the control center.

Edited by 1948GG, 11 August 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

And they turn off the MLBEI / NHLCI feeds the second the game ends.  There is obviously SOMEBODY watching the games and turning the switch off.  So why can't these fools leave the games WE PAY FOR up.

Is D* trying to drive customers away?  Geez...  

DirecTV customer since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Now, I think back to when I was a 'duffer' doing broadcast station master control duties (Yikes! 1972-3) with my 1st Class ticket in my hot hands, I would have been fired on the spot for this level of stupidity.  And this at a station so small you could almost spread your arms out and touch both walls of the control center.

I used to work TV master control too and high standards are out the window.  Automation is king and nobody cares about quality anymore.  On my local ABC affiliate, every single local break has at least one commercial misformatted (stretched, cropped, etc.).  If ABC's schedule runs past the regular end time, they still start their local news right on time, clipping the show because they aren't paying attention.  Many master controls are gone now as one hub station will be responsible for the airing of several other areas, never mind subchannels. 

And then there was the time I watched Avatar in the theater, the movie started late for some reason.  With 15 minutes left in the movie, all of a sudden the ads came on that usually run in between movies.  Totally destroyed the mood of the movie, it is absolutely disgusting how companies don't want to hire enough people to pay attention anymore and rely on automation for everything. 

#12 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Don't you hate that,  when the games get interested beyond the 9th inning or a crucial base hit happens,  past the cut off time Then all of a sudden Directv logo screen  :flaiming 

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#13 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

I used to work TV master control too and high standards are out the window.  Automation is king and nobody cares about quality anymore.  On my local ABC affiliate, every single local break has at least one commercial misformatted (stretched, cropped, etc.).  If ABC's schedule runs past the regular end time, they still start their local news right on time, clipping the show because they aren't paying attention.  Many master controls are gone now as one hub station will be responsible for the airing of several other areas, never mind subchannels. 

And then there was the time I watched Avatar in the theater, the movie started late for some reason.  With 15 minutes left in the movie, all of a sudden the ads came on that usually run in between movies.  Totally destroyed the mood of the movie, it is absolutely disgusting how companies don't want to hire enough people to pay attention anymore and rely on automation for everything. 

With all due respect, i see as many if not more errors when humans were at the control.

How many times did Human's forget to hit the switch to go back to HD after the commercial breaks in the 1999-2009 era?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...