Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

On Demand download loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

I’ve been running into problems with download on demand content for some time and would like to finally get this fixed. I have scoured some of the older posts but none of the suggestions have solved my situation.

My configuration recently changed as I’ve added an HR44 and MRV to the system in place of my HR20 which did recently. Both of these configuration encounter the error message that states there’s been an error but D* will try to continue. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it would appear to finish the download only to delete it and start it over.

Configuration #1 (original – no WHDVR)

HR20 – direct wired Ethernet (HR20 -> switch -> router -> DSL Modem)
HR21 – direct wired Ethernet (HR21 -> switch -> router -> DSL Modem)

The above would work sometimes but fail others. It seemed like it was also dependent on the channel as some content would download w/o problems while others would do the download/delete/repeat loop. The HR21 also encounters problems from time to time based on what my wife says.

Configuration #2 (current – WHDVR)

HR44 – direct wired Ethernet – (HR44 -> switch -> router -> DSL Modem)
C41W
HR21 – DECA

I’ve tried downloading since the installation and encounter the same problems as previously. I’ve also changed the HR44 so it’s wired directly to the router instead of going through the switch and encountered the download/delete loop this morning so that theory went out the window.

The system has been wired with a SWM8 for both configurations with the only difference being the original config had the 2 outputs going to the separate HR20/HR21 as standalone devices. In the current config the one output from the SWM goes into a 1x4 splitter to feed the 3 devices that need signal. All of the devices have good signal and the internet quality throughout the house seems fine as well so I’m at a loss at this point but would like to get it resolved once and for all.

The router is a D-Link 655 and I don’t recall what version of Westell DSL modem it is but it’s working just as a bridge and was installed back in 2007.

ETA: Both devices have static IPs that are outside the range of the DHCP address block.

Edited by Tom M, 12 August 2014 - 08:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Try unplugging the HR21 from the AC power then try to download VOD from the HR44.  Post back the results. 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

Did the test this morning and there's no change. The Genie finished the download and the started again.

Don't know if it's the specific show or not but it's Rogue S2E1.

Edited by Tom M, 14 August 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

How fast is your DSL connection? Have you experienced any Caller ID problems on the HR44? Do you have a DSL filter on the phone line, if it is connected to the HR44?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

How fast is your DSL connection? Have you experienced any Caller ID problems on the HR44? Do you have a DSL filter on the phone line, if it is connected to the HR44?

Why would caller ID cause VOD download loops?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

I am far enough from the CO that it's only 3Mb/s and since I don't connect the phone line I don't have any caller ID problems. As for the filter, yes, I have a whole house DSL filter on the network distribution panel.

Edited by Tom M, 15 August 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

If anybody has any other ideas I'm open to suggestions as I'd really like to resolve this since it makes VOD more or less useless.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...