Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Directv remove old dish when installing new service?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psjr520

psjr520

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I had Directv from 2004-2007 before swtiching to cable. Now I'm considering switching back to Directv after my cable bill went up again.  I still have the old dish on top of my house, and I assume they would need to install a new dish (I didn't have HD the last time I was with them).  Will Directv installers be willing to remove the old dish and put the new dish in its place, or will I either have to remove the old dish myself and patch the holes or have 2 dishes on my house?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,816 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

I had Directv from 2004-2007 before swtiching to cable. Now I'm considering switching back to Directv after my cable bill went up again.  I still have the old dish on top of my house, and I assume they would need to install a new dish (I didn't have HD the last time I was with them).  Will Directv installers be willing to remove the old dish and put the new dish in its place, or will I either have to remove the old dish myself and patch the holes or have 2 dishes on my house?

Thanks!

They will install a new dish.

Company policy, from what I read, is that they are not allowed to remove old dishes from roofs. If there is a leak then they could be subject to being sued.

I have the remnants of 2 dishes on my roof and a new working one. What you / they  can do is to remove all but the foot / feet pieces that are screwed directly to the roof. This way you do not leave any holes in the roof.

Some say being nice and asking and a tip will get that done for you. I removed mine while the tech was installing the new one.

Edited by jimmie57, 13 August 2014 - 07:29 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

If they won't remove it, you can do it yourself. Slide some flashing under the shingle as far as you can where the holes are, and then use silicone to fill the holes on the top and also some to hold the flashing in place. Make sure to also put the flashing a row below the shingles with the exposed holes as the underneath shingles will have been compromised by the mount.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

You may be able to negotiate with the installer to remove the mast on up, but you should probably leave the foot behind as jimmie57 suggests unless you know specifically how to deal with your roofing. Roofing companies are pretty merciless about this kind of stuff and it will likely void any warranty you might have left.

If you've got spare roofing material and the existing roof isn't too faded, replacing tabs/shakes is probably better than trying to patch screw holes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

They will install a new dish.

Company policy, from what I read, is that they are not allowed to remove old dishes from roofs. 

DirecTV® policy is that installer must remove old DirecTV® dishes if it can be proven they are not being used.  DirecTV® policy also states, installers do not have to remove other companies antennas

When removing a dish, the tech will remove the reflector and mast pipe, leaving the foot behind and any hardware that is attached to the roof.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I used my old foot and mast to mount my OTA antenna.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks!

They did not for me.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

They did not for me.

Then you should of call DirecTV® and they would of send someone back out to do so.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

DirecTV® policy is that installer must remove old DirecTV® dishes if it can be proven they are not being used.  DirecTV® policy also states, installers do not have to remove other companies antennas

That's interesting.  Back when doing dish self installs was more popular, Cablevision used to have a special deal for people who converted from satellite.  As part of the deal, Cablevision removed the dish (or at least the LNB).  Apparently, this was done to make it more difficult for the new customer to convert back to satellite.

#10 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Just to add to it, the old dish will not be removed if it cannot be done in a safe manner. 

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Then you should of call DirecTV® and they would of send someone back out to do so.

It was on roof peak.

It is gone now. Had contractor who was doing other work for me take it down. He kept the 18" round dish.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

Just to add to it, the old dish will not be removed if it cannot be done in a safe manner. 

Correct

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

When removing a dish, the tech will remove the reflector and mast pipe, leaving the foot behind and any hardware that is attached to the roof.

There's a rather nice house out in the country I go by often when I'm riding my bike that has two SD dishes (101/110/119 and 72.5) along with a very faded HD dish with a slightly bent mast and a new HD dish, all lined up along their roof. Guess they got a lazy installer, or think it adds curb appeal to their home :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

There's a rather nice house out in the country I go by often when I'm riding my bike that has two SD dishes (101/110/119 and 72.5) along with a very faded HD dish with a slightly bent mast and a new HD dish, all lined up along their roof. Guess they got a lazy installer, or think it adds curb appeal to their home :)

It could be, or some folks like to keep the dishes for the “just in case"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:55 AM

That's interesting.  Back when doing dish self installs was more popular, Cablevision used to have a special deal for people who converted from satellite.  As part of the deal, Cablevision removed the dish (or at least the LNB).  Apparently, this was done to make it more difficult for the new customer to convert back to satellite.

I remember those deals where you could sell your dish to the cable company for a 200 dollar credit on your bill!! and comcrap took any dish off the roof dish direct huegsnet ect ect. I don't think they do that anymore though since most of the boxes are leased

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

I don't think they do that anymore though since most of the boxes are leased

While the boxes are leased, the antenna and associated distribution equipment belong to the customer.
  • ground_pounder likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

While the boxes are leased, the antenna and associated distribution equipment belong to the customer.

that is true!! if I was the OP I would talk to the installer and see what they say I know I had an installer mount my sxm antenna for me while he was mounting my dtv dish I gave him 20 bucks for doing it. weather he was allowed to do something like that I guess that's a different story. I always heard from directv to talk to the installer!! I guess some will some won't do it

Edited by ground_pounder, 21 August 2014 - 02:07 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...