Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 wifi better than usual bridge?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Not pressing; but, when HR44 installed, installer said since game bridge working fine no need to setup internal wireless. Any advantage to setting it up?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have not read any complaints of the wireless operation of the HR44 unless they were too far from the router.

I would hook it up, if for no other reason to remove a piece of equipment from the line and another item to transfer data to and from.

If possible, I would plug an Ethernet cable directly into the HR44.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

I had ethernet plugged into my HR21.  When I recently got the HR44, the installer said WiFi worked better.  Coming hear, everyone says that is non-sense, which I'm sure it is.  I haven't bothered to hook the ethernet back up, because I've had zero issues with WiFi.  I connected to my 5GHz 802.11n network and it is more than fast enough for streaming On Demand or whatever.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I had ethernet plugged into my HR21.  When I recently got the HR44, the installer said WiFi worked better.  Coming hear, everyone says that is non-sense, which I'm sure it is.  I haven't bothered to hook the ethernet back up, because I've had zero issues with WiFi.  I connected to my 5GHz 802.11n network and it is more than fast enough for streaming On Demand or whatever.

Just as an example / similar but not exactly the same.

I have a laptop that when I run a speed test on it I get 17mbs download, when I plug in an Ethernet cable into it I get 56 mbs.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Just as an example / similar but not exactly the same.

I have a laptop that when I run a speed test on it I get 17mbs download, when I plug in an Ethernet cable into it I get 56 mbs.

Interesting! Repeatable? Can you use the speed in excess of 17 Megs? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

And that could be the laptop or his payout at router causing the speed difference.

And DIRECTV will never need more than 17 so.....

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Interesting! Repeatable? Can you use the speed in excess of 17 Megs? 

Comcast upgraded the speed from 25 to 50 and I was just testing. Before they upgraded I was getting 13 on the laptop wireless and not having any problems.

Just for the heck of it I tried it both wireless and wired to see if it was the wireless part or the super cheap laptop I bout a couple of years ago.

My desktop, hardwired, was getting 23 and now it gets 56.

I checked the router specs this morning and it says it is supposed to be capable of 300mbs thru the wireless n version . It is a 2009 gigabit ( wired ).

Edit: I can tell a difference between the 13 and 17 when I try to play an HD video, and a huge difference wired. The 13 is jerky and pauses, the 17 still does it but not nearly as much, the 56 is almost instant and never stops.

Edited by jimmie57, 13 August 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hmmmm. I would have thought a true and steady 13 down would give an excellent picture. Are you testing speed only with Speedtest.com?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hmmmm. I would have thought a true and steady 13 down would give an excellent picture. Are you testing speed only with Speedtest.com?

Yes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...