Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* Tech came out and upgraded my setup to SWiM and now have issues with Whole Home DVR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I've been meaning to post this for a week but haven't had the time. I tried a quick search and didn't see a definitive answer in the first page so here's my situation:

I've had a whole home HD DVR setup (5 HD DVR's) using hard wired ethernet cabling for the better part of 3 years. No serious long term issues with dropouts or inability to play recordings from one DVR to another (no matter how "far" from each other the DVR's were in the footprint of the house.). In addition to this, my original round dish ran 3 SD-DVR's for my kids TV's.

Last month DirecTV called and offered to upgrade my kids SD DVR's (all 3) to a whole home genie system. The tech came out last week and converted my slimine dish (which ran the 5 HD-DVR's and 1 HD receiver) to a SWim system to carry signal to ALL the receivers. (hopefully I said that right).

He also set up the "system" so that the genie and clients only see each other (i.e their playlists) and my original 5-HD DVR system only see each others playlists.

The short of the story is that after this switchover, my original 5 HD-DVR's are having a hard time playing back whole home content on the units furthest from each other. The bedroom DVR can play from the kitchen (and vice versa), the Living room DVR can play from the kitchen (and vice versa)... the 2 basement DVR's can play from each other....but the basement DVR's can't play to/from the Kitchen/Living Room/Bedroom DVR's (and vice versa). The playlists are viewable...but the content stutters and stops and such whenever I try to play it.

My question: It's obvious that the distance seems to be an issue....but I think the tech put a power boost (or something like that) in the garage by the splitter/switch.  And is the whole home DVR playback now going through the router on the new system....or does it travel through the coax back and forth to each box?

Before I call DirecTV I figured I'd ask the question here as to whether the power boost is in the wrong spot....or if another one is needed....or if there's something else at play here that's causing the issues.

Also, my house is not big by any means (footprint/square footage wise) so it's not like we're talking any 1 receiver being further than 25-40 feet from the other

TIA

D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

So you currently have a Genie, 5 HD DVRs, 1 HD receiver and 2 Genie clients?

#3 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi

The current configuration that I have is 5 HD DVR's, a Genie and 3 Genie clients

(They swapped out the 3 SD DVR's and the HD receiver for the Genie and clients).

D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#4 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Do you have two dishes to feed that many receivers?  Because in order to make one dish feed all that stuff, it would be a fairly complex installation.

Were your old HD DVRs each fed by two cables, i.e. a "legacy" non-SWM setup?  If so, are they still that way?

From your vague description it almost sounds like the tech set up a "hybrid" system in which one dish's signals (4 cables from the dish) are split between your old legacy multiswitch and a SWM-8 or SWM-16 for the Genie system. This kind of system can work (I have one) but I don't think it's officially "allowed" by DirecTV.

Are your old HD DVRs still using the Ethernet cabling?

Keith

#5 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

Do you have two dishes to feed that many receivers?  Because in order to make one dish feed all that stuff, it would be a fairly complex installation.

Were your old HD DVRs each fed by two cables, i.e. a "legacy" non-SWM setup?  If so, are they still that way?

From your vague description it almost sounds like the tech set up a "hybrid" system in which one dish's signals (4 cables from the dish) are split between your old legacy multiswitch and a SWM-8 or SWM-16 for the Genie system. This kind of system can work (I have one) but I don't think it's officially "allowed" by DirecTV.

Are your old HD DVRs still using the Ethernet cabling?

Keith

I *had* 2 dishes....the D* rep I spoke to on the phone said that they could set up a new SWim capable dish in place of the round dish to feed the genie system that was replacing the sd dvr's. I wasn't home for the install so I didn't get to squawk about how he set everything up. Everything seemed fine until we tried to "watch" content amongst the HD DVR's.

My 5 HD DVR's were indeed on a legacy non-SWM setup. He converted them all to Swim capable receivers (poor wording I think) with a dongle on the back of each receiver that has an ethernet cable on it going into the dongle and a coax as well (?).

The original HD DVR's are still using the Ethernet wiring (in addition to having the dongle on the back).

D* sub

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

With the Genie and 5 DVRs, you need to have an SWM16 multiswitch. That is fed by a conventional (not SWM) LNB on your dish with 4 coax between the dish and the SWM16.  There are two outputs from an SWM16, each of which can feed a maximum of 8 tuners, so the Genie and one DVR need to be on one side of the SWM16, and the other 4 DVRs on the other side of the SWM16. It doesn't really matter where the clients go (they don't have their own tuners), but I would recommend on the same side as the Genie.

All of the units are connected (networked) to each other over coax, so you do NOT want ethernet connections to anything except one access point to your LAN. That can either be by direct connection to the HR44, or to a separate device which is then connected to your coax network.  I suspect the ethernet connections to your HD DVRs is the source of your current problem.  Remove those and then go back through network setup on those units.

Post back with a better description of your system and how everything is connected if you continue to have problems and we'll try to offer more help.

#7 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

With the Genie and 5 DVRs, you need to have an SWM16 multiswitch. That is fed by a conventional (not SWM) LNB on your dish with 4 coax between the dish and the SWM16.  There are two outputs from an SWM16, each of which can feed a maximum of 8 tuners, so the Genie and one DVR need to be on one side of the SWM16, and the other 4 DVRs on the other side of the SWM16. It doesn't really matter where the clients go (they don't have their own tuners), but I would recommend on the same side as the Genie.

All of the units are connected (networked) to each other over coax, so you do NOT want ethernet connections to anything except one access point to your LAN. That can either be by direct connection to the HR44, or to a separate device which is then connected to your coax network.  I suspect the ethernet connections to your HD DVRs is the source of your current problem.  Remove those and then go back through network setup on those units.

Post back with a better description of your system and how everything is connected if you continue to have problems and we'll try to offer more help.

Thanks.

The Genie hasn't been hooked up to the internet yet btw. So based on what you're saying the cat-5 wiring only needs to be connected to the router from one of my HD-DVR's?

I will check the wiring both at the multiswitch as well as at the back of the receivers.

D* sub

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,492 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thanks.

The Genie hasn't been hooked up to the internet yet btw. So based on what you're saying the cat-5 wiring only needs to be connected to the router from one of my HD-DVR's?

I will check the wiring both at the multiswitch as well as at the back of the receivers.

Only a Genie can accept the Ethernet to bridge the network to your remaining HRs.  Or you may have a CCK that bridges the coax to your network (can be a powered DECA module).

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

The part that you thought might be an amplifier is probably the power supply (inserter) for the SWM16 switch. The label on the unit will help you figure this out.

I'd try hooking the HD DVRs back up via hardwire and rebooting them since the Genie isn't being "published".

BTW, five will get you ten that the Genie will be able to see everything even if the other boxes are denied its playlist. You'll probably want to acquaint yourself with Parental Controls.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

It is possible to set the DVR to only "see" its local playlist which is how I assume the install should have been to allow for a delivery as ordered.

The new "dongles" on the back of the older DVRs convert the COAX Ethernet traffic to the std Cat{x} cable so they should have a short run from themselves to your DVR's LAN port. With these DECA adapters in place there should not be any additional network cabling from the DVRs to your network.

With them all set this way you would have one end to end DECA "network" and with the Genie set to only see its own playlist it and its clients would not see the content on the other DVRs and if it was set up to not share its playlist then the other 5 would not see its content either.

Such a system can run independently of Internet access. If you use VOD than either a Cinema Connection Kit needs to be added to bridge the coax Ethernet traffic to the router/home LAN fabric. Or the Ethernet port on the Genie (and the Genie ONLY) can serve the same function acting as the bridge between fabrics.

harsh was correct most likely that your "amplifier" is a power inserter which is essential to powering the SWM. IF they installed a CCK to bridge between the coax and your router's LAN it should be located somewhere near your router most likely. If such a bridge exists connecting the Genie's LAN port would be bad.

Don "hopefully this makes sense, I only had 3 hours sleep last night and nowhere near a Holiday Inn Express either" Bolton

The part that you thought might be an amplifier is probably the power supply (inserter) for the SWM16 switch. The label on the unit will help you figure this out.

I'd try hooking the HD DVRs back up via hardwire and rebooting them since the Genie isn't being "published".

BTW, five will get you ten that the Genie will be able to see everything even if the other boxes are denied its playlist. You'll probably want to acquaint yourself with Parental Controls.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Are all of your runs home runs to the switch and splitter? Can you take some pics and show us? I wonder if he used a bsf of menu settings. An how long are these runs? Well over 100 feet?

Also are any of you DVRs hr24s? If so there's a test that can be run to see if it can find a weak link.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

He also set up the "system" so that the genie and clients only see each other (i.e their playlists) and my original 5-HD DVR system only see each others playlists.

Unless you are using two switches, that is almost impossible since you can't run 5 HDDVRs (on dual mode) on a SWM LNB and you can’t run 5 HDDVRs on a single side of a SWM16.  And connecting a BSF on a spitter on a second side will prevent from sharing from the first side.  

We really need to know how your system was set up and you might have to deal with the fact that your entire playlist will be share amongst all receivers/DVRs and clients 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Why would you want to do that, is beyond me!!!!!  A well installed DirecTV® system should work FLAWLESSLY on a coax network.  But I can’t expect anything from a user who does not have DirecTV® but subs to Dish Network

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...