Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

no big 10 network for maryland fans in the dc area

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

i thought that dish would add the zip codes for schools that join the big 10 network so that their local fans can watch their confrence games just like the other big 10 school fans can. one of the main reasons the big 10 added md was to get the washington dc market. i am sure dish and their agents will be telling prospective customers in the dc market that they won't be getting to follow their home team's confrence. i'm not going to hold my breath on this. the promotions will say big 10 network, but then there it ie tiny asterisk with hard to find tiny print telling the real story and very dissapointed terps fans customers. is it that hard to remove the acc and add the big 10 to the local area codes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsat51

jsat51

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationmid-atlantic

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I live in the DC metro area and I have Directv   with the Big 10 network with alt channels, and occasionally they show more than 1 event at a time, especially during football season..

Edited by jsat51, 13 August 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

i thought that dish would add the zip codes for schools that join the big 10 network so that their local fans can watch their confrence games just like the other big 10 school fans can. one of the main reasons the big 10 added md was to get the washington dc market. i am sure dish and their agents will be telling prospective customers in the dc market that they won't be getting to follow their home team's confrence. i'm not going to hold my breath on this. the promotions will say big 10 network, but then there it ie tiny asterisk with hard to find tiny print telling the real story and very dissapointed terps fans customers. is it that hard to remove the acc and add the big 10 to the local area codes?

I have not seen an update on the Big 10 getting expanded at this time. We do have the Big 10 available on our Multi-Sports package currently is you are still considered out of that regional area. If you would like to send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account, I will be happy to see what promotions are available on the package so that you can enjoy the games that air on Big 10.this season.

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

I agree, with the original poster, that the whole idea that Maryland was admitted to the BigTen, was to get the Washington - Baltimore Market. Just like Rutgers was admitted to get the New York City market (New York, New Jersey and western Connecticut).

Now comes the fine print, BTN is only available, as part of one's package if they are AT150 or above, and live in a state which is in the BigTen. If not, then they have to buy the SportsPack for $11/month. It does not matter if one's state borders a BigTen state. If that were the case, I would get BTN,  because Colorado borders Nebraska. Thus, BigTen's game plan has a small problem, New York and Connecticut, as well as Virginia are effectively in the same boat as Colorado; not in a state that contains a BigTen school. Thus, no BTN unless you buy the SportsPack.

Of course, if DISH decides to allow New York, Connecticut Washington, DC and Virginia to receive BTN, without the SprtsPack, then so should Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia and Kentucky, as well. But, we know that is not going to happen.

Then, there is Washington DC, it is not in any state, though its land area was ceded from Maryland. Though, it is technically part of Maryland, in regards to issues if DC is allowed to become a state. Maryland has to pass legislation to allow this to happen.

I guess Mr. Delaney did not do his homework, in regards to high density markets like New York and Washington DC which span multiple states. With the exception of the Chicago area (Northwestern), none of the other11 BigTen schools are in metropolitan areas that span multiple states.

It will be interesting to see what DISH has to say or do for people who live in states that border BigTeb states.

Edited by nmetro, 13 August 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

BTN is only available, as part of one's package if they are AT150 or above, and live in a state which is in the BigTen.

America's Top 120 Plus or higher ... AT150 has not existed since it became AT180 in 2003 (AT250 in 2007).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

I agree, with the original poster, that the whole idea that Maryland was admitted to the BigTen, was to get the Washington - Baltimore Market. Just like Rutgers was admitted to get the New York City market (New York, New Jersey and western Connecticut).

Now comes the fine print, BTN is only available, as part of one's package if they are AT150 or above, and live in a state which is in the BigTen. If not, then they have to buy the SportsPack for $11/month. It does not matter if one's state borders a BigTen state. If that were the case, I would get BTN,  because Colorado borders Nebraska. Thus, BigTen's game plan has a small problem, New York and Connecticut, as well as Virginia are effectively in the same boat as Colorado; not in a state that contains a BigTen school. Thus, no BTN unless you buy the SportsPack.

Of course, if DISH decides to allow New York, Connecticut Washington, DC and Virginia to receive BTN, without the SprtsPack, then so should Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia and Kentucky, as well. But, we know that is not going to happen.

Then, there is Washington DC, it is not in any state, though its land area was ceded from Maryland. Though, it is technically part of Maryland, in regards to issues if DC is allowed to become a state. Maryland has to pass legislation to allow this to happen.

I guess Mr. Delaney did not do his homework, in regards to high density markets like New York and Washington DC which span multiple states. With the exception of the Chicago area (Northwestern), none of the other11 BigTen schools are in metropolitan areas that span multiple states.

It will be interesting to see what DISH has to say or do for people who live in states that border BigTeb states.

it's even worse than you are saying. you don't get the big 10 network in MARYLAND, the state the new big 10 school is in! is it the same in new jersey with rutgers? i would think the smart thing to do would be to have a minimum radius area of a big 10 school to recieve big 10 network. could someone have massed up negociations this bad? the big 10 and cable providers have agreed to provide big 10 network.

http://espn.go.com/c...land-new-jersey

it's not that hard dish! 

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Contact the BigTen and Mr. Delaney's office; they are the ones ultimately responsible for bringing in Maryland and Rutgers to the BigTen. Also, considering they had a year or more to prepare, BTN should have been an automatic situation. I do not think this is a DISH issue, entirely.

I would really like to see what they do for New York and Washington. If indeed, they allow viewers from non-BigTen states to have BTN as part of their AT 120 (I mistyped earlier); then, that has implications in other states, like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Officially, the BigTen football season starts on 30 August, so it quite possible that the BTN footprint will be expanded either the day before or before 12 noon EDT.

it's even worse than you are saying. you don't get the big 10 network in MARYLAND, the state the new big 10 school is in! is it the same in new jersey with rutgers? i would think the smart thing to do would be to have a minimum radius area of a big 10 school to recieve big 10 network. could someone have massed up negociations this bad? the big 10 and cable providers have agreed to provide big 10 network.

http://espn.go.com/c...land-new-jersey

it's not that hard dish! 

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

I don't know when Maryland and Rutgers officially become part of the Big Ten.  With the way the sporting seasons overlap...  The ACC is losing Maryland and adding Louisville effectively at the start of the upcoming football season.

I don't know what other sports might be going on with any overlap... did the college baseball season start with Maryland in the Big Ten already?  I don't follow baseball so I don't know.

At a minimum I would expect New Jersey and Maryland to get BigTen if they are in a qualifying package as James noted.  Washington DC and some outlying areas are always potentially screwed in these deals... but the actual state containing the schools should be a no-brainer.

I would think the Big Ten would want customers in those markets to get the channel and would want a piece of the pie from Dish customers to boot.

It could be a technical glitch OR they could be waiting for the start of football season to make the switch... though I did see sometime in the last week a special on Big Ten welcoming Maryland to the Big Ten that presumably Maryland Dish customers would have liked to watch.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Contact the BigTen and Mr. Delaney's office; they are the ones ultimately responsible for bringing in Maryland and Rutgers to the BigTen. Also, considering they had a year or more to prepare, BTN should have been an automatic situation. I do not think this is a DISH issue, entirely.

I would really like to see what they do for New York and Washington. If indeed, they allow viewers from non-BigTen states to have BTN as part of their AT 120 (I mistyped earlier); then, that has implications in other states, like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Officially, the BigTen football season starts on 30 August, so it quite possible that the BTN footprint will be expanded either the day before or before 12 noon EDT.

i did send a message to the big 10 network (no responce yet), but i can't find any contact information for mr delaney. i have top 200 and it isn't included. if they are intending to start at the start of the football season, you would think they would communicate this with current and prospective customers.

#10 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I don't know when Maryland and Rutgers officially become part of the Big Ten.  With the way the sporting seasons overlap...  The ACC is losing Maryland and adding Louisville effectively at the start of the upcoming football season.

I don't know what other sports might be going on with any overlap... did the college baseball season start with Maryland in the Big Ten already?  I don't follow baseball so I don't know.

At a minimum I would expect New Jersey and Maryland to get BigTen if they are in a qualifying package as James noted.  Washington DC and some outlying areas are always potentially screwed in these deals... but the actual state containing the schools should be a no-brainer.

I would think the Big Ten would want customers in those markets to get the channel and would want a piece of the pie from Dish customers to boot.

It could be a technical glitch OR they could be waiting for the start of football season to make the switch... though I did see sometime in the last week a special on Big Ten welcoming Maryland to the Big Ten that presumably Maryland Dish customers would have liked to watch.

i don't follow baseball ether, so i don't know. football and basketball are the only sports that generate big money and matter in this situation.

my zip code radius of the school idea is better for all involved if it is going to be a regional network. people in western md are just as likely to be w va, pitt, ohio st, and penn st fans (the latter two also being big 10 schools). there are a huge ammount of penn state sports fans (thatt matters more than just being a graduate of the school) in nj, maybe as many as rutgers. the md canpus is right whers md, va, and wasg dc come together so the targeted sports fans are spread in all these areas.

the real kicker is that the sec network is included in 120 and up packages for the entire country!!!!

#11 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

FYI, Rutgers and Maryland joined the BigTen on 1 July, 2014; they are full members and no longer associated with their old conferences.

They are in the East Division, for football, with Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers. Also, I can confirm they are on the Ohio State football schedule.

The West Division has Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

#12 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

If I remember, when BTN signed on, it was also included in everyone's package for a "preview" time, then it moved to the restrictions of  live in a BigTen state or buy the SportsPack. The SEC Network and Longhorn Network may, and I emphasis may, also implement the same restrictions. I am not sure about PAC12, because I live in a PAC12 state. In the end, DISH wants you to subscribe to the SportsPack.

i don't follow baseball ether, so i don't know. football and basketball are the only sports that generate big money and matter in this situation.

my zip code radius of the school idea is better for all involved if it is going to be a regional network. people in western md are just as likely to be w va, pitt, ohio st, and penn st fans (the latter two also being big 10 schools). there are a huge ammount of penn state sports fans (thatt matters more than just being a graduate of the school) in nj, maybe as many as rutgers. the md canpus is right whers md, va, and wasg dc come together so the targeted sports fans are spread in all these areas.

the real kicker is that the sec network is included in 120 and up packages for the entire country!!!!

#13 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Try this:

http://michiganstate...mplain-14709164

i did send a message to the big 10 network (no responce yet), but i can't find any contact information for mr delaney. i have top 200 and it isn't included. if they are intending to start at the start of the football season, you would think they would communicate this with current and prospective customers.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I was thinking SEC and Longhorn would probably be in "preview" mode for everyone for at least a couple of weeks to get eyeballs.  That's they way BigTen and Pac12 were when they launched I believe.  At some point I would expect SEC and Longhorn to only be available in the states/markets for those teams unless you subscribe to Multisport.

As to who should be getting what... I agree it should be market-based and not just state-line based... because some states have lots of crossover fans when the teams are close to the border or multiple teams in different conferences in the same state.  I was just going for the easy-answer that you'd think at minimum Maryland and New Jersey would get Big Ten... possibly other markets in other states surrounding as well, but at a minimum those states.  I would say definitely Washington DC and at least part of New York ought to get it as well, and perhaps other areas I'm not considering.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#15 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

i called the big 10 office, and they directed me to someone at the big 10 network.i left a message with him.

Edited by husker61, 15 August 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

If I remember, when BTN signed on, it was also included in everyone's package for a "preview" time, then it moved to the restrictions of  live in a BigTen state or buy the SportsPack. The SEC Network and Longhorn Network may, and I emphasis may, also implement the same restrictions. I am not sure about PAC12, because I live in a PAC12 state. In the end, DISH wants you to subscribe to the SportsPack.

I do not recall a package announcement when we first got Big-10. Viewers just sort of worked out who got the channel over time (and you are right about it being introduced with the preview flag set).

SEC and Longhorn are NOT in preview ... and their package level (AT120+ or above nationwide) has been clearly announced.

See here on DISH's website for new channels:
http://www.mydish.co...vl=perks-subnav
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

i called the big 10 office, and they directed me to someone at the big 10 network.i left a message with him.

i finally got a response from the big 10 network (after two weeks!!) that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation i inquired about.

Hi mark

Thanks for the message. Please use the GameFinder application on our website for channel info. http://btn.com/about/btn-gamefinder/

Sincerely,
BTN

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

America's Top 120 Plus or higher ... AT150 has not existed since it became AT180 in 2003 (AT250 in 2007).

What? When did this start?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

What? When did this start?

I believe Big Ten Network became available in market only at AT 120 + (the same as all other RSNs at the time) by the end of 2009 (the year BTN was added). It was offered in free preview for the first few months DISH had it (available to all subscribers) but was moved to AT120+ in market/Sports Pack out of market later that year IIRC.

#20 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Just got the following notice:

The Big Ten Conference has expanded their territory to include Rutgers University and the University of Maryland. As a part of this expansion, Big Ten Network will now be broadcasting Rutgers and Maryland football games. However, DISH has chosen to opt out of the additional fees The Big Ten Network has asked for to carry these games in the school’s home states. Customers will only lose access to a limited number of additional sporting events, listed below.

Day/Date

Time (ET)

Game

Blackout Location

DISH Location

Saturday, August 30

3:30pm

James Madison at Maryland

State of Maryland

Alternate Channel

Saturday, September 6

12:00pm

Howard at Rutgers

State of New Jersey

Alternate Channel

Saturday, September 13

12:00pm

West Virginia at Maryland

State of Maryland

Big10

Saturday, September 13

8:00pm

Penn State at Rutgers

State of New Jersey

Big10

Saturday, October 4

7:00pm

Michigan at Rutgers

State of New Jersey

Big10

Saturday, November 15

8:00pm

Michigan State at Maryland

State of Maryland

Big10

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...