Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Issue Playing Back Recording, HR44

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Recently, I've encountered an issue playing back recordings on my HR 44-100 where occasionally after skipping some commercials, we'll come back to video with no audio. So far, an easy fix is just to stop the recording and wait for the live video to start up again in the small screen. So far, that always starts up with audio and then you can resume the recording with audio. So it's not a major PITA problem. I just wonder what's up with it and whether anyone else is seeing the same thing.

This may not have any bearing on what's happening, but I recently encountered a problem with a power outage (described here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-problem/). I never saw the issue before this happened. So, maybe there's a connection?

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,287 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

What version of software? 

Have you reset the receiver?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

I've had audio delay issues between my DVR and HD receiver when Dolby Digital is turned on.  Turning it off has eliminated the problem.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

I've had audio delay issues between my DVR and HD receiver when Dolby Digital is turned on.  Turning it off has eliminated the problem.

Do you mean lipsync issues or just a delay between the video returning to the screen and the audio starting up? I have the latter (it wasn't always that way), but has been so for several releases (firmware). I am going through the same audio/video chain I have been for over five years, so no, nothing has changed there except new sat boxes and new firmware. Any time I ff/rw/skip, the pix returns and it takes at least 2 seconds for the sound to return through the HT amp.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Do you mean lipsync issues or just a delay between the video returning to the screen and the audio starting up?

A delay between the video returning to the screen and the audio starting up.  I've had it for a long time with my Onkyo receiver, both with my HR44 and the HR21 that it replaced..  I think that it takes a moment for the AV receiver to determine what audio codec is being sent.

#6 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm on software version Ox8c2. This is not a lipsynch issue nor is it a matter of it taking a couple of seconds for the audio to return after the video resumes after skipping forward. The audio just disappears until you stop playing the recording and let the live video resume in the small window on the top left of the screen, at which time the audio comes back with the live video, and then you can resume playback of the recording with the audio intact. As far as turning off Dolby Digital, the problem isn't serious enough to me to warrant losing DD (remember, it happens only occasionally, even infrequently, and is easily resolved). But I doubt that would work in this case, anyway, as it's not a delay issue.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

As far as turning off Dolby Digital, the problem isn't serious enough to me to warrant losing DD (remember, it happens only occasionally, even infrequently, and is easily resolved).

Turning Dolby Digital off doesn't eliminate surround sound.  My receiver still "sees" a 5.1 audio signal with Dolby Digital turned off.

#8 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

I appreciate the suggestion, but the problem really doesn't warrant it. I'm just curious to see if anyone has any insight into what might be causing it and if anyone else has encountered it. I restarted my receiver tonight. It'll be interesting to see if I encounter it again. I didn't encounter it today playing back a recording of a Steelers preseason game (and, of course, skipping through commercials - what brings the problem out).

Turning Dolby Digital off doesn't eliminate surround sound.  My receiver still "sees" a 5.1 audio signal with Dolby Digital turned off.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

I wasn't suggesting that you do. I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading this thread didn't come to the conclusion that turning DD off eliminated surround sound.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

That is true. Even the cheapest, oldest TV with an ATSC tuner actually "gets" 5.1, because in most cases that is all that is sent. Of course a TV or DVR with just 2.0 capability does a 2.0 downmix of that. But it has to receive 5.1 to be able to downmix to 2.0.

The "on/off" switch for DD on a DTV STB may be a legacy holdover from SD. HD TV stations and cable/sat networks use just AC-3, and if there are more than the two stereo channels available within that, and if your equipment can reproduce 5.1, you can still get 5.1. If you can't, like the cheap old HDTV, you get a 2.0 downmix that comes from the AC-3.

DD essentially is AC-3, although there may be options one does not support that the other does. Technicaly they are mostly identical. Back in the SD days DTV audio was PCM, and then some stations offered 5.1 along with that. But for HD or digital TV, everything is AC-3, which is typically 6 channels plus 2 for the second audio (usually descriptive video service these days). No separate PCM or main 2-channel audio is sent. To get main 2.0 stereo out of the STB, that is downmixed from the 5.1, which is always available. But you may still need the switching capability for SD for some setups, so we still have that capability on the DTV HD STB.

And, a lot of the interstitial content surrounding 5.1 content from TV/cable/sat is 2.0, but quite often they simulate 5.1 to prevent the collapse of the audio to 2.0, and to keep your AC-3 decoder from briefly muting when switching from one mode to the other, which means you may get only 2.0 or simulated 5.1 but the "Dolby Stereo" light on your AVR stays on. If not, many AVRs are capable of sensing 2.0 and automatically simulating 5.1 locally which can also prevent the collapse to 2.0.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

If it weren't for the ability to turn DD off on the DTV boxes, I couldn't use Vizio sound bar I have...it will not work with DD on...has to be set PCM, then it works. There is a warning in the Vizio manual about the problem. Basically, no DD will work with that particular sound bar.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   jdeaton

jdeaton

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

When using a C-41 client connected to a Marantz SR9600 receiver via coaxial digital I noticed the receiver was in Dolby ProLogic rather than Dolby Digital mode.

Sure enough going to the menu and switching the audio mode on the C-41 to Dolby Digital put the old Marantz into DD 5.1 mode.

The problem now is when I resume from pause or fast forward and I get a brief digital noise intrusion.  It’s irritating.  Turning DD off cures this switching noise problem.

Anyone else encounter this?  Might a software upgrade fix this?

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

The problem may be with the Marantz not handling the switch off from DD to PCM properly.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Starting a couple of software upgrades ago, I started getting a "popping" noise on my vizio soundbar when resuming from pause. This would happen with DD turned on. I now have a Yamaha receiver and no longer get the popping noise.

However, now I experience an issue when playing back On Demand recordings where the audio cuts out briefly exactly every 6 seconds.

Edited by swyman18, 27 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

Starting a couple of software upgrades ago, I started getting a "popping" noise on my vizio soundbar when resuming from pause. This would happen with DD turned on. I now have a Yamaha receiver and no longer get the popping noise.

However, now I experience an issue when playing back On Demand recordings where the audio cuts out briefly exactly every 6 seconds.

I have begun to experience this same problem.  I can say that it is on both a Genie connected via Optical cable as well as an HR21 connected via HDMI and manifests on separate audio receivers.  It didn't used to do this, but now it does.  Every 10 seconds or so the audio just drops completely and then comes back.  It is super annoying and only with On Demand and  DD.  If anyone has run into a solution for this, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Xaa, 02 September 2014 - 02:59 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...