Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD nonSWM dish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

This may be a dumb question.  I searched and didn't find anything, but I may not have been searching for the right terms.  Learning about new things is interesting to me though.

Can you get HD from DirecTV with a non SWM dish?  Such as a regular SL5 or SL3?  You can't get as many tuners on those, but if you only need 2 or 3 tuners, would they work and receive HD?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yes, the non SWM version / legacy dishes have 4 coax connections and they will drive 4 tuners for HD or SD reception with no other equipment other than the receivers and connection coax required.

If the dish is a Slimline 5 it will get the 99c, 99s, 101w, 103ca, 103cb and the 103s, 110 and 119. The s is a spot beam for local channels.

The Slimline 3 is the same except it will not get the 110 or the 119 satellites.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Probably.  If depends on the receiver(s).  HR25's require SWM (so do Genies, but you're not asking about thoes).  If you're talking about any other receivers, you would need one cable from the dish to each of the tuners.  You will also need a B-Band Converter for each tuner.  If you wanted to go beyond 4 tuners, you would need a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch.  That will allow you to have up to 8 tuners.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Probably.  If depends on the receiver(s).  HR25's require SWM (so do Genies, but you're not asking about thoes).  If you're talking about any other receivers, you would need one cable from the dish to each of the tuners.  You will also need a B-Band Converter for each tuner.  If you wanted to go beyond 4 tuners, you would need a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch.  That will allow you to have up to 8 tuners.

Thanks Bill, I left out the B-Band converters for sure.

Of course if he happens to get an HR23 they do not use them which I am certain you know. Just posting for the TS.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

You can't get as many tuners on those,

Actually, you can get as many tuners as you want with the right equipment connected to the LNB.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

Actually, you can get as many tuners as you want with the right equipment connected to the LNB.  

Any idea what the largest MDU is? I'm sure there must be a few tall NYC apartment buildings with a single dish on the roof serving 1000+ units.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

No idea, but one time I stayed in a hotel with 200 and some rooms with DirecTV® HD receiver in every room

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Does DirecTV do any nonSWM installs any more?  What HD receivers do they give to customers?  Do they lease out H23 or H24 receivers any more?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

1. Does DirecTV do any nonSWM installs any more?

2. What HD receivers do they give to customers?

3. Do they lease out H23 or H24 receivers any more?

1. ALL new installs are SWM

2. H23 and above

3. Yup. But there is no guarantee model

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

If you upgraded a dish to the new slimline model, if the current dish already has 4 lines running from it, how likely are they to use the SWM8?

If someone's got an old receiver like a D10 receiver, it would require either the SWM8 or a nonSWM setup, correct?  Would DirecTV catch all of that in their system and install the appropriate parts?  I guess I'm afraid that if someone was upgrading, DirecTV would send all SWM stuff and legacy components like the D10 wouldn't work.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

I believe an official install doesn't use the legacy ports or SWM8. They'd swap out a D10 for a D12.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

If you upgraded a dish to the new slimline model, if the current dish already has 4 lines running from it, how likely are they to use the SWM8?

If someone's got an old receiver like a D10 receiver, it would require either the SWM8 or a nonSWM setup, correct?  Would DirecTV catch all of that in their system and install the appropriate parts?  I guess I'm afraid that if someone was upgrading, DirecTV would send all SWM stuff and legacy components like the D10 wouldn't work.

Chances of getting a SWM are very slim.  If you have an old legacy receiver DirecTV® would do as much as they can to try to upgrade that receiver to something compatible.  Perhaps if you were to get a Genie they will give you a mini to replace the D10. If you are getting only an HD receiver, the system will automatically trigger a “system swap” for a D12 for that legacy D10.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...