Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast, use your own receiver?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

So comcast is telling me I have to use their receiver that they will rent to me. The only alternative is to use a Tivo, which they will then rent me a cable card for only like $1.50 per month.

Is there some other receiver I can get that will use the cable card and work correctly?

I actually have directv and have no intention of leaving them. But I want to get the pac 12 network. Since directv doesn't offer it, I'm thinking a TV and Internet bundle from comcast is in order.

I just want the cheapest package on 1 TV. I'll use a slingbox to get it to the other TVs as needed.

I only plan on watching this one channel, and only a few times per month. I'll cancel the TV portion after football season, so no term commit. (my main TV watching will be on my existing directv service)

What's the cheapest way to do this? Oh yeah, it needs to be HD.

Surely there must be some device I can tell them is a Tivo, put a cable card in it, and use it without paying Tivo a monthly fee?

Edited by BlackDynamite, 16 August 2014 - 04:45 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

You can also use hardware in a computer with a cablecard. One of these may work, I have no experience with them.

http://www.newegg.co...uner&Submit=ENE

• BlackDynamite likes this

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

This Samsung Cable Box (uses CableCARD) and Streaming Media Player is another option if you don't need a DVR. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00EYO241Q

Also a cheaper CableCARD network tuner option (with 3 tuners total) is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. http://www.amazon.co...C/dp/B004HKIB6E It's highly regarded among the HTPC folks that use it.

For HD, Comcast in most markets require you have the HD Technology Fee ($9.95 mo) added to your account in addition to the price of the CableCARD. Now, I have heard some folks receive the HD channels without having that "rate code" added to the billing system with only CableCARD's (no Comcast provided set-tops) so it's one of those YMMV situations. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#4 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

This Samsung Cable Box (uses CableCARD) and Streaming Media Player is another option if you don't need a DVR. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00EYO241Q

Also a cheaper CableCARD network tuner option (with 3 tuners total) is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. http://www.amazon.co...C/dp/B004HKIB6E It's highly regarded among the HTPC folks that use it.

For HD, Comcast in most markets require you have the HD Technology Fee ($9.95 mo) added to your account in addition to the price of the CableCARD. Now, I have heard some folks receive the HD channels without having that "rate code" added to the billing system with only CableCARD's (no Comcast provided set-tops) so it's one of those YMMV situations.

Yeah they told me I'd have to pay that fee unless I had a Tivo. In that case I'd only have to pay $1.50 per month for the cable card.

#5 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

So comcast is telling me I have to use their receiver that they will rent to me. The only alternative is to use a Tivo, which they will then rent me a cable card for only like $1.50 per month.

Is there some other receiver I can get that will use the cable card and work correctly?

Not a receiver, but there are two- to six-tuner cable card tuners that can be installed in Win 7 or 8 PCs or connected to your Ethernet network from Hauppage, Silicon Dust, or Ceton. The thing I really like is no subscription charge as you would see with TiVo.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#6 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Not a receiver, but there are two- to six-tuner cable card tuners that can be installed in Win 7 or 8 PCs or connected to your Ethernet network from Hauppage, Silicon Dust, or Ceton. The thing I really like is no subscription charge as you would see with TiVo.

Is there a device that will take a cable card and connect to my tv without connecting it to pc?

I don't want to pay for a tivo subscription either, so I like your suggestion.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 18 August 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

This Samsung Cable Box (uses CableCARD) and Streaming Media Player is another option if you don't need a DVR. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00EYO241Q

Also a cheaper CableCARD network tuner option (with 3 tuners total) is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. http://www.amazon.co...C/dp/B004HKIB6E It's highly regarded among the HTPC folks that use it.

That Samsung device looks to be exactly what I need. Thanks again!
  • coolman302003 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Is there a device that will take a cable card and connect to my tv without connecting it to pc?

I don't want to pay for a tivo subscription either, so I like your suggestion.

I don't believe so. In my setup I have the Ceton device and tuning adapter in the Living Room along with my Panny 50". I have the HTPC in the bedroom connected to a 46" SONY and Logitech PC surround sound system on a wired Gigabit Ethernet network. I use an Xbox 360 as a media extender so I can watch Recorded or Live TV when I'm in the main room. It's not as daunting a setup as it may seem, but I would say since it seems from what you say in your posts there are others involved in your setup, that would be something to take into account. IOW, the TiVo(s) tends to be simpler to setup.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

no you can't buy your own cable box with any cable co. back in the day I used to use a tv tuner in my pc's and a separate HD to store all of my DVr recordings.

#10 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

no you can't buy your own cable box with any cable co.

You can buy a tivo or any other device that supports a cable card like the ones mentioned in post 3 of this thread instead of the box from your provider.

Edited by KyL416, 24 August 2014 - 03:30 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...