Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GENIE LITE coming?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

In April of this year, DIRECTV applied for a GENIE LITE trademark.

Will this be a new name for the Genie Mini or will it be a cost-reduced Genie?

Also in April, DIRECTV applied for a trademark on DIRECTV COPILOT. The odd part is that in September 2011, they abandoned a trademark on DIRECTV CO-PILOT.

It strikes me as odd that GenieGO, Genie Mini and Wireless Genie Mini aren't registered.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

I'm hoping it's a Mini 3 tuner version that's compatible with the 5 tuner Genie.
But that's just wish full thinking.

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

DIRECTV CoPilot is the name of a feature in the DIRECTV App for iPad. It's been around a little while.

I think DIRECTV had other plans for the name, decided to drop it, then changed their mind and used it for something else.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Genie Lite got my attention. But with DirecTV past logic, this could make it anything. Might even be a Genie that glows in the dark.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

DIRECTV CoPilot is the name of a feature in the DIRECTV App for iPad. It's been around a little while.

I would expect that it would need to have broader support than just iDevices.

Maybe they were going to (or will) release a web app that had/has some practical utility. The existing web app is pretty lightweight.

With hundreds of trademarks, it appears to be a full-time job coming up with names.

Edited by harsh, 17 August 2014 - 02:51 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Might even be a Genie that glows in the dark.

I'm surprised they didn't debut a cost reduced GENIE version prior to the SD cut-off.

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Maybe Genie Lite would be essentially the same as the current Genie, and there would also be an improved model with more tuners, 4K support, etc. They'll give away the Lite one for free, and make people pay for the new one. Though you'd think rather than branding one as "Lite" they'd leave it as "Genie" and make the improved one a "Genie Plus" or "Genie Pro" or something like that...

It is also quite possible they applied for the trademark because they're thinking about doing something, so it was done just in case they decide to do it. There are a lot of trademarks that get applied for but never used.

One of the mods on the other site claimed last December or January there was a HR46 and HR54 in development. The people here in the know said they'd never heard of such a thing, but who knows? One would assume the 46 would be a minor rev of the 44, and the 54 be improved somehow. Supporting 4K would be an obvious improvement, going to 8 tuners so it can support more clients would be another.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'm surprised they didn't debut a cost reduced GENIE version prior to the SD cut-off.

I'm unclear on exactly what they could to reduce the cost of the Genie below the current cost. Better integration (i.e. fewer individual chips) could save a little money, but they could do that anyway and not even have to change the model number, or call it a "HR44 rev 2"

Going from 5 to 3 tuners as someone suggested will never happen. It would only support a single client (or maybe two if you were willing to be left with a single tuner on the main unit) Plus that would save very little, as all the tuners could easily be placed on a single chip now. No way that tiny savings would be worth the creating such a useless model.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Going from 5 to 3 tuners as someone suggested will never happen. It would only support a single client (or maybe two if you were willing to be left with a single tuner on the main unit) Plus that would save very little, as all the tuners could easily be placed on a single chip now. No way that tiny savings would be worth the creating such a useless model.

Geesh sorry!

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

We need Genie Mega. 8 tuners so that even with three clients in use, you still have 5 dedicated tuners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • damondlt likes this

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

We need Genie Mega. 8 tuners so that even with three clients in use, you still have 5 dedicated tuners.

Or like I said, a small 3 tuner, that we can add to our 5 tuner, and still use swm 8 switchs.

If Directv is trying to get more cost effective, than they need something cheaper than $33,27,21 per month for the less than 3,2,1 room Genie crowd.

Because we all know, directv is just teasing us with this price reduction, just to weasel us into this Paying $6 on the first receiver, making it appear justifiable , especially once March arrives.
I know their game.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Not just their game. I can use my own hardware for my Internet connection, but still have to pay their lease fee.

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

All I know is they just released a backlit Genie remote, maybe that's it.
  • damondlt and JACKIEGAGA like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

That very well could be .

#15 ONLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I'm unclear on exactly what they could to reduce the cost of the Genie below the current cost. Better integration (i.e. fewer individual chips) could save a little money, but they could do that anyway and not even have to change the model number, or call it a "HR44 rev 2"

You could build it without a hard drive, that would bring down the cost and provide an option for an HD sans DVR installation but still using the genie platform?

Maybe they can do something like that with Dswm?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

You could build it without a hard drive, that would bring down the cost and provide an option for an HD sans DVR installation but still using the genie platform?

That's an interesting idea, some customers still don't have DVRs and perhaps aren't interested in them, but using a Genie would allow using clients instead of all receivers, but provide an easy upgrade path.

Maybe they can do something like that with Dswm?

Having more SWM tuners would be helpful, but it hard to see what value there would be in having a Genie with more than 8 tuners. That would really be a niche product.

Edited by slice1900, 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

That's an interesting idea, some customers still don't have DVRs and perhaps aren't interested in them, but using a Genie would allow using clients instead of all receivers, but provide an easy upgrade path.

Having more SWM tuners would be helpful, but it hard to see what value there would be in having a Genie with more than 8 tuners. That would really be a niche product.

Did we think there'd be one with 5 - even 5 years ago?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

For the term 'lite' I expect this Genie will either have less tuners or no mini clients.

With DirecTV not taking any HR2x back, I expect it would be a less tuners, replacement for the HR2x,  model, as I hope for a no mini client version.

• dminches likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

With DirecTV not taking any HR2x back, I expect it would be a less tuners, replacement for the HR2x,  model, as I hope for a no mini client version.

The only one they are not taking is the HR24-100 all others are still recoverable as of this writing 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

The only one they are not taking is the HR24-100 all others are still recoverable as of this writing

They didn't want my HR20-700 back when I upgraded just a couple of weeks ago.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...