Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GENIE LITE coming?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

They didn't want my HR20-700 back when I upgraded just a couple of weeks ago.

Im guessing He means out of the HR24s.
Because they told me to keep my HR23 as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

They didn't want my HR20-700 back when I upgraded just a couple of weeks ago.

Well the HR20s have been been on the non-recover list for at least 2 years!  You would think if the HR24s (HR24-100 to be exact) are not longer recoverable, anything below that is considered the same.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Im guessing He means out of the HR24s.

Yes

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

For the term 'lite' I expect this Genie will either have less tuners or no mini clients.

With DirecTV not taking any HR2x back, I expect it would be a less tuners, replacement for the HR2x,  model, as I hope for a no mini client version.

What difference does having minis make?  Why would you not want one that can do minis, you can simply not use them if you don't want to.

#25 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,737 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

What difference does having minis make?  Why would you not want one that can do minis, you can simply not use them if you don't want to.

How about a "lite" that has 3 tuners thats dedicated to the minis while leaving the 5 tuners open and available on the main Genie?

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Did we think there'd be one with 5 - even 5 years ago?

The HMC was announced almost ten years ago for delivery on or around EOY 2005.

Perhaps the most exciting development will be the year-end launch of the DIRECTV Home Media Center to provide whole-house connectivity with all multimedia systems, along with mobility for devices outside the home. Content in a variety of forms — digitally recorded video, photos and music — will be accessible from every networked TV in the house. Through a broadband connection, the DIRECTV Home Media Center will support personal computer connectivity, scheduling of DVR
recordings from the Internet, photos from wireless phones, video-on-demand and many other features.

Here's the 2005 CES press release:

http://investor.dire...e7-74e9176728b3

Prior to this there was speculation of a six-tuner modular unit.
  • damondlt likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,903 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

Wonder if DirecTV will ever make a STB that could also work with a WiFi/Bluetooth keyboard?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Wonder if DirecTV will ever make a STB that could also work with a WiFi/Bluetooth keyboard?

I'll wager they leave that to apps on various devices.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   bill875

bill875

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Today DirecTV told me to keep my HR24-500 with a failing hard drive as they are shipping a replacement to me.  I just have to send back the access card, which seems odd.

#30 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Today DirecTV told me to keep my HR24-500 with a failing hard drive as they are shipping a replacement to me. I just have to send back the access card, which seems odd.

Other posters have also stated Directv hasn't been asking for there HR24's back either... it's yours now. Every receiver I have leased so far, I haven't had to return since they were obsolete when they failed. Now if my HR44 fails tomorrow I guarantee they will want it back. If you stay with directv longer than 2 years the lease program is actually better than owning, get to keep it anyways.... and usually no up front cost.

Edited by mexican-bum, 03 September 2014 - 05:51 PM.

• bill875 likes this

My Setup: 5-LNB Dish | SWM-16 | HR44-700 | HR24-200 | HR24-500 | Two HR22-100's

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Other posters have also stated Directv hasn't been asking for there HR24's back either... it's yours now. Every receiver I have leased so far, I haven't had to return since they were obsolete when they failed. Now if my HR44 fails tomorrow I guarantee they will want it back. If you stay with directv longer than 2 years the lease program is actually better than owning, get to keep it anyways.... and usually no up front cost.

But even if they don't want it back, you can't do as much with a leased box they don't want than an owned box.

#32 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

But even if they don't want it back, you can't do as much with a leased box they don't want than an owned box.

I have no idea of the actual policy of old lease receivers, all I know is my brother now has two of my old lease HR2* DVR'S under his account as owned. Access card dept made him pay for 2 access cards but that's it. He as a very low tier plan and doesn't carry protection plan so if they fail he is out of luck.... but again that's just my experience with it, not sure of actual policy.
  • neelync likes this

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

As far as I know, that is not policy.

#34 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

As far as I know, that is not policy.

You maybe right, we did do them at separate times though, the hr20-700 was probably over 2 years ago, more recently had an hr22-100 replaced with a hr44-700, was a few months ago, and we did it again, my cheap brother even tried to get them to waive the $20 card fee but they absolutely refused. Lol!

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

There isn't much you can do with cardless boxes either way whether owned or leased. If it comes down to being able to recover some of the additional cost you paid to get an owned box, reselling is not really all that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...