Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GENIE LITE coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

The info came from a Technician in the test market for it.

It's quite amazing how far off the mark these reports can be.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,871 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

I'm probably going to mess up this "quote", but I recently read a comment where someone said that most new product "leaks" are more like leaky toilets than leaky sinks.

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,378 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

The info came from a Technician in the test market for it.

Enough said!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,172 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

Well actually it does.  An HR44 is a H=HD R-DVR fourth generation=4 four room dvr=4

A C41 is a fourth generation compatible device that works in one room. 

And a major point of the genies is they are five tuner.  They have always considered tuners to be a differentiation in models. You know this...

What we know is that the number of tuners isn't part of the model number and if all the Genie boxes can ever support is three clients, that wouldn't surprise me in the least. Most who are clamoring for more Genie tuners are using two or fewer clients and have no inclination to use more in the future. Perhaps they're being unrealistic about DIRECTV allowing multiple Genies or they just don't like the idea of such dependence on a single box.

The Genie model numbering scheme is a new one for DIRECTV. They seem to have reversed the digits in the model numbers. If they were trying to be consistent, the HMC would have been the HR40 and the HR54 would be the HR42. The whole HMC/Genie thing might have been an attempt at taking the significance out of model numbering so DIRECTV can continue to "get away with" marketing different iterations (I hesitate to call them generations as they aren't that disparate) as functionally equivalent.

Going from a 700MHz processor to a 1GHz processor or a larger hard drive is hardly a quantum leap. It is almost demanded as the component marketplace marches forward.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#55 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,378 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

H44 just looks like 5 tuner Non. DVR HD Media Center that serves 4 rooms with Clients.
Now are the clients the same as the Genies, or is there other clients that don't dvr?

Edited by damondlt, 26 May 2015 - 08:17 AM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#56 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,465 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

DIRECTV doesn't represent the number of tuners in their model numbers so that portion of you're rationalization doesn't make sense.

You misunderstood my point. The claim made was that there have been five iterations of a beta test product called "H44", the second iteration of which had 5 tuners the 5th iteration of which (coming only 2 1/2 months later!) has 12 tuners. I'm not making any claim about the product name having anything to do with the number of tuners it has.

Personally I think the "technician in a test market" is just seeing how outrageous of a claim he can make and have people believe him ;)

• damondlt and jimmie57 like this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Personally I think the "technician in a test market" is just seeing how outrageous of a claim he can make and have people believe him ;)

I will state: he doesn't have a clue.

As all should know by now:

Anyone with a clue isn't going to say squat until the release time.

A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

I will state: he doesn't have a clue.

As all should know by now:

Anyone with a clue isn't going to say squat until the release time.

Though from time to time there are hints... ;)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Though from time to time there are hints... ;)

How's your testing of the KS line coming?

• Tom Robertson likes this
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

How's your testing of the KS line coming?

Can't say anything yet, though am looking forward to writing the First Look with a great team. ;)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#61 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

Worlds longest wait for the KS line...  ;)

#62 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Worlds longest wait for the KS line...   ;)

A line so incredibly full featured does take time to develop. :)

Go Packers!

#63 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 284 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

A line so incredibly full featured does take time to develop. :)

I realize you're very limited in what can be said, but is there any more information out there on what this "KS" line is or what it is expected/predicted to offer? Is it just a different type of receiver/software or something else?

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#64 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

I realize you're very limited in what can be said, but is there any more information out there on what this "KS" line is or what it is expected/predicted to offer? Is it just a different type of receiver/software or something else?

The KS series is a long running joke around here about a unit that would include everything all the way up to the Kitchen Sink. :lol: it started back when we used to have a thread dedicated to a wish list and some of the items in the wish list where a little over the top so the mythical KS series was born to take care of that..

Really, I am sure when any new products are ready to come out, there will be a real first look posted here, based on the long history of that happening...

#65 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 284 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

The KS series is a long running joke around here about a unit that would include everything all the way up to the Kitchen Sink. :lol: it started back when we used to have a thread dedicated to a wish list and some of the items in the wish list where a little over the top so the mythical KS series was born to take care of that..

Really, I am sure when any new products are ready to come out, there will be a real first look posted here, based on the long history of that happening...

Haha, very nice. Thanks for filling me in. Must've been something well before my first post here.

Yeah, I've noticed the first looks and find them very interesting.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#66 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, there was so much speculation in 2006 and 2007, I mentioned the KS line would replace the HR line someday. Yes, for Kitchen Sink. :)

Thanks, Inkahuts for bringing back some fun memories. 

Peace,

Tom

(Looking forward to the KSR-W clients. Kitchen Sink with Roku, wireless. They should be in field testing "soon".) :)

Go Packers!

#67 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, there was so much speculation in 2006 and 2007, I mentioned the KS line would replace the HR line someday. Yes, for Kitchen Sink. :)

Thanks, Inkahuts for bringing back some fun memories. 

Peace,
Tom

(Looking forward to the KSR-W clients. Kitchen Sink with Roku, wireless. They should be in field testing "soon".) :)

Just give me a one button PIP toggle and I'll be happy. I couldn't care less about the rest of the added on features. :D
  • lugnutathome likes this

#68 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

So much for my fishing trip  :blackeye:

I thought I would get much more mileage out of it. :biggrin: 

A.K.A VOS

#69 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

!rolling

#70 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

So much for my fishing trip  :blackeye:

I thought I would get much more mileage out of it. :biggrin:

Whisper I can't confirm: SWiM technology is being replaced. The new technology is will be SwAK*, perfect for your fishing trip, camping, RVs, boats, and tailgating.

*Swiss Army Knife technology. :)

Peace,

Tom

• lugnutathome likes this

Go Packers!

#71 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 9,491 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Here is the First Look for the H44 Genie Lite:  http://www.dbstalk.c...r-external-hdd/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...