Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

When is the "NFC EAST" championship game? Is there even one? I'm not aware of such a game on the schedule. :)

i was talking about the week 17 game because the last 3 years that game has decided who won the NFC East
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

i was talking about the week 17 game because the last 3 years that game has decided who won the NFC East

I wondered later if that might be what you meant...  Dallas has just been this weird experiment in mediocrity for years now.  You hate when your team sucks, but usually sucking is followed by some improvement eventually... that "worst to first" thing happens in several divisions... but somehow throughout it all, Dallas manages to stay just good enough to not be crappy and just crappy enough not to be good.  It's actually kind of amazing to stay that mediocre.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

The whole GIANT team is broken now.

JACK,

#24 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Zimmer is the real deal!

#25 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Are we allow to discuss Rodger Goodell press conference?

#26 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

What I got from the press conference is Roger Goodell speaks in riddles

JACK,

#27 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

Are we allow to discuss Rodger Goodell press conference?

Sure

JACK,

#28 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Domestic violence is a big problem in our country not just in the NFL. It would be great if the NFL got it right but it has to be address in a national level. Advertisers like Budweiser might condemn what is happening in the league but most of the cases of domestic abuse I have seen in my lifetime have had alcohol as a contribuing factor.

#29 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

That was the irony that Jon Stewart pointed out a couple of nights ago.  The company who is the major manufacturer of what it perhaps the biggest contributor to domestic violence is telling the NFL "Uh, hey, you've got a problem..."

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

As long as we stay civil and don't attack each other (which would be ironic given the sub-topic) I think the current events of the NFL are ok to talk about here.  Just keep it civil.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

As for my opinion... it's nuanced, so I hope the message comes clear.

I abhor domestic violence, spousal/child abuse, and any other euphemism you want to use. I wouldn't want to associate or be friends with a person who does such things repeatedly, especially one who does such things while sober and in control reasonably of his faculties.

Having said that, I get to a grey area when it comes to "you should lose your job" over this stuff.  If it doesn't happen in the workplace and doesn't happen to another employee of the workplace... my general stance is that companies should stay out of it, with a minor exception. I can see where you are facing criminal charges and your employer might put you on paid leave while the courts sort things out. That makes sense from a "taking care of employees" and "taking care of the company" perspective... send you away while you deal with the case in court. If you are convicted, a company is generally within its rights to fire you and you might be in jail anyway.

Now... there is the court of public opinion... so IF I don't like a spouse/child abuser... I might decide the NFL isn't a sport for me to watch anymore... and maybe a lot of people do that... so the NFL might think it needs to address that by cutting ties.  To me, this gives them the right to put in place policies and restrictions and people who work for the NFL sign contracts to some moral clauses of "being a good citizen"...  I point to things like it is legal to drink alcohol and even to be drunk, but most employers have policy against coming to work drunk... and that's a minor thing.

So... if the NFL wants to make policy and consistently distance itself from abusers... that seems legal to me... and I would be fine with it... and it would probably help keep me a viewer if I was inclined to tune them out over a scandal with a player.

But what I don't like... is how it seems right now... that it isn't the NFL being against spouse/child abuse... but that it only cares about losing revenue... so IF the public left them alone, we wouldn't be seeing talk of new policies against something that should be obviously wrong.  I lose respect for the NFL over how it seems the crimes allegedly (and actually in several cases) are not as despicable to them as is the potential for lost customers...  The NFL, to me, seems to be responding to public outrage rather than being outraged themselves... so I find much of their policy to be lackluster and accidentally positive going forward.

#32 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Good third week. Giants have settled down and got their first win. Great Eagles/Redskins game. My hat's off to Quarterback Nick Foles for hanging in there after taking all those hits. Shame about Terry Bradshaw's son-in-law.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#33 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

9:30 am football game Lions Falcons. I'm going to feel like I'm on the west coast.

JACK,

#34 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

And people on the west coast are going to feel like they're in Hawaii.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...