Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Setting up RVU on new Samsung TV's

RVU HR44 HR34 GENIE Samsung

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tdogdfw

tdogdfw

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

**** UPDATED WITH FIXES****

So I purchased a new Samsung TV today and plugged in my Ethernet connection to the TV and immediately the HR44 RVU device showed up as a video source.  I was hoping that was all I had to do.  Boy was I disappointed.  I'm not sure if these steps are all correct, but here's the steps required to get it to work

1. Tried to connect to the HR44 and received a message that said I reached maximum connections (when I had none) - appears I had to call DirecTV to enable this feature.  I called DTV and gave them the MAC address of the TV NIC.  It turns out DTV will charge me $6/month for each TV, even though I am not purchasing any new equipment.  So I'm charged $6/month whether I have a set top box or not.  Was I done?  No.
  2. When I then tried to connect to the HR44 I entered the PIN and after a few seconds an error returned during a MOCA Test (48-269 = Home Networking issues).  I have CAT6 run throughout my house connecting to a 24 port smart switch and then to an ASUS U68 WiFi router ($200).  I was curious why I was getting an error during MOCA test when I am using Ethernet only.  So back to the phone to talk to DTV.
  3. It turns out the woman said I need a DECA 2 adapter connected to the TV which she said she would send out for free.  I told her I didn't want to use Coax and wanted to do everything over Ethernet.  Obviously Ethernet was working since it was communicating to the HR44.  Her knowledge was limited and told me I need this adapter.  This also means I am required to have an RG6 cable into the room (which I do), but I really wanted to use Ethernet. As it turns out you only need the DECA adapter during setup.  Once I set up the TV properly I was able to use just the Ethernet connection and no need for Coax or adapters.
  4. During initial setup I was forced to use the DECA adapter but still got the error above, 48-269, which indicated a network problem and showed two MAC addresses.  It turns out these MAC addresses were other DECA adapters on the network.  I unplugged the two adapters from the other TVs in my house and setup completed.  I was then able to remove the DECA 2 adapter from my RVU TV and only used Ethernet... works great!

I am waiting on the DECA 2 adapter but my assumption is that this adapter will plug into the RG6 AND Ethernet connection on the back of the TV.  I am also assuming that I will get Internet traffic routed over the RG6 from the HR44 which is connected to the switch and will actually act as another switch?

I read some confusing posts which led me to believe I might be able to remove the adapter and ONLY use Ethernet once the device has been setup the first time.  Is this true, or am I stuck with using RG6 and a DECA 2 adapter for good?  Do I need something connected to my HR44 as well?

It also appears that Samsung TV's in the past would work over Ethernet, but a recent firmware update to Samsung TVs may have caused this new requirement to use the DTV network over RG6.  True?

I'm happy to update the item numbers above as a concise list of what to do when I get some additional answers.  Thanks

Edited by tdogdfw, 26 August 2014 - 05:07 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

I am waiting on the DECA 2 adapter but my assumption is that this adapter will plug into the RG6 AND Ethernet connection on the back of the TV.  I am also assuming that I will get Internet traffic routed over the RG6 from the HR44 which is connected to the switch and will actually act as another switch?

No, the DECA attaches to ONLY the TV’s ethernet port.  Hopefully you get the one that the power supply as you will that 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

I read some confusing posts which led me to believe I might be able to remove the adapter and ONLY use Ethernet once the device has been setup the first time.  Is this true, or am I stuck with using RG6 and a DECA 2 adapter for good?  Do I need something connected to my HR44 as well?

Correct, you only need it during set up, but why remove it if works….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

It also appears that Samsung TV's in the past would work over Ethernet, but a recent firmware update to Samsung TVs may have caused this new requirement to use the DTV network over RG6.  True?

Actually the update came from DirecTV®.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

So where does the "no more wires" come into play?
So the smart tvs need coax?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#6 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

So where does the "no more wires" come into play?
So the smart tvs need coax?

The coax with a DECA adapter is currently required to test the signal quality to the TV.  Once the TV RVU is linked to a Genie, it can be put back on a Ethernet connection - assuming it's the same network that the DECA cloud is on.

Not sure where the 'no more wires' you reference unless it's the add for the Wireless client.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Every directv commercial.
Haven't you seen the string puppets?
No more wires.
Eithernet cable is a wire and wireless mini still needs a wire to the tv.
So again I though rvu tv uses the tvs wireless adapter to connect to the wireless Genie Hr44
Is that not correct?

If not that is 100% false advertising.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

The DirecTV commercial with the puppets advertises their own Wireless clients and not the DirecTV ready TVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

The DirecTV commercial with the puppets advertises their own Wireless clients and not the DirecTV ready TVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not wireless at the tvs.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#10 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Your code 48 suggest the HR44 saw something on the MoCA network it didn't like. Do you have any other receivers that can see the HR44 over whole home, have a BB Deca installed on your router, or have a WVB installed?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

The TS appeared to be concerned about putting the Smart TV Internet traffic on the DECA cloud and removing the DECA adapter addresses that concern.

Edited by harsh, 18 August 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Your code 48 suggest the HR44 saw something on the MoCA network it didn't like.

Specifically, "network interference".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

The TS appeared to be concerned about putting the Smart TV Internet traffic on the DECA cloud and removing the DECA adapter addresses that concern.

I'm not sure where you're reading this.  He just said he wanted to use Ethernet.

There's no worry putting the Smart TV internet traffic on the DECA cloud.  A typical stream is less than a MRV bitrate.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm not sure where you're reading this.  He just said he wanted to use Ethernet.

There seemed to be some concern about routing the Internet traffic through the Genie.

There's no worry putting the Smart TV internet traffic on the DECA cloud.  A typical stream is less than a MRV bitrate.

It isn't so much the bitrate of Internet stuff that is the big concern. It is the number of data packets that come from loading even a single web page that may be a cause for concern.

#15 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

There seemed to be some concern about routing the Internet traffic through the Genie.
It isn't so much the bitrate of Internet stuff that is the big concern. It is the number of data packets that come from loading even a single web page that may be a cause for concern.

If you had a DECA cloud you might have some experience with it and could speak with some expertise.  I do and I have a lot more traffic on my DECA cloud than just DirecTV traffic and there's no worry.

I can't believe you equate the number of packets in a single web page to a video stream.  How ridiculous!!

#16 OFFLINE   tdogdfw

tdogdfw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

No, the DECA attaches to ONLY the TV’s ethernet port.  Hopefully you get the one that the power supply as you will that 

Unfortunately they sent me the wrong adapter.  There was no power injector with it and am still dead.  Should there be some power supply?  On the back of the DECA adapter there is a sticker above the Ethernet connection that says power.  Does power come through the Ethernet port somehow?  Would a PoE connection work (not that I have one)?

BTW - you are da man.  Thanks for your incredible response to this board.

Edited by tdogdfw, 20 August 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   tdogdfw

tdogdfw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Because I don't want a bunch of cables... I assume I would need the power adapter plugged into the DECA adapter as well for it to work?   The power adapter will also need a plug to a power outlet.

Edited by tdogdfw, 20 August 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Unfortunately they sent me the wrong adapter.  There was no power injector with it and am still dead.  Should there be some power supply?  On the back of the DECA adapter there is a sticker above the Ethernet connection that says power.  Does power come through the Ethernet port somehow?  Would a PoE connection work (not that I have one)?

BTW - you are da man.  Thanks for your incredible response to this board.

Yes, you will need a power adapter.  This power adapter connects to another small adapter which turns coax into a “pin hole” type plug where you will connect the DirecTV® universal power supply.  PoE does not work with the BroadBand DECAs.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Because I don't want a bunch of cables... I assume I would need the power adapter plugged into the DECA adapter as well for it to work?   The power adapter will also need a plug to a power outlet.

If you are using coax networking you must keep the power supply connected at all times

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RVU, HR44, HR34, GENIE, Samsung

Protected By... spam firewall...And...