Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External hard drive for Directv receivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Ok I've got a friend who has a h24-100 dying and they have a service call set up to get it replaced, but of course they're lamenting the loss of all their recordings. Question is can they get an external hard drive and transfer their recordings to it and then be able to watch their recordings off that hard drive when it's hooked up to the replacement receiver? I tried to look this up using the search but the threads it pointed me too were very long and I was hoping someone would be nice enough just to give me a quick answer here, thanks in advance!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

In a word, no. The internal HDD (hard drive) is bound to that receiver. It cannot be copied or relocated. Tell your friend that time is of the essence--aka, use it or lose it. As will all DVRs, storage is temporary...there was never any implication the recordings would last forever, nor is it meant to be used to store recordings for long periods.

There may be some built-in diagnostics and/or repair apps that can extend the HDD life a bit, and experts on this board are better able to guide you in that direction.

Good luck!

-=K=-

Edited by kaminar, 18 August 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

That's what I needed to know, thanks for the quick reply!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Just to add: The external drives that some use to increase storage: they also cannot be played on a DVR other than the one that recorded on it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Unless it's over the air recordings. Those can be transferred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

Either a capture device or Hauppauge HD PVR device,  or DVD Recorders with HDD in them,  are only ways to keep recordings.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...