Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Long Island HR-44?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LILax

LILax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I do installs, don’t know where they come from

If I were to prewire a stretch (from attic to behind wall to TV), what wire would I use? Or would the tech allow me to use the install wire he has and fish it myself (to not pay any fees)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm no installer but I have used RG-6 already terminated from Monoprice for 50' lengths from my pole mount to the basement SWiM-16.

If it's an easy pull, I'd install a pull string for the installer and with a tip he'd probably not charge you.  Or order RG-6 from Monoprice or SolidSignal to be sure.

• LILax likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

If I were to prewire a stretch (from attic to behind wall to TV), what wire would I use? Or would the tech allow me to use the install wire he has and fish it myself (to not pay any fees)?

RG6 SCC is what DirecTV® uses.  The problem with using “my” wire is that I am not waiting for the customer to fish it if is a complicated fish. I have been through this rodeo many times, “oh it will take me 5 minutes” then I am all done and waiting 2 hours + for customer to finish.  

• LILax likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   LILax

LILax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm no installer but I have used RG-6 already terminated from Monoprice for 50' lengths from my pole mount to the basement SWiM-16.

If it's an easy pull, I'd install a pull string for the installer and with a tip he'd probably not charge you.  Or order RG-6 from Monoprice or SolidSignal to be sure.

Thanks for the response. I like your idea with the pull string!! :righton:

#25 OFFLINE   LILax

LILax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

RG6 SCC is what DirecTV® uses.  The problem with using “my” wire is that I am not waiting for the customer to fish it if is a complicated fish. I have been through this rodeo many times, “oh it will take me 5 minutes” then I am all done and waiting 2 hours + for customer to finish.  

Thanks! I decided against going through the attic. Rather, I'm going through the basement, where I have already set up a pull string for the RG6. If you're my installer (by chance), I wont waste your time :)

#26 OFFLINE   LILax

LILax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for your help everbody!! I had a sub of mastec (who possibly worked for Smart Circle) come out (all the way from Massachussets :eek2: ) for the install today! I did get an HR-44, which I am very happy about. My installer was actually great. He was very proffesional and took his time to make everything neat, even leaving me some slack to route the wire under the eaves from the dish. He routed brand new cable  throughout the house, even putting a neat seal where it enters (unlike cable :sure: ). The tech used a mix of black cable outside to white cable inside (which actually said Time Warner Cable on it), to the splitter, then white to the tv and black to the bridge. The TVs look great, even the wireless clients. Again, thanks for all of your help!! Maybe I can answer peoples questions now :righton: . Thanks!!!!

Edited by LILax, 22 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   LILax

LILax

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Also, what is the purpose of the power inserter? (It is located right next to the hr-44). Also, is it normal to use the TWC cable (that says perfect flex time warner cable series 6 CATV)?

Edited by LILax, 22 August 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Also, what is the purpose of the power inserter? (It is located right next to the hr-44). Also, is it normal to use the TWC cable?

The Power Inserter powers the LNB.  He must have 'found' a reel of TWC cable.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#29 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

No it is not normal to use TWC coax. He is using unapproved cable but it most likely will work fine.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

No it is not normal to use TWC coax.

Is more normal than you think.  I have yet to see a prewired house with SSC RG6. Most everyone uses CCS

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...