Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Issues with friends HR34-extreme slowness

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

I have a friend with an HR34 that has been complaining of lockups and extreme slowness, including when using 30 skip. I had him run clearmybox, and this was his response:

"Disaster. Took 30 minutes to do, all recorded shows are gone." then a few minutes later "record light just came on and all shows are back."

They aren't the fastest to boot of course, but 30 minutes seems excessive (though makes me realize I never have timed mine). Or are these symptoms normal for a clearmybox reset? I know it clears the guide, but didn't think the playlist would have to rebuild.

I had him run a surface test, he said he saw it at 90% and no errors. This morning the screen was gone so he doesn't know what happened in the last 10%.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure the symptoms alone would get him a replacement without the "it won't turn on" bit.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

About a month ago someone posted similar issues. Turned out their dish was out of alignment. HD sats had signals in the 60s and 70s. After alignment problem gone.

Also I have experienced home network conflicts will slow down a Genie. I'd run it without internet connectivity to see if that improves things.
  • jimmie57 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

I sent him the signal strength chart, I'll post it when I can after I get the results. I'm doing a bike share build tonight so will probably be posting them late unless he sends me the results when he gets home.

He did have major signal issues when he first subscribed several years ago, apparently part of the assembly was backwards and was resolved later.

I also asked him if there was a particular screen it hung on. He wasn't watching the whole process. He started the reboot then switched over to a movie he rented.

"I flipped back near the top of the hour and saw it was stuck. If memory serves, it was on refreshing the guide. Five minutes later it was at the same spot. Turned off the box and back on again and it started moving forward".

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,842 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have 2 HR24-100 receivers. Last time I got new software one started filling out the guide data in a normal time.

When I checked the one in the bedroom it had only loaded a few hours or maybe a day. The one here in the den had already loaded a week.

I ran the clearmybox on the one in the bedroom and it took 11 minutes. It now has the guide data filled out.

I have read more than one post that the internet was slowing down an HR34. The advanced Boolean searches also cause major slow downs in some cases.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I know there have been posts of them slowing down, but this seemed to be beyond that.

I thought of the booleans, but he doesn't like that concept (is also against the triple tap input method), so that's not an issue here.

I also want to be careful of the advice I give him. Once on his old box (HR22 I thinl) I suggested he erase NVRAM, find out later he started doing that every day.

Based on his results last night, I don't think he'll do a clearmybox every day :)

• jimmie57 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

He hasn't sent me the data yet, and he found out today that he failed his Certified Financial Planner exam, so he is in no mood to play with signal strength screens.

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Yeah that is a bad day

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, particularly with the classes and everything else, he has a year and a half of work in it.

#9 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

This is normal behavior for the HR34 - they are POS. I have 3 of them - same issues.

If you have the disk filled up - or even a bigger drive - the issue comes with the recording programs disappearing on boot - and re-appearing 20-30 minutes after boot. BTW, they do not take 30 minutes to boot. I imagine he is talking the 10 minute boot and then the 20 minutes or so before the programs re-appear.

He did not tell you this, but if you hit menu, it will also only show you the Setup Menu.

If you hit list, it says 100% free.

It has nothing to do with signal strength.

The unit will speed back up in response if you delete the majority of the programs on the drive. Does not matter if they are marked Keep until I delete or delete when disk full - they are still indexed on the disk.

I have 4TB in Genies and they take 30+ seconds to respond after a command. They are slugs.  

As the HR2x slowed down with bigger Hard Drives, what I believe is going on is the programs are indexed and held in memory - however, the more recorded programs, the larger the memory needed. I suspect that either the units are hitting a ceiling as to the size of available memory and this is causing them to run slow - or they do not have the cpu horsepower constantly updating the data management.

They really are a POS.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 21 August 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

I have a 4tb almost full in my HR34 and it does not take 30 seconds to respond all the time. It did at one point, but I found out I had a bad hard drive by putting it in a computer and running diag on it. With a new one, it's just been slow sometimes, but not 30 seconds, that's ridiculous.

The time in boot is what I always see too,it's some sort or process it runs. Can happen on any genie, but the hr44 is much faster at rebuilding. I think that's the processor differences myself, but not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

I wish I can get another HR44 to replace the HR24 since it's slow also,  it's like the SW updates made them worse

apart from the HD GUI transition that started that way to begin with.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

He generally keeps it fairly clear, not as much as he used to though. I think when I saw it a week or two ago, it was about 20% full. He used to make sure by Sunday night it was empty, but I think he gave up on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

It's not really about being full of recordings,  to me is SW updates not bolding well with these receivers,  case in point my HR24 was not as slow as before these recent updates,  And I have 80 percent free space,  I remember the original SD UI days,  when HR24's were as fast as HR44's,  now it seems no different than the HR22 I previously had.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

when HR24's were as fast as HR44's,  now it seems no different than the HR22 I previously had.

The HR24 were never as fast as the HR44, but now that we know “faster” the HR24 seems slow

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

It's not really about being full of recordings,  to me is SW updates not bolding well with these receivers,  case in point my HR24 was not as slow as before these recent updates,  And I have 80 percent free space,  I remember the original SD UI days,  when HR24's were as fast as HR44's,  now it seems no different than the HR22 I previously had.

Interesting assertion.

How have you tested to prove that statement?

I've tested with full hard drives and empty hard drives on multiple Genies (including a Genie that is offline now and has not had the sw updated for over a year).

I can tell you the difference is night and day depending on full drive or empty drive.

Again, even if the DVR says you have 80% free, if you have programs marked keep until disk full, they are still there and being indexed in memory.

Love to hear how you have determined the number of recorded programs on the hard drive has nothing to do with it.

Or is this just a random statement?

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 22 August 2014 - 10:31 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...