Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Series just stopped recording. Plus other symptoms.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Todd2

Todd2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

I have experienced a couple series episodes that just shut off recently on my hr34. Out of the blue, it just stopped recording. I noticed it on one about 15 minutes after it stopped and restarted the recording. I noticed another thread about this and I think a reset was recommended.

But my problem I found tonight is a little different and I wanted to post about it. I have been recording 'rookie blue' on my hr34 for a couple years. Everything worked fine. But I happened to look at that channel and realized the season apparently started back up and the season finale was a couple weeks ago and I have apparently missed the last handful of episodes.

The series is still in the list.
I looked back through history and it didn't list this series on the day it was supposed to record.
The DVR is not fully utilized on that time and day.

So what could could cause this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

It's a known problem with Rookie Blue and other series from Canada or the UK. The "first shown" date in the guide data is set to the date the program was first shown in Canada and so "first run" won't record it because it looks like a repeat.. You have to set the series link to record "all episodes".

This is the fault of the channel (ABC in the case of Rookie Blue).

#3 OFFLINE   Todd2

Todd2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Ok. Thank you. I guess I need to read the forum more frequently!

Any other series that you can think of that have the same issue? Or a link to where it may be detailed? I searched prior to posting this thread for 'rookie blue' and it returned no results.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Here's the first thread I found:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ng#entry3272896

#5 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

It's a known problem with Rookie Blue and other series from Canada or the UK. The "first shown" date in the guide data is set to the date the program was first shown in Canada and so "first run" won't record it because it looks like a repeat.. You have to set the series link to record "all episodes".

This is the fault of the channel (ABC in the case of Rookie Blue).

It is not ABC's fault. It is the guide providers using Canada info for first shown in the USA.

TiVOs do not have this issue for example.

Complain to DirecTV.

It is similar to the bug from 2 weeks ago when the PGA ran over until 9pm and CBS bumped Unforgettable and Reckless) even though the DirecTV unit recorded what it thought was them that night.

Then last Sunday, when the first run programs were on, even though the Guide Info said "first aired 8/17/2014" the DirecTV units did not record them because it thought the programs had already been recorded and deleted.

Again, a DirecTV issue. Not an ABC or CBS issue.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 22 August 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

It is not ABC's fault. It is the guide providers using Canada info for first shown in the USA.

Complain to DirecTV.

It is similar to the bug from 2 weeks ago when the PGA ran over until 9pm and CBS bumped Unforgettable and Reckless) even though the DirecTV unit recorded what it thought was them that night.

Then last Sunday, when the first run programs were on, even though the Guide Info said "first aired 8/17/2014" the DirecTV units did not record them because it thought the programs had already been recorded and deleted.

Wait until the NFL season starts...if you don't pad CBS recordings in particular (and by a LARGE amount), you will miss all sorts of stuff.

While the Guide-Centric approach of D* can be convenient, it produces all sorts of unintended consequences that have to be "worked around". Unfortunately, most of us have had to find these things out the hard way.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Complain to DirecTV.

The guide provider gets the info from the channel. That makes it an ABC problem. And DirecTV does not touch the info at all. If the DVR records what it thinks is the program, then it won't record it again because it is a duplicate, that's how the DVR works.

And as hasan posted, just wait until football season. Because the guide does not get updated "in real time" (which is by the way very difficult) you will miss big pieces of programs following football games because they overrun.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

The guide provider gets the info from the channel. That makes it an ABC problem. And DirecTV does not touch the info at all. If the DVR records what it thinks is the program, then it won't record it again because it is a duplicate, that's how the DVR works.

And as hasan posted, just wait until football season. Because the guide does not get updated "in real time" (which is by the way very difficult) you will miss big pieces of programs following football games because they overrun.

Yep, I have to pad “60 minutes” by at least 3 hours during NFL

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, the CBS football thing is not Directv - during football season, with Dish, we always had to set The Amazing Race and the Mentalist to record 90 minutes long, and even then we recorded the shows after them 90 minutes long also, just to make sure. PIA but at least once you know to do it there are ways to ensure you get all of your show recorded.

#10 OFFLINE   GLJones

GLJones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

It would be nice if the networks could broadcast a coded schedule change signal in their broadcasts that DVRs would understand. When a live event overruns, the network would notify devices in real-time inside the broadcast telling them to override the guide data and capture the program correctly.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

It would be nice if the networks could broadcast a coded schedule change signal in their broadcasts that DVRs would understand. When a live event overruns, the network would notify devices in real-time inside the broadcast telling them to override the guide data and capture the program correctly.

It would! 

One reason they don't is it will create havoc in some situations, and you know who'd get the phone calls on that.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Actually, this is not a flaw in the system; the system is working fine, and as it should.

It is a flaw in managing the system. When there is a runover, there needs to be a timely update to the program guide for the system to remain accurate. But sadly, late updates rarely if ever happen.

Honestly, DTV should hire a team of 4 or 5 folks who are on the alert for late changes 24/7/365, and can roll with the punches by updating the program guide before the DVR records something other than what it thinks it is recording. These folks could do other work for them in their down time.

The "first-run" bug is also something that could be monitored and corrected by this team. But even though they have something like 26 million subs in the US and another 18 million in latin american countries, they won't spend the 150k it might take to make that happen, which works out to about a third of a penny per subscription, per year.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

VOD will solve a lot of these problems.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...