Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading SD to Genie - DTV giving me a new SD DVR too.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

I have an R15-500 and an old (dead) HDVR2. 

I called DirecTV to get an HD  DVR for my new flat screen TV.   I only have one HD TV.  I decided on the GENIE unit,  which will be an extra $3/month (mostly because of the extra DVR storage,  and the picture-in-picture).    Told them I will be keeping my R15-500 (I own it). 

So they transfer me over  to the people who confirm that you (meaning me) understand the new 2-yr commitment etc.  That dept tells me I am getting a new GENIE *PLUS* a new SD  DVR unit because of equipment incompatibility. Supposedly it won't cost me anything extra.  I was confused,  so a supervisor gets on and only tells me again the SD DVR is no charge.  Nothing about the reason why.

The very first rep did not say anything about me getting a 2nd new unit nor any incompatibility of my R15-500.  So my question is,  what is the incompatibility of my existing R15 unit with a new GENIE and new HD dish?  I am happy about getting a new SD DVR as well,  since my R15 sometimes flakes out on me (I already swapped out the power supply  with an eBAY bought unit,  when it died).

Another question,  how many wires are needed for the GENIE?  Will my existing RG6 wires be OKAY?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

The R15 SD DVR does not work with the Single Wire Multiswitch dish setup, which is required by the Genie HD DVRs.  So they'll replace your R15 with an R16 SD DVR that is compatible. 

Only one coax feed is required for the Genie DVR.  Your current RG6 cables should be just fine. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

But here's the thing, the replacement would be leased. In this case, I'm not sure if having the Protection Plan would keep the replacement as owned.

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

I would like to know, after the job is done, did they replace it with an HDDVR in light of the new rule about installing only HD equipment in new installations.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I would like to know, after the job is done, did they replace it with an HDDVR in light of the new rule about installing only HD equipment in new installations.

I think that policy is for NEW installations, i.e. starting a new account, not adding new equipment to an existing account.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   joeerror

joeerror

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

If it's owned you should be able to activate and deactivate the R15 as you choose with no agreement. Perhaps you could pay a custom installation fee to the installer to install an external SWiM module and run the Legacy ports to the location of the R15? Then deactivate the R16 and reactivate the R15. Pretty dependent on the tech though, I don't think customer service would be able to set that order up for you.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Nope, SD equipment has NOT been eliminated.  Existing subs are able to order SD equipment if they would like.  This would be a “system swap” which is like for like replacement  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

What most reps do in this case, is to offer a mini to replace the SD DVR.  If I was the TS, I would call back and ask if that would be possible 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

There was some discussion of sending an HD DVR to replace my working R15,  and a "converter" for it to work with my SD TV.  But then a supervisor authorized an SD unit like it was a "special" override.  Now that I think about it,  an HD unit would be easier on me if I do get a 2nd HD TV.  I ass-u-me that the converter is end-user removable?

#10 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

There was some discussion of sending an HD DVR to replace my working R15,  and a "converter" for it to work with my SD TV.  But then a supervisor authorized an SD unit like it was a "special" override.  Now that I think about it,  an HD unit would be easier on me if I do get a 2nd HD TV.  I ass-u-me that the converter is end-user removable?

Yes, the adapter / converter could be removed by you.

Edited by jimmie57, 23 August 2014 - 09:14 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Not sure what they where referring to.  Perhaps an RF modulator?  Does your TV have composite inputs?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

TV has coax input,  s-video input, single (yellow) video RCA input as well as the R-G-B component RCA inputs.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

TV has coax input,  s-video input, single (yellow) video RCA input as well as the R-G-B component RCA inputs.

Then you wont need any “converter”  all HDDVRs have composite outputs (yellow RCA type connection)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Then you wont need any “converter”  all HDDVRs have composite outputs (yellow RCA type connection)

Even though this is a non-HD TV?     Won't the HDDVR video signal not work on a SD TV?  Or does the HDDVR also output an SD video signal?

#15 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Even though this is a non-HD TV?     Won't the HDDVR video signal not work on a SD TV?  Or does the HDDVR also output an SD video signal?

It does put out SD signals. Does your TV have the red, white and yellow connections or just the coax connection ? The Genie will connect to the red , white and yellow connections.

#16 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

It does put out SD signals. Does your TV have the red, white and yellow connections or just the coax connection ? The Genie will connect to the red , white and yellow connections.

And the RCA  red/white for left/right audio.

#17 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

And the RCA  red/white for left/right audio.

The R, G and B for video would probably be the best SD picture if you set the resolution to 480p in the Genie or other receiver.

The other red and white is for left and right audio.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...