Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I suspend 10 months a year?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

So I suspended my account last month and have been getting along just fine with OTA and an Amazon Prime subscription.  I really love the NHL playoffs and soccer's Champions League final rounds though.  As I understand it, you can only suspend an account 6 months a year and I would like to suspend my account for 8-9 months a year.  I have an HR20 that I gather would not be recovered if I canceled D* completely so can I just cancel every year and sign up for a few months a year?  Why does D* cap suspensions at 6 months, if a person is out of contract and has non-recoverable equipment it shouldn't matter how long they want to suspend for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

If you cancel and sign back up, expect a two year contract.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I think a six-month cap on suspensions is pretty reasonable.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#4 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Do they require a contract even if there is no new equipment/install needed?  Assuming you pay the full package rates, that is.

#5 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

Do they require a contract even if there is no new equipment/install needed?  Assuming you pay the full package rates, that is.

I guess that's the question I am really asking here.  If they do require a contract when there is no new equipment/install needed, I may just cut the cord completely as I think that would be ridiculous and completely unjustified.

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

ASK DIRECTV?

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

In the past, there may have been cases that didn't require a contract but now I think all "new installs" carry a contract.

I'm not 100% sure though. I'd bet there are some members here who do know the answer.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

They use to let me call back at the end of six months and add a month but now its six months only. If the receivers are owned there should be no contract but call to be sure.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#9 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

So I suspended my account last month and have been getting along just fine with OTA and an Amazon Prime subscription.  I really love the NHL playoffs and soccer's Champions League final rounds though.  As I understand it, you can only suspend an account 6 months a year and I would like to suspend my account for 8-9 months a year.  I have an HR20 that I gather would not be recovered if I canceled D* completely so can I just cancel every year and sign up for a few months a year?  Why does D* cap suspensions at 6 months, if a person is out of contract and has non-recoverable equipment it shouldn't matter how long they want to suspend for.

They are not recovering HR20s any longer.

Apparently they are not even recovering some HR24s.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 22 August 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

The suspension rules are abundantly clear:

Requirements for putting your service on hold.

Zero balance on your bill
Customers with only 1 account are allowed a maximum of 2 suspend requests every 12 months
Customers with 2 or more accounts are allowed a maximum of 4 suspend requests per account every 12 months
Total time with service suspended per 12 month period cannot exceed 6 months
The minimum time for an account suspend is 30 days

Additional reminders about putting your service on suspension:

Service agreements are extended for the amount of time the account is in suspension. For example: Your service agreement expires in June, but then you suspended the account for 4 months. The updated service agreement now ends in October
Recurring or promotional credits don't get extended. For example: You currently have 6 months left of a $10 for 12 months credits offer, but suspend your account for 2 months. You will forfeit the credits during the time in suspend. Your account will receive the remaining 4 months of credits when it is reinstated from suspension
If there is an active sports subscription installment payment on the account, any remaining multi-pay charges are billed to your account when it's reinstated from suspension even if the season has ended.

DIRECTV has chosen to leave the intermittent customers to DISH and cable where they are treated more or less like you would expect (although DISH charges $5/month).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

The other side of this axe is that you cannot open a new account without leasing at least one piece of equipment.

I've heard the re-virgination process may be possible in less than 12 months now but the commit on the leased receiver is going to foul EVERYTHING up.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

There's not much profit for Directv in a customer that's only active two months a year, it would take a long time to recover the cost of the install, providing equipment that sits idle most of the year (or recovering it and providing new equipment every year) and having CSRs deal with the customer starting/stopping service.

So it is easy to understand why they simply don't allow it.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

There's not much profit for Directv in a customer that's only active two months a year, it would take a long time to recover the cost of the install, providing equipment that sits idle most of the year (or recovering it and providing new equipment every year) and having CSRs deal with the customer starting/stopping service.

Of course they're also guaranteed that said customer will be theirs for 12 years to fulfill the programming commitment.

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Of course they're also guaranteed that said customer will be theirs for 12 years to fulfill the programming commitment.

With a 12 year commitment I want at least a ring. :)

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

I don't think they want that customer for 12 years, because the profit on service for only two months out of the year doesn't make up for all the hassles I outlined. Not to mention that in 12 years there will be technology changes. Imagine a customer today who has been with Directv since 2002. They could conceivably have had their dish upgraded four times: from 18" round to triple sat to AT9 to Slimline to SWM, five installer visits for a customer that only pays them two months a year.

Edited by slice1900, 23 August 2014 - 10:42 AM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

They could conceivably have had their dish upgraded four times: from 18" round to triple sat to AT9 to Slimline to SWM, five installer visits for a customer that only pays them two months a year.

The customer would likely have to pay for each visit. It would take them a few years just to become eligible for the maintenance plan.

#17 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I can't help but think that if you can do without pay TV for 10 months out of the calendar year, do you really need the other 2? Even if it's just to follow a Sport, does any have a season that short?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I can't help but think that if you can do without pay TV for 10 months out of the calendar year, do you really need the other 2? Even if it's just to follow a Sport, does any have a season that short?

Seasons are longer than a couple of months ... but if all one cares about is the final few games a couple of months would work. The thread starter mentioned "the NHL playoffs and soccer's Champions League final rounds". March madness would be another good time to get a subscription so one could see the games only on "cable" leading up to broadcast TV finales.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I can certainly see why D* would not want to invest in hardware for a customer who is only active 3 months a year.   But in my case, I am out of contract, I still have my original install dish and equipment from 8 years ago.  The equipment is so old that D* does not bother recovering it anymore.  If I paid full price for my service for the months I am active which I am fully willing to do, I don't see how D* loses anything with me doing this.  I guess I will just call and see if they will agree with me or not, I will post back here so everyone can know what their policy is on situations like this.

#20 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

They do spell the rules out fairly clearly in the help section (see below).   If you are willing to pay for 3 months total, you might try this.  Suspending service for 6 months, then pay for 1 month.  Call back the next month to ask for it to be suspended for 3 months.  Maybe they wouldn't look in the history to see if you already suspended in the past.  At least it would be worth a try.

Current requirements for putting your service on hold:

Zero balance on your bill
Customers with only 1 account are allowed a maximum of 2 suspend requests every 12 months
Customers with 2 or more accounts are allowed a maximum of 4 suspend requests per account every 12 months
Total time with service suspended per 12 month period cannot exceed 6 months
The minimum time for an account suspend is 30 days

HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...